Test pipes aka secondary cat delete pipes

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The primary cats are part of the exhaust manifold, they cant be deleted without welding a pipe in its place to the exhaust manifold which isnt a problem, just more difficult, i havent looked at them real close but you might be able to gut them with them still on the car if you're careful. You would also need a tune to delete the rear o2 sensors otherwise you'll get a fault.

kaigoss69

Hasn't posted much yet...
JAX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Sorry for the stupid question...but how do you "gut" the secondary cats and is it virtually the same thing as fitting test-pipes (which as far as I can tell are not available right now?). This is for 2nd Gen 5.0. Second question, how does it change the sound and has anyone dyno'd any improvements?

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
1) remove catalytic converter
2) using a hammer and chisel or big flat-bladed screwdriver hit the catalyst inside the converter. It should break pretty easily.
3) be sure to remove all the broken piece
4) reinstall catalytic converter

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
You will get a little more sound (not a whole lot). I'd be amazed if the increase in power/torque is measured to be any more than variations from pull to pull on a dyno. Likely less than 5 ft. lbs. torque/HP. This is an educated guess, not based on testing this car.

socal50rspec

California
You will get a little more sound (not a whole lot). I'd be amazed if the increase in power/torque is measured to be any more than variations from pull to pull on a dyno. Likely less than 5 ft. lbs. torque/HP. This is an educated guess, not based on testing this car.
I've had my intake and magnaflow catback for over a year, someone posted dyno results on youtube showing a 10-15 hp increase, I can say that after installing the test pipes a couple weeks ago, I do notice even more improvement in midrange torque and a definite better throttle response and my mpg is even better with the less restriction.

kaigoss69

JAX
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure I want to gut the cats on my 2nd Gen 5.0, I'd rather install test pipes. I think I'm SOOL as I can't find them anywhere, and it seems they would have to be custom-made by an exhaust shop. Ist that correct or did I miss anything???

socal50rspec

California
I haven't been under a second-generation Genesis to see if the exhaust is different. The test pipes I have aren't even advertised for the 5.0 yet, they are a perfect fit. Might want to just take your car to an exhaust shop and have them made, probably won't cost much more than buying a set.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.