SPYSHOTS: The next generation of the Genesis G80 is here

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That looked like a transmission tunnel?
I don't thinks so, taking a shot from the video, it is being used for the exhaust, and if you look early in the video, the tunnel dumps off before the rear seat and goes flat, so there is no way a drive shaft into a rear pumpkin would fit in there unless those pieces of sheet metal are reworked or replaced:

Also the video clearly shows a FWD motor installed:

I guess it might be possible to make some modifications to covert from FWD to RWD, but each platform presents its own set of requirements for safety, performance, rigidness, impact resistance, weight balance, etc. and I can't see a universal platform for both meeting all those requirements. But i'm not a design engineer so who knows.

Aura

Registered Member
Australia
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This article claims the new G80 will be released in September (Korean market?); '원조 제네시스' G80 완전변경모델의 예상 가능한 변화 here is one section translated; Hyundai's premium brand Genesis' flagship volume model 'G80' will be released in September as a new model in the domestic market. The new models, which will be released as third-generation complete-change models, are expected to become more prominent with the new application of large-sized vehicle platforms, major changes in interior design, various travel convenience, and safety specifications.

According to the related industry on May 5, Hyundai Motor will begin trial production of the new G80 in July, and final quality check will be conducted this summer, and new car will be launched in domestic market in September.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
I think it'll be hard to extrapolate the performance of the 2.5T from the Sonata's 2.5L. I feel like 2.0T engines, which compete with V6 engines, perform completely differently from 2.0L, which are entry level economy cars. Plus the 2.5L is just starting in the Sonata and is also a prototype, so there's a ton of iteration still required on it.
True, but at the same time, can see the potential of the new 2.5L w/ boost.

The reason why Hyundai is getting rid of the Theta 2 2.0T is because that engine in countless situations has caught fire. The 2.5T is named Theta 3. The 2.5T longitudinal will only be for the Genesis brand while the 2.5 Latitudinal will only be given to models in Hyundai and Kia’s lineup.
The Theta II is also simply outdated.

Genesis had stated that both the GV80 and new G80 would launch this year, but that most likely meant a Korean launch w/ the US debut not til next year (1 or 2nd Q).

Don't think it really makes a diff. which gets launched first as it should within months of each other (maybe as little as 6 weeks btwn the 2).

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yeah considering the G70 released in 2017 September and was first scheduled for US release in 2018 Spring, there shouldn't be too long a difference. However, the G90 has felt like it's taken a while.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Looks like we for sure will see no reveal of the new G80 or GV80 at the NY Auto Show. I'm gonna say that the new models will follow a reveal/availability plan similar to the G90.

I saw a pic from the NY auto show earlier that showed the rear end of a 2019 G90.... seriously? Where's the 2020?

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looks like we for sure will see no reveal of the new G80 or GV80 at the NY Auto Show. I'm gonna say that the new models will follow a reveal/availability plan similar to the G90.

I saw a pic from the NY auto show earlier that showed the rear end of a 2019 G90.... seriously? Where's the 2020?
Genesis was supposed to show the refreshed G90 but for some reason they delayed it. I love Genesis and all but when they say New York is the second home of Genesis at least give us a concept car that is good and shows off what a future product looks like instead of some urban car. Also reveal new models here as well, I’m pretty tired of having to constantly check the Korean side of Genesis for new models.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Personally the biggest disappointment from the NY Auto Show was the Mint Concept. Genesis always hit it out of the park in my opinion for concept cars and I looked forward to it every year but this time it was just bland and pretty boring. I really wanted to see a Coupe of a G70 in concept form with the new face on it. On the other hand the model that surprised me when it came to design was the 2020 Cadillac CT5. That model looks amazing and honestly props to Cadillac for finally figuring out their new design language.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
2020 G90 is not presented at the NY 2019. Dunno what's going on with Genesis.
Hope maybe they went back to the drawing board to fix the messy updates. Or even better, a completely new model instead of the awkward facelift.

Netrics

Hasn't posted much yet...
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
They are rolling over the 2019 G80 model to 2020 in Canada so far (USA website hasn't been updated yet), and this new 3rd Gen will likely be a 2021 model for domestic markets outside of South Korea.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!