What things don't you like in the G70?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
That would be nice to have a choice.
It may be an effort to reduce battery drain when the car is off, depending on how the system is architected. With the increasing amount of technology in cars, this is an issue.

Julius88

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I not totally sure, but I think in the Audi, if the car is off, the homelink button will only work if you have the keyfob with you.

Agree that it would be nice if there was a setting allowing the option to be selected/de-selected.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis G70
^ They should at least have a delay on the homelink like they do with the windows/sunroof when you turn your vehicle off.

So another minor annoyance on the G70 that I was just reminded of when I drove a G80 last week while my car was in for service:

When using the NAV, I don't like that the only way you see secondary roads or residential roads is when you have the zoom at 200M or less. As soon as you go to 400M all of the detail is gone. If you leave it on auto, driving on a freeway, it often looks like there are only two overpasses in the next 20km even though there may be one every few km, they are just minor roads and so don't show up. I really don't see the reason for this unless you really zoom out. At 400M at least they should still have the detail, and maybe even at 800M.

My wife's Grand Cherokee has the detail at 250M, 350M, 500M, 750M, and 1KM. At 750M it really fades the minor roads so they are less noticeable and it is easier to focus on the major roads, but it is still there. Useful driving on the highway. The reason I mention this now is that I drove the G80 last week and it is funny because the NAV screen is about an inch bigger than on the G70 so at 200M to get the detail, things looked so big to the point I could see it if I was legally blind, and then if I went to 400M it lost almost all the roads and most of the NAV screen was blank. lol

This also wasn't an issue on my previous 5 series. On top of a way clearer (and larger) screen there was so much detail. And 3D buildings is another issue. The Genesis NAV has maybe 20 buildings in my city, where my 5 series (which was old...) had 10's of thousands. Like every major building and 1000's of houses even. I thought it was funny because zoomed in downtown, you could see that the NAV showed the 3D house and detached garage in the alley. If BMW could do that on their NAV's 7 years ago, I have no idea why Genesis can't do it today.

I know these are minor issues, but then so are most of the things in this thread. The major parts of this car are great, there are just some minor (and easy to fix items) that keep the car from being perfect. :)

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I too have been very disappointed in the lack of detail in the Nav screen. To get enough detail, you have to zoom in so far that it becomes somewhat useless in many situations.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis G70
I too have been very disappointed in the lack of detail in the Nav screen. To get enough detail, you have to zoom in so far that it becomes somewhat useless in many situations.
The lack of detail on the nav is something that hasn't really bothered me much, until yesterday. Definitely a little weird.

Another thing I noticed is that in the media screen, songs with "long" names will not fully display, but on the home screen (the one with the map, media info, and a few icons) it will show the whole song name. Seems pretty counter intuitive that the page that is supposed to display song/media info shows me less information than the home screen. I'd even be okay if the words scrolled so I could see it, but its just static

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis G70
...media screen, songs with "long" names will not fully display, but on the home screen (the one with the map, media info, and a few icons) it will show the whole song name. ...
It scrolls on the media screen. BUUUUUUTTTT, because everyone is a lawyer it only scrolls when you are in Park. Try it out, it's super silly. I wonder if we can defeat the parking brake sensor.....

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis G70
It scrolls on the media screen. BUUUUUUTTTT, because everyone is a lawyer it only scrolls when you are in Park. Try it out, it's super silly. I wonder if we can defeat the parking brake sensor.....
Wow, that is absolutely stupid! If it's a driving distraction (or whatever argument they'll give for not scrolling), they should just make use of the extra on-screen space and make it static. Maybe Mapnsoft will do it for an update eventually

Thanks for the info!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis G70
^ They should at least have a delay on the homelink like they do with the windows/sunroof when you turn your vehicle off.

So another minor annoyance on the G70 that I was just reminded of when I drove a G80 last week while my car was in for service:

When using the NAV, I don't like that the only way you see secondary roads or residential roads is when you have the zoom at 200M or less. As soon as you go to 400M all of the detail is gone. If you leave it on auto, driving on a freeway, it often looks like there are only two overpasses in the next 20km even though there may be one every few km, they are just minor roads and so don't show up. I really don't see the reason for this unless you really zoom out. At 400M at least they should still have the detail, and maybe even at 800M.

My wife's Grand Cherokee has the detail at 250M, 350M, 500M, 750M, and 1KM. At 750M it really fades the minor roads so they are less noticeable and it is easier to focus on the major roads, but it is still there. Useful driving on the highway. The reason I mention this now is that I drove the G80 last week and it is funny because the NAV screen is about an inch bigger than on the G70 so at 200M to get the detail, things looked so big to the point I could see it if I was legally blind, and then if I went to 400M it lost almost all the roads and most of the NAV screen was blank. lol

This also wasn't an issue on my previous 5 series. On top of a way clearer (and larger) screen there was so much detail. And 3D buildings is another issue. The Genesis NAV has maybe 20 buildings in my city, where my 5 series (which was old...) had 10's of thousands. Like every major building and 1000's of houses even. I thought it was funny because zoomed in downtown, you could see that the NAV showed the 3D house and detached garage in the alley. If BMW could do that on their NAV's 7 years ago, I have no idea why Genesis can't do it today.

I know these are minor issues, but then so are most of the things in this thread. The major parts of this car are great, there are just some minor (and easy to fix items) that keep the car from being perfect. :)
I sort of get what you guys are saying. But TBH I'm usually looking out my windshield when I'm driving, not at a map. As long as it shows your destination exit road, what does it matter? Remember though, I'm coming from a vehicle that had no nav screen, so this is all new to me. ;)

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
If you're just following navigation directions, I agree, no problem. But in cases where I want to see a map of my surroundings and I also need to see some detail, I find it almost useless. This is common if you're more in an "exploring" mode, rather than just trying to get from A to B. I usually just use my phone for that.

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis G70
If you're just following navigation directions, I agree, no problem. But in cases where I want to see a map of my surroundings and I also need to see some detail, I find it almost useless. This is common if you're more in an "exploring" mode, rather than just trying to get from A to B. I usually just use my phone for that.
I haven't tried it yet, but I think I read that when you hook up your phone via Android Auto or Apple Car play your map will overwrite the display. If so that would / should solve the problem if I'm correct.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
I drove the G70, it felt smallish to me. I'm 6' tall and it was just a bit tight. My right knee rested against the console. I like to sit high for visibility, my head scraped the headliner.

My salesman guy was tall as well, his knees were 2" from the glovebox, and my wife in the back also had about 2" in front of her knees.

I then drove the G80 and bought it. Much more room, and about the same price as the G70 if you go with the well appointed base model, which I did.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
I haven't tried it yet, but I think I read that when you hook up your phone via Android Auto or Apple Car play your map will overwrite the display. If so that would / should solve the problem if I'm correct.
Yes, that's correct. When Android Auto is running, it replaces the built in navigation. Its simply putting Google Maps onto the screen. Make sure you have a good data plan, it'll use it up...

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis G70
Yes, that's correct. When Android Auto is running, it replaces the built in navigation. Its simply putting Google Maps onto the screen. Make sure you have a good data plan, it'll use it up...
Good point on the data plan. I do have a good one luckily (through work, it's unlimited and is paid for ;) ). Congrats on the G80! Yes much more room in there.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
See that straight up spike at the end of my data usage? That was the first day I got the car, had Android Auto on for a couple hours. 😁

Screenshot_20191118-231828_Settings.jpg

AA is great technology. It puts your cell phone into the car's screen, including texts, voicemails, contacts, and best of all, Google Maps. You can say "navigate to DFW Airport" and away it goes, with traffic and best routes included.

However, I am finding that the built-in navigation is far superior to any I've seen in a car so far. We used to have a Volvo and it was horrible, and Infiniti is very hard to use. The built-in navigation in the G80 is great, I just say "go home", or "closest Starbucks" or something like that and it shows me my choices. I even read off and address including house number, street name, city and state and it took it all and started navigating.

It also includes HD traffic to route around jams.

Julius88

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I then drove the G80 and bought it. Much more room, and about the same price as the G70 if you go with the well appointed base model, which I did.
Congrats on the G80...excellent car! When I first started learning about Genesis, the G80 Sport was actually the one I was initially interested in. I think it looks great, and I absolutely love the quad exhaust on the Sport trim. Wish the G70 had the same.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis G70

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis G70
Congrats on the G80...excellent car! When I first started learning about Genesis, the G80 Sport was actually the one I was initially interested in. I think it looks great, and I absolutely love the quad exhaust on the Sport trim. Wish the G70 had the same.
Same here - but the G80 (for this point and time in my life) was/is too big for me. I eventually gravitated to the G70. I wish the G70 was a bit bigger, especially for getting in/out of (feels like I'm falling into it and climbing out of it) but that's a big part of owning SUV's for the past 20 years. Even my Outback now feels 'big' lol.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis G70
Go into Google maps and choose Offline maps. It'll ask you for a radius to download. Download your entire city. This will save data and will update itself over WiFi to keep current.

Also, by doing this it's faster...or so Google says.
And Google Maps will work even though you have no cell coverage. The only thing you'll need is the phone GPS working

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums