SPYSHOTS: The next generation of the Genesis G80 is here

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
As a Genesis fanboy and future owner of the next gen G-80, it's a bummer that we will be waiting longer than anticipated to see the reveal.

But I also agree that the GV80 should come first. SUV's and trucks are the biggest sellers in North America. Genesis needs to get in the game and fast.

I also remember the new AR heads up display articles saying that Genesis is planning on the new G80 having it in 2021. That seems to jive with the next gen G80 model being a 2021.

Man, this car better be worth the wait!

Aura

Registered Member
I just realised, I read the article and the design boss stated that the EV concept and G90 would be at the New York Auto Show. However, would he reveal if the new G80 or GV80 are to be revealed? If they were to be, I would say it would be kept secret until closer. Therefore there is still a chance the new G80 or GV80 will be at the show. The designer wouldn’t want to spill a secret like that I imagine, so there could still be a possibility?

Aura

Registered Member
Also, I posted an article a few pages back... it’s in Korean where the CEO of Hyundai Motors confirmed the new G80 will be released this year. The translation said at the end, but it wasn’t specific.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Also, I posted an article a few pages back... it’s in Korean where the CEO of Hyundai Motors confirmed the new G80 will be released this year. The translation said at the end, but it wasn’t specific.
That probably means in Korea. I think they are usually a MY ahead of NA.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

XBOHDPuKC

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Most people have no idea of the amount of work going on at Genesis. Typically, automakers are working about 4 years ahead. It takes a lot of man hours to put out the new G90, a couple of SUVs and have a new G80 in the works, and at least some changes for the G70 next year, even if minor. Even more time as a new chassis is part of the next generation.

There are a lot of parts from many suppliers that all have to fit together. Amazing how it all comes together.
In the meantime Lincoln Aviator looks amazing :)

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
I fail to see Ford competing in quality ,warranty coverage & durability with Hyundai/Kia. Wife( She has 2015 Soul leased & about to trade in on new 2020) & I have been driving Korean cars now for 7 years & no issues.
U.S vehicles just don't compete.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
We’ll just have to wait and see, hopefully the cars will be worth it.
Leaving the current G80 untouched for another year is not a bad thing, it is a nice car. If they totally redesign it as a new car, I remain optimistic. If the do a mid-cycle refresh with end cap facelifts, I cringe at what it will look like. Fingers and toes crossed.

Aura

Registered Member
Unfortunately Genesis hasn’t launched here in Australia, having been delayed since 2017 and the new planned vehicles are having an effect on when the brand will launch. They’re also building a huge store in a mall to coincide with the release of the brand. We don’t get the G90 either.

Last edited:

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Unfortunately Genesis hasn’t launched here in Australia, having been delayed since 2017 and the new planned vehicles are having an effect on when the brand will launch. They’re also building a huge store in a mall to coincide with the release of the brand. We don’t get the G90 either.
Missing out on a heck of a car with the G90.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
It is Hyundai's tradition that higher end model will get latest tech the soonest, so G90 will get new powertrain no later than the G80.

The 3.5T V6 will have similar hp as the V8, but significantly more torque, make no sense to keep the V8.

Not sure whether the 10AT project still exists or not in the corporate. They usually file US patent for new transmission design well before it goes into market (same for other companies - Aisin, ZF, GM/Ford etc.), and this was the case for the current 8AT. But right now, I have not seen any patent filing from Hyundai related to 10AT.
My wife has a 3.5T engine in her Expedition, and not only does it not make the best sounds under acceleration, the fuel mileage is appreciably less than advertised. Turbo engines are basically a means of lying to the EPA. I'd rather have a V8 (though I realize I'm in the minority).

Last edited:

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
In the brochure i saw it says sequential turn signals. no way thats for usa since its not allowed. also the blue interior is not foe here.
Doesn't the Mustang have sequential turn signals in the rear? And I believe the C8 Corvette does as well. Did you mean they're illegal in the front?

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Actually from the looks of it it might just be only the park button that is a puch while everything else is is via rotary dial kind of like the old phones In the day where you have to spin it to get the dial number.
I have the rotary dial selector on my wife's Expedition, and honestly it's not that bad. My only complaint on the Expedition is that it's placed right next to the drive-mode selector, and isn't that much different in size.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Third Generation Platform is a Platform that Hyundai/Genesis created. The new Sonata is using this platform. It’s supposed to be reducing weight but having more strength in the steel they use. Also makes the Platform more agile. Let us see what they report on when they start teasing the G80.
Are you sure about that? The platform in the video appears to be RWD. Isn't that a transmission tunnel?

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.