• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

RWD vs AWD

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Personally RWD is what I'd go for; in part because I'm partial to the bright 10 spoke rims. Then put the saved $2K towards a dedicated set of rims/snow tires for Winter driving.

Agreed with the look of the 10 spokers - they just look so good. I'll be getting the sport trim with the 5-spoke rims, and I would actually love to trade them for the 10-spokes instead.

kenbefound

Registered Member
Springfield, MA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Agreed with the look of the 10 spokers - they just look so good. I'll be getting the sport trim with the 5-spoke rims, and I would actually love to trade them for the 10-spokes instead.
Agreed, but I love the look of the sport rims on the red G70 with the darkened trim. But mister cheapo here, only looking for a RWD w/ Advanced trim.

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not the G70, but here's a relevant excerpt from a recent Motor Trend article on the closely related Stinger.

"Unless you really, truly, totally—be honest now—need AWD, I beg, plead, and implore you to go with the rear-drive Stinger. I've driven both versions back to back, and the RWD version steers, drives, and feels so much better. The rear-driver is 150 pounds lighter, and all of that extra heft sits over the front wheels. As for the Audis, all are Quattro (except for the loss-leader $349-a-month lease specials that are FWD), and although they drive well, there's no replacement for a proper rear-driver. Just the facts."

2018 Kia Stinger GT Review - Long Term Update 5 - MotorTrend

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really wish we could have a real discussion about this. What motortrend said is the same thing Ive seen at car and driver, jalopnik, etc and Id like to know more. it seems odd that all these car people would be saying the same thing

I think there are two big differences between the G70 and Stinger when it comes to their respective AWD systems.

First, the AWD G70 has a rear LSD. The AWD Stinger does not (RWD does, though). This is important as it allows for power-on oversteer and gives an even stronger RWD 'feel' even though it's an AWD drivetrain.

Second, TCU software. When the traction control is turned fully off it allows up to something like 97% of power to go to the rear wheels, again enabling power oversteer.

Simply put, the G70 got things right with the AWD system, especially compared to the Stinger. So, even though the tranny and the transfer case are the same, there are other factors (listed above) that substantially change the behavior of the entire system to the point where you can't really compare them directly. That said, MotorTrend and Jalopnik are right - the Stinger's AWD system kind of really sucks. The G70's AWD setup, on the other hand, kicks ass.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think there are two big differences between the G70 and Stinger when it comes to their respective AWD systems.

First, the AWD G70 has a rear LSD. The AWD Stinger does not (RWD does, though). This is important as it allows for power-on oversteer and gives an even stronger RWD 'feel' even though it's an AWD drivetrain.

Second, TCU software. When the traction control is turned fully off it allows up to something like 97% of power to go to the rear wheels, again enabling power oversteer.

Simply put, the G70 got things right with the AWD system, especially compared to the Stinger. So, even though the tranny and the transfer case are the same, there are other factors (listed above) that substantially change the behavior of the entire system to the point where you can't really compare them directly. That said, MotorTrend and Jalopnik are right - the Stinger's AWD system kind of really sucks. The G70's AWD setup, on the other hand, kicks ass.
this is great info! I do think the type of AWD system matters, the same way the rwd diff matters. I do wonder though, if the awd in the G70 is supposed to almost go to 100% rwd in 'sporty' driving then wouldnt that mean that they know that rwd is the ideal driving dynamics for sporty driving? I dont know if that 5-10% going to the fronts would pull you out the corner any better than having less weight all around in a RWD version of the same car

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good point on the differences between the Stinger and G70.

I'd be curious to see more G70 reviews directly discussing the differences between the AWD and RWD, subjectively and objectively. The Motor Trend COTY article tested both (minimal differences in objective test data) and seemed to favor the RWD ("this one, with rear-wheel drive, put it all together for me"), but nothing substantial. The Road & Track article mentioned previously (post #40) preferred the RWD more explicitly.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
this is great info! I do think the type of AWD system matters, the same way the rwd diff matters. I do wonder though, if the awd in the G70 is supposed to almost go to 100% rwd in 'sporty' driving then wouldnt that mean that they know that rwd is the ideal driving dynamics for sporty driving? I dont know if that 5-10% going to the fronts would pull you out the corner any better than having less weight all around in a RWD version of the same car
With traction and stability off full time 90% to rear wheels called by Genesis "Drift Mode". And I will say I thaught the Awd g70 felt a lot better then awd stinger.

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Some journalist just say shit to hopefully get street cred! RWD, stick, hydraulic power steering, etc.
How many of these guys even know the difference between a good steering or a clutch pedal anyway?

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The GT2 version (highest trim) of the stinger has an LSD. I wonder which version was tested. All the other trims do not have LSD.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The 2018 GT2 model didn't have it on the AWD though, while the G70 does.

According to Kia ^ the LSD is standard on the GT2, and optional on the GT. AWD is optional on all trims.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
[/URL]

According to Kia ^ the LSD is standard on the GT2, and optional on the GT. AWD is optional on all trims.
Ok, so I followed the Stinger release religiously before deciding to go for the G70 instead. As you can see in the circled portion from the Kia site you just linked, there is no LSD if you get AWD. It's RWD only. The AWD models only have torque vectoring. There's even forums with people talking about possibly installing LSD in their 2018 AWD models.

Attachments

Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Some journalist just say shit to hopefully get street cred! RWD, stick, hydraulic power steering, etc.
How many of these guys even know the difference between a good steering or a clutch pedal anyway?
I do agree with this, so many times it seems they’re just saying shit because they feel they are required to in order to make sure others know they are part of the ‘car guy’ tribe.

All I’m saying is this could be proven if a reviewer wanted to. Take the same trim of both and awd and rwd g70, throw it on the skid pad, the drag strip and then you have your data. That way you can choose handling or speed or both if one happens to come out on top. I genuinely don’t know how that would play out and don’t think I’ve ever seen a test like that

I think one thing we haven’t mentioned that’s important for anyone to know: awd has higher drivetrain loss compared to rwd. Meaning more power from the engine is lost compared to what gets put to the wheels. We’re talking 5-10% more loss but it should still be called out

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums