SPYSHOTS: The next generation of the Genesis G80 is here

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I'm not holding any hope for the V8. As many posts have put it, the expense of keeping a limited production engine is a fruitless endevour. I anticipate Hyundai/Kia will use turbocharged 4 and 6 cylinder engines, along with hybrid/electrification, going forward. If the 3.5TT can produce as much power, with considerably lower weight, higher fuel economy and lower production costs...well, that's the future. I count my self lucky in that I purchased a V8 Genesis. I've always wanted a reliable car with a V8 and rear wheel drive.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Car companies are starting to tease what they are bringing to NY AutoShow keep a look out. Hyundai has already mentioned the Sonata but the Venue was just announced as well to come to NY. Here is hoping Genesis announces something this week or next week.

Aura

Registered Member
It would be cool to tease something on April 1st.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think it'll be hard to extrapolate the performance of the 2.5T from the Sonata's 2.5L. I feel like 2.0T engines, which compete with V6 engines, perform completely differently from 2.0L, which are entry level economy cars. Plus the 2.5L is just starting in the Sonata and is also a prototype, so there's a ton of iteration still required on it.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think it'll be hard to extrapolate the performance of the 2.5T from the Sonata's 2.5L. I feel like 2.0T engines, which compete with V6 engines, perform completely differently from 2.0L, which are entry level economy cars. Plus the 2.5L is just starting in the Sonata and is also a prototype, so there's a ton of iteration still required on it.
The reason why Hyundai is getting rid of the Theta 2 2.0T is because that engine in countless situations has caught fire. The 2.5T is named Theta 3. The 2.5T longitudinal will only be for the Genesis brand while the 2.5 Latitudinal will only be given to models in Hyundai and Kia’s lineup.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Oh man, the interior render shows a tablet in the top of the dash. I went to the interior spyshots page (link below) and you can see the tablet in the pics.

Not sure how well that's gonna turn out.
Genesis G80 Shows the Interior in New Spy Shots - Korean Car Blog
Not a fan of the tablet look. They look like an afterthought. Like, oh crap we forgot something; eh let's just stick it up here. I call them lollipops.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Car companies are starting to tease what they are bringing to NY AutoShow keep a look out. Hyundai has already mentioned the Sonata but the Venue was just announced as well to come to NY. Here is hoping Genesis announces something this week or next week.
By the way, the new Sonata is really nice looking (except for the tablet infotainment). It has some G70 lines on it.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
By the way, the new Sonata is really nice looking (except for the tablet infotainment). It has some G70 lines on it.
You and I both, I especially like the sport version. One thing I am not a fan about is that it contains the 1.6T but only has 180 HP which is down compared to the out going model.

Attachments

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You and I both, I especially like the sport version. One thing I am not a fan about is that it contains the 1.6T but only has 180 HP which is down compared to the out going model.
1.6T? On the sport version? How disappointing. Downsizing engines is the trend unfortunately. I would have thought at least the 2.5T on the sport, otherwise it is just cosmetically a sport. With the 2.5T, the Sonata woukd have outpowered the much more expensive MB E300.

idlemind

Hasn't posted much yet...
Texas
Genesis Model Type
I like everything about the look of the Sonata except,,,,, the rear end. The lights on the trunk, and also the trunk lip just are not doing it for me. Other than that it looks great to me.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I guess it makes sense since it won’t be on sale until the 2021 MY. Maybe introduced in the fall/ early winter with sales next Spring but anything can happen.
They said it was going to be revealed this and then the GV80 will also get revealed. I believe that maybe the G80 is delayed so that Genesis can come out with the GV80 first.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
They said it was going to be revealed this and then the GV80 will also get revealed. I believe that maybe the G80 is delayed so that Genesis can come out with the GV80 first.
That could be it. Originally I thought it was going to be a 2020 but those are already shipping to Canada with just minor changes according to some posts on here. I guess the US could be different but more than likely will follow the same MY schedule as Canada.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
): I wonder how long we have to wait now?
It truly sucks because I and I think all of us were looking forward to the revel of this new model. Reasons why I think they delayed it
1. Dealers are complaining that Genesis has gone and done only sedans, 3 of sedans, while the current market place is at SUV’s

2. Genesis is probably pressured from multiple angles that they need to bring a SUV to the market earlier then they thought before we get the new G80.

Aura

Registered Member
It truly sucks because I and I think all of us were looking forward to the revel of this new model. Reasons why I think they delayed it
1. Dealers are complaining that Genesis has gone and done only sedans, 3 of sedans, while the current market place is at SUV’s

2. Genesis is probably pressured from multiple angles that they need to bring a SUV to the market earlier then they thought before we get the new G80.
We’ll just have to wait and see, hopefully the cars will be worth it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.