SPYSHOTS: The next generation of the Genesis G80 is here

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So this is what I’m thinking. The big circle thing is the dial for the infotainment screen so it can be used either as a touchscreen or with the dial like how BMW has it. The shifter I believe is all the way in the back where the center compartment is located. I could be wrong but that’s what I can speculate after seeing the interior of the GV80 and the G80.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
This is what I LOVE to see. This is my future car right here. I'm buying one.

I agree with what Glaz is saying. The circle is a dial for selecting the infotainment. The toggle for the gear selector is just to the front of the centre console, tho it looks to be in a more comfortable position than what we saw on the GV80. I could be wrong.

So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. But I'd like to get one with the augmented reality HUD. We still don't know if it's included in the 2020 G80 model. If it's not, I'll probably hold off on the purchase until 2021.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Oh god it looks like they are experimenting with the Ford rotary dial gear selector.

That would turn me off from buying another, I can’t stand the gimmicky idiot shifter in my g80 sport now, but at least it is a shifter and not a button or a dial.

Edit. Looks like Glaz is right. The gear selector is push button like the new GM’s. EVEN WORSE imo.

Do it like button or dial gear selectors. Give me a standard slot shifter lever.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This is what I LOVE to see. This is my future car right here. I'm buying one.

I agree with what Glaz is saying. The circle is a dial for selecting the infotainment. The toggle for the gear selector is just to the front of the centre console, tho it looks to be in a more comfortable position than what we saw on the GV80. I could be wrong.

So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. But I'd like to get one with the augmented reality HUD. We still don't know if it's included in the 2020 G80 model. If it's not, I'll probably hold off on the purchase until 2021.
I believe we are going to see this model revealed at the NY Auto Show in April. We should get some teaser images within next month. So all the questions you have will be answered by that time around. I know that there is a new 3.5TT producing 400 HP. Supposedly the V8 will no longer be offered in the range but we will have to wait and see.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Oh god it looks like they are experimenting with the Ford rotary dial gear selector.

That would turn me off from buying another, I can’t stand the gimmicky idiot shifter in my g80 sport now, but at least it is a shifter and not a button or a dial.

Edit. Looks like Glaz is right. The gear selector is push button like the new GM’s. EVEN WORSE imo.

Do it like button or dial gear selectors. Give me a standard slot shifter lever.
Actually from the looks of it it might just be only the park button that is a puch while everything else is is via rotary dial kind of like the old phones In the day where you have to spin it to get the dial number.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
I pray that it's revealed in NY. I search google literally every day looking for info on the 2020 G80. I suck up as much info as I can about it. The spy shots on this site are amazing.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Actually from the looks of it it might just be only the park button that is a puch while everything else is is via rotary dial kind of like the old phones In the day where you have to spin it to get the dial number.
Yes it looks gimmicky and stupid from what I can tell, I wish car manufacturers would stop with this, it was a failure in the 60’s and it is a failure now, a simple slot selector has worked for 60 years why mess with it. Several people have Been hurt or even died from these idiot shifter designs.

Attachments

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes it looks gimmicky and stupid from what I can tell, I wish car manufacturers would stop with this, it was a failure in the 60’s and it is a failure now, a simple slot selector has worked for 60 years why mess with it. Several people have Been hurt or even died from these idiot shifter designs.
I’ll be honest I’m not a fan it either but a lot of these car companies do this in order to free up space. Also the main transmission selector I believe you are talking about is from the FCA group that the Jeep Grand Cherokee’s has where they would role back. They really didn’t do a good job with that selector and had to complete retune the software for it then replace the whole shifter itself to lever action again.

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
My question is this a refresh of the current chassis
like the 2020 G90 or an all new car? Current G80 dates back 5 years now being introduced in 2014 ?

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
like the 2020 G90 or an all new car? Current G80 dates back 5 years now being introduced in 2014 ?
From what I am hearing it is a new chassis. The G90 was a major refresh but not a full on redesign.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’ll be honest I’m not a fan it either but a lot of these car companies do this in order to free up space. Also the main transmission selector I believe you are talking about is from the FCA group that the Jeep Grand Cherokee’s has where they would role back. They really didn’t do a good job with that selector and had to complete retune the software for it then replace the whole shifter itself to lever action again.
I don’t buy the freeing up space reason, It is very easy to create a lever action switch with no mechanical linkage to the transmission that mimicks a slot selector but works like a push button, Lexus and BMW have been doin it for 5 plus years.

My RCF selector had no mechanical linkage to the transmission it was simply a spring loaded switch and took up no more room than the one in my g80. Same with my wife’s Camry and the 2012 M3 I owned.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don’t buy the freeing up space reason, It is very easy to create a lever action switch with no mechanical linkage to the transmission that mimicks a slot selector but works like a push button, Lexus and BMW have been doin it for 5 plus years.

My RCF selector had no mechanical linkage to the transmission it was simply a spring loaded switch and took up no more room than the one in my g80. Same with my wife’s Camry and the 2012 M3 I owned.
I see what you are saying but seems like Genesis wants to do something completely different in the luxury market. Remember from now on the Genesis models will not be using the same parts bin from Hyundai. They will have there own parts.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I like the new steering wheel and how they stylized the side doors a bit more. I hope the side door design looks like the Kia K900 because that car has beautiful stitching on the sides.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I see what you are saying but seems like Genesis wants to do something completely different in the luxury market. Remember from now on the Genesis models will not be using the same parts bin from Hyundai. They will have there own parts.
To an extent. There will still be a lot of common parts shared across the brands, it’s a cost savings thing. All the upper end brands do it, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
To an extent. There will still be a lot of common parts shared across the brands, it’s a cost savings thing. All the upper end brands do it, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln.
Oh I’m sure of it especially parts that we can’t see but material wise that will be Genesis exclusive.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Free up space for what? More and more manufacturers are annoyingly moving functions to the touch screen. The worst I've experienced was a Tesla Model S where there was barely any buttons and switches. I was driving in Las Vegas traffic and it took me a few mins to figure out where the function was to open the roof. I don't know how many times I took my eyes off the road to stare at the touch screen in those few mins. So many cars now have the climate and seat controls in the infotainment.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD

It's a new, lighter weight chassis.

That's a prime reason why something like the GV80 wasn't in development sooner (the current chassis already had weight problems when it came to sedans) and why it and the new G80 will hit the lots around the same time.

Like others, don't like the move from a traditional gear selector but I guess that was inevitable.

The steering wheel is a bit goofy-looking.

But I expect less so for Genesis as the others do much of their sharing on their FWD-based platforms

W/ the Genesis lineup filling out, it would be cost-effective now to manufacture different (higher-end) switches, etc.

For example, now that Genesis has crafted metal paddle shifters for the G70, expect to see it roll out to the next G80 and other Genesis models w/ paddle shifters.

There's more sharing (at least when it comes to mechanicals) w/ the Stinger and K900 (tho, they really should share interior bits like door handle releases, paddle shifters, etc. if they're not already doing so).

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.