Welcome to the JB4 Discussion and Support Forum

jimbell

Genesis G70
I spoke with my Genesis dealer and asked him a few questions about upgrades vs warranties and such. He mentioned that if one were to install a chip tuner, and while it was in use something was to have an issue or fail regarding the engine, they would be able to tell when the error code was generated that there was an "outside agent", or something of the sort, and that they would be able to tell a chip was in use during the failure, even if the tuner is removed before bring the car in for repair. And therefore void the warranty for repair. Possible or scare tactic?

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis G70
I spoke with my Genesis dealer and asked him a few questions about upgrades vs warranties and such. He mentioned that if one were to install a chip tuner, and while it was in use something was to have an issue or fail regarding the engine, they would be able to tell when the error code was generated that there was an "outside agent", or something of the sort, and that they would be able to tell a chip was in use during the failure, even if the tuner is removed before bring the car in for repair. And therefore void the warranty for repair. Possible or scare tactic?
If you tune your car, and have an engine(or any powertrain) failure, why would you expect warranty? I'm not trolling...I'm someone who mods their vehicle as well, I'm honestly asking.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
Scare. JB4 can clear codes...and it exists inline after the ECU.

Even if they tried...they would still have to prove it. Pretty hard to do if it’s physically not there.

jimbell

Genesis G70
If you tune your car, and have an engine(or any powertrain) failure, why would you expect warranty? I'm not trolling...I'm someone who mods their vehicle as well, I'm honestly asking.
I'm just gathering information as I have never used a turner before and want to know all possibilities. It was also recommended to do by others I've chatted with on this forum.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
Its a scare tactic but just the fact that they are trying this should be a red flag for you. Just because they cant prove something doesnt mean they cant make your life hard, and seems like they are saying they will be trying to fight you tooth and nail if they find anything. Just saying that youll need to be extra careful with them

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
A mild reputable tune with the appropriate spark plug gap changes are not something that should cause any issues that should wholesale void any part of your warranty. Drivetrains are always developed with extra headroom to meet fuel and efficiency goals. A manufacturer that lists 87 octane as ok can easily get a lot more power if they had listed 91 as a minimum. Thats all a tune is doing really. If youre running high maps at greater than 93 octane, or did something wrong with your install and something related to the tuner goes wrong then yea, you shouldnt expect a warranty claim to work.

jimbell

Genesis G70
Anyone have a link for the JB4 tuner user manuals for the 3.3t? I can find installation manual but looking for the user manuals to get info on various mappings, etc.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis G80 Sport

3.3 Rulz

Registered Member
Las Vegas, NV
No Genesis Yet!
I am looking for installation instructions for the JB4 on a 2020 Genesis 3.3T, any suggestions?
Go to their website and download the Install Guide.

jimbell

Genesis G70
I swear by SoulSpeed Performance. They work on a lot of high-performance cars as well as race prep over at COTA. I believe one of their owners races his 911 Turbo over there.
Just wanted to give you a "Thanks" for the recommendation on SoulSpeed! Great guys to work with, super responsive and helpful even with a customer not at all familiar with what they do. Had the Ark exhaust system and the JB4 tuner installed and am really pleased. Only problem is after hanging out at the shop a bit this could form an addiction! Thanks again

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis G70
Just wanted to give you a "Thanks" for the recommendation on SoulSpeed! Great guys to work with, super responsive and helpful even with a customer not at all familiar with what they do. Had the Ark exhaust system and the JB4 tuner installed and am really pleased. Only problem is after hanging out at the shop a bit this could form an addiction! Thanks again
Cheers mate, I'm glad they treated you right!

jimbell

Genesis G70
One question for you if I may. Being that I'm new to all this, I have questions - may have been addressed in previous threads but I couldn't locate one that addresses this issue. The JB4 tuner.
On this link - Kia & Hyundai JB4 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - I was able to locate the breakdown on the different mappings. I use nothing but 93 octane fuel which makes running at map 2 no problem, but in map 3 it says "high quality fuel - including unleaded race fuel..." In your opinion would 93 octane not be considered high quality fuel? Stay with map 2 and don't push it? I'd like you take please.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
One question for you if I may. Being that I'm new to all this, I have questions - may have been addressed in previous threads but I couldn't locate one that addresses this issue. The JB4 tuner.
On this link - Kia & Hyundai JB4 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - I was able to locate the breakdown on the different mappings. I use nothing but 93 octane fuel which makes running at map 2 no problem, but in map 3 it says "high quality fuel - including unleaded race fuel..." In your opinion would 93 octane not be considered high quality fuel? Stay with map 2 and don't push it? I'd like you take please.
93 didn’t run well for me in Map 3. So I used Boostane Pro with 93 to get to 99 octane. Map 3 loves it and becomes a beast. You could mix with E85 instead...but that’s nothing I know about.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis G70
I would stick with Map 2 with 93 octane unless I was running Boostane as Beefer says. Of course, if you were to try it and it's not high enough octane, your engine is going to pull timing and that's going to show up in the graphs. You can typically post the graph(s) on one of the links you list above and Terry will usually tell you if that's happening. But I'm a "better to be safe than sorry" kind of person, so if I were planning on running Map 3, I would just go ahead and order the Boostane off Amazon ($20 for one can, $75 or so for a pack of four).

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis G80 Sport
You can run Map 3 on ~96-97 octane or Map 4. I usually mix ~30% of E85 + 93 pump gas = ~97 octane, Map 4 loves it!

twister

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Failed at step 1 - went to fit new plugs in yesterday and what a fail. I thought I'd try the difficult one first - the centre plug on passenger side. Did not have enough room to expose the plug cylinder so I could get a socket on it. Then took me 60 very frustrating minutes just to get the bolt back aligned so I could secure the plug lead head back to the block. Holy crap there isn't any room there especially with my fat fingers.

Guess I'll be paying someone to do that for me. Hopefully the JB4 install will be a lot easier once I've done enough miles.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums