• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Things you love about the G70

Draco-REX

Parts Monkey
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm going to be writing a full review later, but here are a few things I'm liking about my G70.

The transmission. By far the best Slushbox (torque converter) auto I've ever driven. Reviewers say the ZF is better, but honestly it can only be slightly better because there is very little to improve here. It responds like a dual-clutch and doesn't have any of the infuriating idiocy that usual torque converter autos have. From a stop it just goes. Most autos have me seething in fury as they just sit there holding a commitee meeting with the engine trying to figure out what gear and rpm to leave at. This transmission has none of that. Hyundai really has a good thing here. Honestly, if this drove anything like every other torque converter auto I've *ever* driven, I wouldn't own this car.

The design of the shift mechanism is a tiny piece of genius that I think goes overlooked. It has 3 shift modes (R, N, D), 4 positions, and only two of those positions have detents. On paper I'd be wondering how in the world this could possibly work, but in practice it is incredibly intuitive. Whoever designed it needs a UX award. Great design.

Something not transmission related: The HUD. I've wanted one of these in a car for a very long time. The technology has been around forever, so I'm surprised it's taken this long for it to start showing up on more mainstream cars. I was very disappointed when my 2014 Audi S5 and 2013 CTS-V didn't have HUDs. The G70 HUD is very useful and I am so glad the car has it.

A lot of the tech is great. The Lane Keeping Assist is surprisingly good, and I love there's a physical button to turn it off/on on the fly. The surround cameras are great and I'm going to miss them in any car I drive(park) without them. And who doesn't love the seat bolsters gripping you in Sport mode?

I like the extra deep thumb cutouts in the steering wheel. They really make the wheel feel great in my hands.

Best addition in modern cars is an oil temp gauge. I was so glad that my BRZ has one now and that the G70 has one as well. It's the best gauge to have to take care of your engine properly.

The steering is very good. I don't understand the negative reviews. We are never going to get the feel of a manual rack again, reviewers have to just accept this. There is a lot working against the steering in this car. The rack is electric, the car is AWD, and it has big heavy 19" wheels. But it still communicates well and Genesis chose a steering ratio that sits perfectly between sportscar quickness and relaxed luxury.

There are a lot of little things I like. But I think one thing that really stands out is how cohesive the car feels. There's so much tech and so many features, but they don't stand out or compete for your attention. It just works, and that's a sign of good design. I've only been able to put a couple hundred miles on it so far, but I really like it and I'm looking forward to getting more and more comfortable with it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I like that the car "wakes up" and unfolds the mirrors when I approach it, and then goes back to "sleep" if I don't open it and walk away.

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
* I really like the smooth, strong power delivery. Very impressive and much faster than my F30 3 series was. I love how this hauls ass!
* I like that there isn't a delay in the response of the gas pedal. Again, my 3 series had a very annoying delay, especially after braking for a turn, which killed the fun accelerating out of a turn.
* Love the tranny, especially in sport mode. It responds the way I want and shifts fast.
* Love all the features and tech you get for your money.
* Very happy with so the safety features, and that it gets excellent crash safety ratings.
* I like the looks, especially that rear quarter, and I like that it's so unique. I've only seen one other G70 on the road in this area in six months. I was tired of showing up at an intersection in my white 3 series sedan, only to see two or three others at the same intersection just like it!
* Good for Genesis in coming out with a sedan in an age when we're surrounded by SUVs, not to mention offering a stick option.
* I'm very pleased with the steering and handling, especially the quick turn-in. Again, much nicer than the F30 BMW (don't know how it compares to the new G20, but so far the reviews I've read have been luke warm.)
* I like the thoughtful touches like the buttons on the side of the passenger seat so the driver or back seat passenger can easily adjust it. Great idea!
* Although I don't usually play the music loud at all, for safety reasons mostly, when I do I'm really impressed with the sound system.
* I think the headlights are great.
* Although I know a lot of people wish the exhaust was louder, I think it sounds good, and has a nice snarl when you give it the beans. It's not annoyingly loud.
I'm sure I've missed a bunch of stuff, but this is getting long. 🙄

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I forgot an important one.
My AWD G70 did very well in the snow last February, on just the all season tires. I was really impressed! It actually handled better than my 335xi which had Michelin Xice snows of the same width. That car used to plow/understeer in low speed turns on our snowy country roads. It used to really annoy me. I was shocked when the G70 was better and didn't even have snows, which I had thought might be a problem. They must have done a better job with the allocation of torque.

Howie Feltersnatch

Calgary
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I forgot an important one.
My AWD G70 did very well in the snow last February, on just the all season tires. I was really impressed! It actually handled better than my 335xi which had Michelin Xice snows of the same width. That car used to plow/understeer in low speed turns on our snowy country roads. It used to really annoy me. I was shocked when the G70 was better and didn't even have snows, which I had thought might be a problem. They must have done a better job with the allocation of torque.
I like to hear that. just got mine recently and am planning to stick with the all seasons over winter. that's great

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ But they are basically all minor things. Genesis definitely hit all the big and major points on this car. There are just some small minor things keeping it from being close to perfect. I think most of the complaints people have could be solved with maybe a $500 increase in the price of the car.

I have posted in the other thread, but this thread I have not because the list is just too big. (y)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums