• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What things don't you like in the G70?

Julius88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Same here - but the G80 (for this point and time in my life) was/is too big for me. I eventually gravitated to the G70. I wish the G70 was a bit bigger, especially for getting in/out of (feels like I'm falling into it and climbing out of it) but that's a big part of owning SUV's for the past 20 years. Even my Outback now feels 'big' lol.
Ditto for me...I like the look of the G80 and do love the quad exhaust, but it was too big for me. It's just my wife and I, and we don't often have backseat passengers, so we don't need the extra room. Plus the G80 drove like a big car, even the Sport variant felt really 'floaty' when driving. To me the G80 Sport is a luxury sedan with a bit of sportiness added to it, whereas my G70 comes from the other direction and feels like a car for driving enthusiasts with nice luxury touches added in. Ironically, I also feel like the G70 is more practical because there are times when I may go to the store/Lowe's and want to pick up larger items but not have to borrow my wife's SUV. I can fold down the rear seats in the G70 for more storage space, whereas I wouldn't be able to do that in the G80.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
And Google Maps will work even though you have no cell coverage. The only thing you'll need is the phone GPS working
GREAT idea! I'll give it a try.

Another note, when using Android Auto, the Bluetooth services on the phone are disabled. I have had a chance to test to see what all doesn't work when AA is running, but it does affect other feature uses.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
GREAT idea! I'll give it a try.

Another note, when using Android Auto, the Bluetooth services on the phone are disabled. I have had a chance to test to see what all doesn't work when AA is running, but it does affect other feature uses.
This is not true. AA MUST use bluetooth. It's the only way that phone calls can be handled by AA. Audio goes over the cable but phone calls are ALWAYS over BT.

Julius88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Another thing I've noticed is that whenever I start the car, the fan speed seems to always be on high. I'm not sure if it's actually on full blast, but it's high enough that the sound of the air coming out of the vents is pretty loud. Is this just a default setting, or is the car reading the outside temp? It's fairly cold where I am (mid-40s to low 50s), so is the car anticipating that I will want the heat on and the fan speed on high? If it's a setting, I wonder if I can untick this option somewhere.

Julius88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ take it off Auto
Oh geez, that should should have been obvious. I'll do that when I get back in the car. Sorry about that, I've only had the car a few days and this car has so much tech and features that I feel like I've barely scratched the surface in terms of learning about what all the various buttons and options do.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh geez, that should should have been obvious. I'll do that when I get back in the car. Sorry about that, I've only had the car a few days and this car has so much tech and features that I feel like I've barely scratched the surface in terms of learning about what all the various buttons and options do.
take a weekend and read your manual, it will be worth it

Julius88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
take a weekend and read your manual, it will be worth it
Yeah, I will do that this weekend. I played around with some of the settings when I first got the car but ran out of steam because I just wanted to drive it. I'll go thru the buttons on the steering wheel and dash and try to get familiar with each one's function.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I guess Genesis takes a different approach to the fan speed, my Infiniti G37 starts out with a very low fan speed (when on auto) and slowly ramps up over a 15-second to 2 minute period depending on whether it's hot or cold outside, and if heat or AC is needed. AC ramps up quickly while heat takes longer, for engine to heat.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I guess Genesis takes a different approach to the fan speed, my Infiniti G37 starts out with a very low fan speed (when on auto) and slowly ramps up over a 15-second to 2 minute period depending on whether it's hot or cold outside, and if heat or AC is needed. AC ramps up quickly while heat takes longer, for engine to heat.
I really liked the soft start fan speed of my G37s. Don’t own a G70 just yet and while test driving did not really play around to see if Genesis has a similar soft fan speed start up vs just blasting at full speed or not? I’m used to turning everything off before I exit the car so not a huge deal to me whichever method Genesis uses.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Since I don't have a need to use the G70's nav very much, I tried it just for fun on the way home from the store today. It was about a twelve mile trip on typical NH secondary roads.
There are many ways to get back to my house, and it put me on the simplest (not necessarily the shortest) route that I have used many times. Ok, great.
Then I decided to see how it would respond if I chose to take a different route. At first it tried to get me back on the original path, as expected, but then it accepted my new direction and charted a new route, based on where I was and the direction I was going. The new route that the nav picked would have worked, but was definitely not the best route, given where I was at the time. Therefore I soon made another turn "off script", to take what I knew was the shortest, most direct route. Again the nav adjusted and re-routed me, but again it chose another new, less direct route to get home from that point.
All of these secondary roads were on the map and similar in size and type, and there was no traffic or construction going on with any of them. So I'm puzzled and a bit disappointed that the nav, in multiple instances, chose a longer, less direct route.
I'm going to try replicating this test using Google maps to see how it does in comparison.

I realize this posting doesn't fit with the previous posts about fan speed, so sorry about that, but felt it might belong in the general topic of this thread. I may also post it in the Nav thread, although the comments I saw there seemed to be more about how to use it.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nope. If the car is cold AUTO should not have the fan on high. Only when the water temperature is high enough should the fan kick in. Of if warm enough for the AC to be needed.
If you have AUTO defrost, its a setting, on it will flip to the dash vents and run "high". Or, if you remote start and have the DEFROST setting on it'll do the same.

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hard to find something I don't like on this car TBH, but there is one thing I need to get used to. The car has two trip meters - which is perfect. I had two on my Outback as well, A and B. A I reset everytime I filled up with gas. B I reset whenever I started a 'work' trip. The Genesis has two as well, not labeled A & B, but I'll call them that. A seems to work just fine, like my Outback (haven't gone through a tank of gas yet), but "B" resets every morning, on it's own. Is this on a 24 hour clock or something. I know, I know, RTFM, and I will. I just find it strange it automatically resets to zero. Not a big deal if this is what it does, I can adapt. But if there's a way to have this feature only reset manually, well I'll find it. So far that's it. This car is a BEAST in the winter for sure. Much better than my Outback - can't wait for the Engine to break in.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Resets after 4 hours idle. Good feature if you look at it when you reach your destination and start a new trip and forget to reset. Bad feature if you stop 4 hours and forget to look. There have been times I'd like a third. One for the day's miles, another for the entire trip if multiple days, one for tank fill up.
Thanks for that Ed - good to know! I"ll make sure to note my trip km's down when I'm at a site all day (or more than 4 hours anyway). Bit of a pain but at least I know what I'm dealing with.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
... one for tank fill up.
The Instantaneous gauge shows the tank MPG if you configure it that way. On the G70, at least, you can set the MPG to reset at each drive or each fill up.

But yeah, I want a "normal" A/B trip meter also. Helps, sometimes.

My old Subaru Legacy had an A/B trip and a "drive" and an instantaneous.

Eric OTTO

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Since I don't have a need to use the G70's nav very much, I tried it just for fun on the way home from the store today. It was about a twelve mile trip on typical NH secondary roads.
There are many ways to get back to my house, and it put me on the simplest (not necessarily the shortest) route that I have used many times. Ok, great.
Then I decided to see how it would respond if I chose to take a different route. At first it tried to get me back on the original path, as expected, but then it accepted my new direction and charted a new route, based on where I was and the direction I was going. The new route that the nav picked would have worked, but was definitely not the best route, given where I was at the time. Therefore I soon made another turn "off script", to take what I knew was the shortest, most direct route. Again the nav adjusted and re-routed me, but again it chose another new, less direct route to get home from that point.
All of these secondary roads were on the map and similar in size and type, and there was no traffic or construction going on with any of them. So I'm puzzled and a bit disappointed that the nav, in multiple instances, chose a longer, less direct route.
I'm going to try replicating this test using Google maps to see how it does in comparison.

I realize this posting doesn't fit with the previous posts about fan speed, so sorry about that, but felt it might belong in the general topic of this thread. I may also post it in the Nav thread, although the comments I saw there seemed to be more about how to use it.
Ran into a similar issue over the last week in our G70. We were driving from near Toronto to the Buffalo airport. Nav said it would take 3.5 hours. I have driven this route many times and it's about 1.5 hours normally. As we progressed on our trip I noticed that the Nav wanted us to take secondary roads or streets and that was why it was going to take 3.5 hours. There are major highways that will take us door-to-door, but the Nav tried to avoid these highways. I checked our route options and highways and toll roads were not selected as options to avoid.

I'm at a loss on how to change the system to accept highways or the best route.

Any ideas anyone?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ran into a similar issue over the last week in our G70. We were driving from near Toronto to the Buffalo airport. Nav said it would take 3.5 hours. I have driven this route many times and it's about 1.5 hours normally. As we progressed on our trip I noticed that the Nav wanted us to take secondary roads or streets and that was why it was going to take 3.5 hours. There are major highways that will take us door-to-door, but the Nav tried to avoid these highways. I checked our route options and highways and toll roads were not selected as options to avoid.

I'm at a loss on how to change the system to accept highways or the best route.

Any ideas anyone?
I can't remember if there's a default setting or not, but maybe its a "shortest distance" vs "shortest time" problem. Aka taking the "illogical route" to save 0.1 miles or something like that

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums