Supercharger or twin turbo

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
You don't just install a NOS system and immediately go out & dog it. You have it carefully Dyno'd so you can see what are the parameters and what is happening at various rpms and boost, then program accordingly. A good Dyno shop that has a Ford clientele would be able to do it right. Do you think it would be easier to set up a supercharger or turbo system from scratch? Right. From what I've been told, the '13+ Tau has a very strong lower end and excellent quality materials- more German than one would think.
Why would a shop that does Ford tuning have anything to do with Hyundai's? As far as I know BTR is the only people doing tuning on the Tau engines and I dont know if they have the ability to have the timing control they need for nitrous through the stock ECM. It might need to be done with a standalone ECM and that's a whole different set of challenges.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
The Dyno shop tests will show the results need to keep air/fuel rations with in the parameters of the NOS/ 5.0 system. With the rich air/fuel ratio that the 5.0 has, NOS says a 50 -100 rwhp shot will not be a problem using the stock setup and 93 octane. I would imagine the BRT tune, since it gets most of its limited hp by leaning out the ratio, may be a problem, but that tune only gives by itself actual 15hp, so I guess I would delete it and use stock ECU if going NOS. Again, compare this to trying to engineer a supercharger/turbo integration tune to the 5.0!!! Good luck & $$$$. Don't know of any non company engineer has done it successfully yet, and how many years has it been? NOS is world known as the easiest /less expensive way to get more power and still have all the regular performance/economy of a stock engine when not used. It's not beautiful when you open the hood, no gleaming chrome supercharger or turbos hanging out showing your ingenuity and $$$ spent, but just relatively cheap hp hidden in a bottle.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
I wasnt saying use nitrous with the standard BTR tune, I was getting at that BTR is the only people making tunes for us and they 'might' be able to make a specific tune for nitrous, although it probably wouldnt be as simple as a mail-order tune like they do now, it'd probably need real dyno time. The fueling is probably within their capability but the timing control might be an issue.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Well ,I guess that our engines may be able to handle some boost in stock form. I found this supercharged 4.6 engine concept information, so Hyundai did consider force inducting the 4.6 at one time.

However, there is no information about any internal changes that may have been made to handle the extra power if any modifications was made internally. The engine block and internals may be very strong as is. Gives me hope that my 5.0 engine is built fairly well.:)
Hyundai Shows Off 460 HP Prototype Supercharged Tau V8

Last edited:

Flarfignewton

Hasn't posted much yet...
Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
I'd like to at least have a set of headers developed before supercharging the engine to see how much of a restriction the factory manifolds are. And in theory should be considerably cheaper and easier.

chrev

Registered Member
Raleigh, NC
I would like to see how well the 4.6 can breathe and if that can be improved via porting or less restrictive exhaust. I was considering doing a turbo but I am not entirely confident the transmission and the rear diff can handle the extra 150hp that a blower would bring. I think I remember seeing a document from ZF that said the trans in our car is rated at about 420lb-ft.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
I think I remember seeing a document from ZF that said the trans in our car is rated at about 420lb-ft.
It's hard to tell how conservative OEM's are with their ratings. sometimes it's pretty accurate and sometimes they underrate it by quite a bit. Like GM's TH400 trans is rated at 450 lb-ft but people push them way past that in stock form regularly without issues. It might be worth digging around the BMW forums and see how the ZF in theirs (same as the 6HP26 in ours) handles additional power as those guys have a much larger aftermarket

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.