Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don’t have beers with someone who speaks in absolute terms and isn’t open to debate.

False statement. See I can do it too. Doesn’t help
Really man? It’s basic physics. Four wheels will hold a corner better than RWD. Note...I said handling...perhaps I should have said cornering.

I never said one is better than the other.

All I said is that AWD is not only for weather. There ARE advantages to AWD to RWD other than weather. Drifting is not one of them. RWD has advantages as well obviously.

To add...an AWD car can act as a FWD or RWD. RWD will always be RWD.

So...I’ll have a beer with someone else. Thanks.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
All I said is that AWD is not only for weather. There ARE advantages to AWD to RWD other than weather. Drifting is not one of them. RWD has advantages as well obviously.

To add...an AWD car can act as a FWD or RWD. RWD will always be RWD.

So...I’ll have a beer with someone else. Thanks.
As long as it is real beer, not Bud Lite type stuff.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Everytime there’s a new thread and someone wants to ask a legitimate question about the G70, two things always happen. First, someone starts complaining that the discussion should be in some old discussion thread that may be difficult to find or doesn’t answer the question. Then someone else starts getting personal with another poster and drives away the others who don’t want to have to read about other people’s squabble.

Can we create a separate special thread just for people who want to start arguments?

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I am with Edp, to avoid repeat discussions, please let this thread be and if need please feel free to continue the discussion here:

Driving feel of 3.8 RWD vs 3.8 HTRAC?
If you're going to send people to another thread you might want to send them to a relevant one. That's for the G80, not the G70.

Last edited:

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Everytime there’s a new thread and someone wants to ask a legitimate question about the G70, two things always happen. First, someone starts complaining that the discussion should be in some old discussion thread that may be difficult to find or doesn’t answer the question. Then someone else starts getting personal with another poster and drives away the others who don’t want to have to read about other people’s squabble.

Can we create a separate special thread just for people who want to start arguments?

Lol that's a very accurate assessment.

Gennnnnnnnnesis

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If you're going to send people to another article you might want to send them to a relevant one. That's for the G80, not the G70.
That too and that this is a FORUM where discussions come up. This isn't wikipedia where you store all the chats in an organized fashion, kinda kills the whole point.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That too and that this is a FORUM where discussions come up. This isn't wikipedia where you store all the chats in an organized fashion, kinda kills the whole point.
I agree 100%. I'm just here for good discussion and to live through the rest of the people who have one until the 2020 model comes out. Then I can really join in the fun.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Do you think the 2020 model will be much different?
I don't think it'll be that much different, but I think we'll at least get the power closing trunk and possibly the digital cluster on high end trims. I'm planning to buy it though instead of leasing like I usually do, and I don't want to own a first year model. I know Genesis is good on reliability, but I'd have more peace of mind owning a 2nd year. By then, any small things that cropped up will likely be fixed. I haven't really heard of any, but that's just my reasoning.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't think it'll be that much different, but I think we'll at least get the power closing trunk and possibly the digital cluster on high end trims. I'm planning to buy it though instead of leasing like I usually do, and I don't want to own a first year model. I know Genesis is good on reliability, but I'd have more peace of mind owning a 2nd year. By then, any small things that cropped up will likely be fixed. I haven't really heard of any, but that's just my reasoning.
Not faulting your reasoning--but sometimes I think of this as being a "2d year model;" the G70 has been out in several other countries for quite some time before it made it to the U.S., so I think some of the issues have likely been worked out.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Not faulting your reasoning--but sometimes I think of this as being a "2d year model;" the G70 has been out in several other countries for quite some time before it made it to the U.S., so I think some of the issues have likely been worked out.
Yeah I can see your point. Stinger was the same way though, and it's had multiple issues. Hell, they're doing buybacks for some cause of paint issues. Also, if it's something that doesn't crop up for a while, the further out from the first model the more likely it is to show up. Now do I actually think I'd have a problem? I don't think so, but can't hurt to wait, especially with the possibility of added features. I've got a 2018 Terrain Denali (first year model, on lease, that has had minor annoyances the dealer had to fix) already that I bought less than a year ago and the G70 is just going to be my second vehicle. So I really have no reason to rush. If I needed a vehicle right away, I would just go ahead and get it. I'm just in a position to be able to wait, especially since the dealer network sucks. My local dealer still doesn't have any despite telling me they would have them by the end of last year.

When that new model comes out though, an AWD one will be mine, even if I have to travel to get it.

Daveydukes

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
There have been other discussions on this that you may want to search for. Once in the past few days, in fact. If you live in snow country, I'd go with AWD.
I concur, AWD is the way to go. My 2012 4.6 Genesis RWD is terrible in snow.

kenbefound

Registered Member
Springfield, MA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
While I read a couple reviews that preferred RWD I'll quote one legacy media review (R&T); "...the all-wheel-drive version is not our first choice. The rear-wheel-drive car, equipped with an electronic limited-slip differential, is nimbler, turning in more eagerly, despite considerable howl from the front tires". Here is the full article; 2019 Genesis G70: The Road & Track Test

I'd actually like to test drive the two back to back but RWD is not available in my neck of the woods. I'd have to travel South, I think Virginia or WV has them available. Personally RWD is what I'd go for; in part because I'm partial to the bright 10 spoke rims. Then put the saved $2K towards a dedicated set of rims/snow tires for Winter driving.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.