RWD vs AWD

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I do agree with this, so many times it seems they’re just saying shit because they feel they are required to in order to make sure others know they are part of the ‘car guy’ tribe.

All I’m saying is this could be proven if a reviewer wanted to. Take the same trim of both and awd and rwd g70, throw it on the skid pad, the drag strip and then you have your data. That way you can choose handling or speed or both if one happens to come out on top. I genuinely don’t know how that would play out and don’t think I’ve ever seen a test like that

I think one thing we haven’t mentioned that’s important for anyone to know: awd has higher drivetrain loss compared to rwd. Meaning more power from the engine is lost compared to what gets put to the wheels. We’re talking 5-10% more loss but it should still be called out
The drivetrain loss is offset by the extra AWD traction at least a little. On the non staggered setup, 225 tires are too skinny for all that torque!
Also since power is primarily going to the rear, the loss is not as extreme as FWD based AWD.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think one thing we haven’t mentioned that’s important for anyone to know: awd has higher drivetrain loss compared to rwd. Meaning more power from the engine is lost compared to what gets put to the wheels. We’re talking 5-10% more loss but it should still be called out
But is that true all the time. The G70 can put almost all drive towards the rear wheels acting like a RWD car.

So in that sense...the AWD can act like RWD (as in the G70) but has the benefits of handling and 4-wheel traction when needed. RWD cannot emulate AWD no matter what you do.

Proof is in the pudding. M5 is AWD now...and the new M3 will be AWD as well. Porsche would probably chime in on that as well ;)

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
But is that true all the time. The G70 can put almost all drive towards the rear wheels acting like a RWD car.

So in that sense...the AWD can act like RWD (as in the G70) but has the benefits of handling and 4-wheel traction when needed. RWD cannot emulate AWD no matter what you do.

Proof is in the pudding. M5 is AWD now...and the new M3 will be AWD as well. Porsche would probably chime in on that as well ;)
Formula one has something to say to all of them.
Those automakers might be catering more to what the market wants, not what is best. That’s why SUVs exist :p

I don’t know; it might be that in perfect conditions rwd is better but in the real world, the one we all drive in, awd is the choice that actually is better for performance driving because roads suck, the weather sucks and you can actually put your power down. I think that might be the crux of it

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The drivetrain loss is offset by the extra AWD traction at least a little. On the non staggered setup, 225 tires are too skinny for all that torque!
Also since power is primarily going to the rear, the loss is not as extreme as FWD based AWD.
Let’s see some 4 wheel burnouts! Something rwd will never be able to do haha

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Very true. The handing characteristics will vary with the situation too. They are often testing under conditions we get to see only a small part of the time. It can be fun to let loose on the back roads but the opportunity is minimal. Most of the driving we do though is a commute to work in some traffic, a trip to the grocery store with the kids.

I have AWD and lived in snow territory and it was really nice to have on the hills. Now I live where there is no snow and no hills and I honestly cannot tell what the difference in handling is 98% of the time. Chances are, I will pass on AWD next time.
WI originally was shopping RWD only but could only test drive stinger with AWD it was ok. Then tested g70 and it felt alot better and with lsd was a positive. Then with the drift mode. What sold me on AWD was 2nd test drive in Hard Rain. We do not get much snow here but I felt more comfortable since I will be traveling in the car.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't usually floor it at a stop, and traction from snow, and most of the time wet, is a non-issue. I like lighter weight and a smaller turning radius. So RWD is better for me personally. The weight of Hyundai's AWD system is especially a downside since it's front heavier and increases overall weight by 200 lbs.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't usually floor it at a stop, and traction from snow, and most of the time wet, is a non-issue. I like lighter weight and a smaller turning radius. So RWD is better for me personally. The weight of Hyundai's AWD system is especially a downside since it's front heavier and increases overall weight by 200 lbs.
I have hydroplane spun and hit jersey wall. I believe if it was a AWD I would been able to control better. And would not have even spun much less hit the wall. Although did not have RWD traction control either.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've had the 5.0 with both RWD and AWD. AWD wins ever time in overall drivability and I would never go back to a RWD Genesis. The biggest advantages come in cool wet weather combined with poor road surfaces or wet leaves on pavement. Those conditions simply don't affect the AWD system's ability to propel the car as if it's a nice sunny day. The RWD, not so much - lots of wheel spin, traction control interference, and loss of acceleration.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Same here in Florida, no desert but almost like it. RWD for me too.
I spend some time in Florida each winter and for the most part agree with you - the road surfaces are VERY grippy to the point where I can almost hear the rubber being chewed off the tires when taking off from a stop. For some reason, back in Canada the roads become worn smooth and ruts from heavy trucks to the point where it can be hard to hook up.
I do appreciate the AWD even in Florida though. Especially when I back onto a local sandy beach to deploy our inflatable dinghy for a day on the water. The spot is actually on an incline back to the paved road. I wouldn't attempt it with RWD.
Other strong points with the additional front end weight of the 5.0 is accelerating around a corner. Where the RWD seemed heavy and ponderous, the AWD system kicks in with a 50/50 split on corners making the car seem lighter.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the 3.3T AWD and really enjoy it in sport mode. In normal mode on snow, all of the nannies really kill the fun but that's what is so great about the car! So many options for how you want it to handle. My car doesn't have the LSD and it still seems to hang out the rear end in power on oversteer just the way I want it too! I also love being able to rocket from a stop in any weather conditions with tons of traction.

I've not driven the rwd model but I'm sure it's alot of fun. I think this just comes down to preference and requirements.. both great options and ultimately not fwd!!

Last edited:

Truck Norris

Soon to be new owner of a 2.0t sport (read RWD) here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Previous vehicle was a truck with 4WD and i'm not worried at all about driving through the winters with RWD and a good set of studded snow tires. Given the number of days with an actual build up of snow on the roads i'll just drive accordingly or wait until the plows go by if its bad enough people shouldn't be driving.

Heated Steering Wheel - standard on Canadian 2.0t sport models FYI.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Soon to be new owner of a 2.0t sport (read RWD) here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Previous vehicle was a truck with 4WD and i'm not worried at all about driving through the winters with RWD and a good set of studded snow tires. Given the number of days with an actual build up of snow on the roads i'll just drive accordingly or wait until the plows go by if its bad enough people shouldn't be driving.

Heated Steering Wheel - standard on Canadian 2.0t sport models FYI.
I thought heated steering wheel is only on AWD? Perhaps that’s only in the USA.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was slightly questionable about my AWD choice. Now that I own and have spent some time in the car, I love the AWD and almost dont think I would notice the difference unless I was on a track. This car exceeded all my expectations.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.