• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Will Genesis ever get it’s own brick and motor?

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Also depends on the individual dealership.

There are some (new) Hyundai dealerships which are very nice (almost comparable to a lux brand) and even before the split off of the Genesis brand, there were a few Hyundai dealerships that went thru the trouble/expense of building out a separate./upscale customer lounge for Genesis/Equus owners.

Even w/ the split off, there will be Genesis dealerships that will spend more towards their facilities and have a higher level of service than others (just like for the other lux brands which can vary depending on dealership).

GaryPSU

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does anyone know if Genesis is ever going to build its own dealerships? I took my recently purchased Genesis 3.8 AWD sedan to the local Hyundai Dealership in the Bay Area for service and felt like I dressed up in a tuxedo to go eat at McDonalds!! I had to wipe down my Genesis afterwards because it was covered in dust and had fingerprints all over the driver’s door and hood. I waited for my car in a 70’s built building with wood paneled walls, cheap tiled floors, and worn leather couches. The bathrooms looked like they belonged in a 60’s filling station! Nasty!

Hyundai needs to build its own shops to support and service their Genesis luxury line to compete with her competitors like BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, and Jaguar. I was at a nearby Jaguar dealership recently and that place was beautiful and spacious with all the amenities a waiting customer could ever want. Free expresso and snacks while one could watch their luxury car being serviced from a swanky lounge through a long bay window. And what a clean and organized maintenance bay. Simply first class!

Hyundai USA needs to step up and support its brand with new modern shops befitting it’s luxury cars!! How does Hyundai expect to compete with the European luxury brand cars if they force its Genesis owners to endure a sub par luxury service at their local (and very dated) Hyundai dealerships?

Any thoughts?
Genesis of Cherry Hill, NJ has a very nice showroom (combined with Hyundai), with a separate waiting room with a key code for Genesis customers (a bit tacky if you ask me). They also have purchased a closed Oldsmobile building and lot about a half mile away. The Genesis sign is already up, but the move won’t happen for a while. I’m sure that the move will occur before the complimentary valet service expires, so I should never have to visit the Hyundai dealership.

EXCADDY

Registered Member
Westfield Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I guess it must not be everywhere but for my 2019 G80 they come to my house, drop off a loaner and take my car to the dealer for service. When it's done, they bring it back. The Hyundai and Genesis showrooms are on opposite ends of the same building with service in the middle. I believe they'll have a separate building sometime in the future but I won't be going there if I don't have to.

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
Does anyone know if Genesis is ever going to build its own dealerships? I took my recently purchased Genesis 3.8 AWD sedan to the local Hyundai Dealership in the Bay Area for service and felt like I dressed up in a tuxedo to go eat at McDonalds!! I had to wipe down my Genesis afterwards because it was covered in dust and had fingerprints all over the driver’s door and hood. I waited for my car in a 70’s built building with wood paneled walls, cheap tiled floors, and worn leather couches. The bathrooms looked like they belonged in a 60’s filling station! Nasty!

Hyundai needs to build its own shops to support and service their Genesis luxury line to compete with her competitors like BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, and Jaguar. I was at a nearby Jaguar dealership recently and that place was beautiful and spacious with all the amenities a waiting customer could ever want. Free expresso and snacks while one could watch their luxury car being serviced from a swanky lounge through a long bay window. And what a clean and organized maintenance bay. Simply first class!

Hyundai USA needs to step up and support its brand with new modern shops befitting it’s luxury cars!! How does Hyundai expect to compete with the European luxury brand cars if they force its Genesis owners to endure a sub par luxury service at their local (and very dated) Hyundai dealerships?

Any thoughts?
Your 2015 Hyundai ‘Genesis’ 3.8 is considered a Hyundai, not a Genesis and normally should be serviced at the local Hyundai dealership. No matter who services the car, I’d expect a level of professionalism and thus not get my car returned, covered in dust & fingerprints. Btw: in my purchasing of a used Hyundai, I would not have the expectation of ‘free espressos and snacks’.

Last edited:

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Last edited:

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just hope Genesis doesn't do what Lexus and Infiniti does with their cars and SUVs: basically make stylish different trim level then slap on a different badge and mark up the price.

So far they haven't, but then they only have 3 cars out that were moved from Hyundai.

turnne

Registered Member
I just hope Genesis doesn't do what Lexus and Infiniti does with their cars and SUVs: basically make stylish different trim level then slap on a different badge and mark up the price.

So far they haven't, but then they only have 3 cars out that were moved from Hyundai.
You can bet they will.....I will bet money the SUV shares bones with the Hyundai/Kia version
They also need a sedan that sells in the same numbers as the Lexus ES( Toyota Avalon clone)….so I can see a Sonata based Genesis in the future

Separate platforms are just too expensive to build unless they can get a lot of bang from several different models out of it

Warren

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can bet they will.....I will bet money the SUV shares bones with the Hyundai/Kia version
They also need a sedan that sells in the same numbers as the Lexus ES( Toyota Avalon clone)….so I can see a Sonata based Genesis in the future

Separate platforms are just too expensive to build unless they can get a lot of bang from several different models out of it

Warren
The GV80 is on a separate platform than the Palisade/Telluride. Genesis is adamant that its vehicles are based on RWD platforms.

turnne

Registered Member
The GV80 is on a separate platform than the Palisade/Telluride. Genesis is adamant that its vehicles are based on RWD platforms.
ok...I will wait to see that one and if they can sell it in the United States...if it truly bears no commonality to the Hyundai/Kia brethren

Like I posted about 3 years ago ...I still dont see then having free standing luxury car dealerships in the United States anytime soon unless Hyundai/Kia decides to offer dealers significant financial help

Running a luxury car dealership in the United States is a very expensive proposition...high real estate costs, higher running building/establishment costs...More staff needed for the higher touches that luxury buyers typically require..etc etc

Warren

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

turnne

Registered Member
I don't think we can draw any conclusions for another three or four years until the model lineup is increase and sales trends are being established.
Genesis models have been on the market for almost 3 years now...and nothing has changed
Like I said back then ...I see them selling Genesis at a Hyundai dealership for the foreseeable future ..unless Hyundai bankrolls some dealers
An Independent business man cant build a free standing luxury car dealership on current Genesis sales
They are going to have to have free standing dealerships to establish a footing in the United States

So...its a chicken or egg type of deal

If they have to rebadge SUV's to get sales volume from an already established platform...then that is what they are going to have to do

Think about when Lexus and Infiniti arrived...I can only imagine what Toyota and Nissan spent to start their "brands" in the United States

Even now...both are probably being held up by their crossovers and rebadged vehicles

Warren

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

ephone1

Registered Member
As it is, probably in most of our lifetimes Genesis will not be seen as anything more than a niche brand. They will not be seriously considered a top luxury brand for many, many years. While the vehicles may have all of the same features, quality, etc., it will take a long time for them to be seen as an equal to the German three. They will definitely take sales away from them but actually competing in total sales may never happen.
I agree. Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura have alway been the "new money" car brands. If the next Genesis G80 can seriously compete with the BMW 5 series in the same way the G70 does with 3 series - and then hold that position for a few years, they could rise to the top of the "new money" brands. The new SUV will have to be a winner too. The lack of independent dealers is the other issue that will have to be fixed for this to happen.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
There has been a lot of overly optimistic fixation on Genesis establishing their own fancy dealerships. I say bunkum to that approach. As a matter of fact, I’ve been saying this for several years.

So now, after a few years of disastrous fits and starts, they have FINALLY realized that those Hyundai dealers who want to sell Genesis, and who have separate sales floor space to showcase them, is the best approach. Certainly they SHOULD have learned this lesson from Lincoln when it retreated into selling in joint Ford-Lincoln dealerships.

Along their rough road over the last few years, Genesis has alienated a lot of its fans and first generation Hyundai Genesis and Equus owners, not to mention the ‘15 and ‘16 Genesis crowd. Maybe, just maybe, Genesis has finally found its way, but you have to wonder just where the SUVs are. They’re coming aaaaaany day now.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
There has been a lot of overly optimistic fixation on Genesis establishing their own fancy dealerships. I say bunkum to that approach. As a matter of fact, I’ve been saying this for several years.

So now, after a few years of disastrous fits and starts, they have FINALLY realized that those Hyundai dealers who want to sell Genesis, and who have separate sales floor space to showcase them, is the best approach. Certainly they SHOULD have learned this lesson from Lincoln when it retreated into selling in joint Ford-Lincoln dealerships.

Along their rough road over the last few years, Genesis has alienated a lot of its fans and first generation Hyundai Genesis and Equus owners, not to mention the ‘15 and ‘16 Genesis crowd. Maybe, just maybe, Genesis has finally found its way, but you have to wonder just where the SUVs are. They’re coming aaaaaany day now.
At a couple of the dealerships near me the Genesis brand seems like an after thought. No signage up yet (although one of them has two easel-type Genesis signs near the street) and just a handful of cars. Looking at the current sales volume I can see how dealers might be reluctant to invest too much right now. They do need to take advantage of the positive press and reviews though.

Jalvin Cohnson

Registered Member
Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
I live in Minnesota and our Hyundai dealership is turning into a Hyundai AND Genesis dealership. I have had nothing but great customer service from them, but I have read some horror stories on here from other dealerships. I guess I just got lucky and became a customer of one of the best Hyundai dealerships around.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

turnne

Registered Member

You are mixing apples and oranges, While this is the third year for Genesis models they are only in their first year of being a separate entity with separate franchises so they are just starting out with trying to get separate buildings.

They will not be rebranding any Hyundai models, their focus is to develop their own platforms.

In my opinion, it is not free standing dealerships that will enable them to be successful but rather expanding the model lineup with quality vehicles, If they would simply rebadge Hyundai products they might as well just shut the doors now. Obviously the end goal of having separate buildings is something that will help complete the experience but more importantly at this point is for existing dealers to provide the customer service expected by customers in this market.

As it is, probably in most of our lifetimes Genesis will not be seen as anything more than a niche brand. They will not be seriously considered a top luxury brand for many, many years. While the vehicles may have all of the same features, quality, etc., it will take a long time for them to be seen as an equal to the German three. They will definitely take sales away from them but actually competing in total sales may never happen.

Then again, it is just one man's opinion. ;)
So ..what you are saying is that they didn't start this whole correctly in the first place?

BTW..I think the plan was to have a separate entity from the very beginning of the "genesis" brand. Otherwise they could just have put them right there on the floor next to the Elantras etc as they did in the past
If you recall..Lexus has quite a start with just two vehicles ..one of them being just a rebadged Camry
However the showroom and the dealership experience as well as the location of the dealerships was right there with the big boys of the time

I frankly think they will always have a handicap if they don't play the luxury car showroom and experience game...in the United States anyway

To your point this may mean they are always a niche brand..but one wonders how long a niche make a good business decision when you have shareholders to please

They certainly don't have the sales to suggest than an independent businessman can built a luxury car dealership around

Warren

turnne

Registered Member
Re-read some of the threads here. A LOT has happened in the past year. Yes, some was because it was bungled in the beginning but the entire dealer setup is very new and a big step to seeing the independent dealerships.

Agree that they are not ready to stand alone from a sales and dollars POV, they are not there yet. That won't change until the SUVs are on the floor. It would be a huge mistake to rebadge also. IMO, that would dilute the brand and what they stand for, a well engineered luxury RWD vehicle. Have you noticed that Cadillac no longer offers the Cimmeron? Ask the G70 owners if they would pay $50k for a Sonata with a couple of vents slapped on the side.

I commend Hyundai/Genesis for taking the time to make the right product. Asian mentality has a different focus than most of us, to do it right not just to do it now.
Well...some has happened in the past year
But nothing to increase sales. In fact they have decreased drastically year over year

In regard to Asian mentality…..do you recall the Lexus launch in the United States?
My opinion was that is was very methodical....they focused on what the US buyer wanted and also created a separate brand and a dealership experience that they thought was needed to see luxury cars in the United States

If you recall..in other parts of the world they sold "Lexus" vehicles as Toyota models right along side Corollas..Camrys etc

But they had a completely different strategy for the United States and it worked incredibly well

I agree with what they did and like I said 3 years ago. Genesis will never take off connected to a Hyundai dealership in the United States

Warren

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums