• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Will Genesis ever get it’s own brick and motor?

turnne

Registered Member
There has been a lot of overly optimistic fixation on Genesis establishing their own fancy dealerships. I say bunkum to that approach. As a matter of fact, I’ve been saying this for several years.

So now, after a few years of disastrous fits and starts, they have FINALLY realized that those Hyundai dealers who want to sell Genesis, and who have separate sales floor space to showcase them, is the best approach. Certainly they SHOULD have learned this lesson from Lincoln when it retreated into selling in joint Ford-Lincoln dealerships.

Along their rough road over the last few years, Genesis has alienated a lot of its fans and first generation Hyundai Genesis and Equus owners, not to mention the ‘15 and ‘16 Genesis crowd. Maybe, just maybe, Genesis has finally found its way, but you have to wonder just where the SUVs are. They’re coming aaaaaany day now.
I don't disagree with you

However...then why waste the marketing and promotion dollars to even establish the "genesis" brand
They could have just kept selling the cars as the Hyundai G80 and G90 and passed the savings on to the buyer
That being said...I don't think the majority of luxury cars buyers in the United States are going to step foot in a Hyundai dealership

Even Toyota realized that with Lexus and Toyota was a well regarded name in the United States
But Toyota thought luxury buyers wanted the another experience...and I think they were right

Warren

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I don't disagree with you

However...then why waste the marketing and promotion dollars to even establish the "genesis" brand
They could have just kept selling the cars as the Hyundai G80 and G90 and passed the savings on to the buyer
That being said...I don't think the majority of luxury cars buyers in the United States are going to step foot in a Hyundai dealership

Even Toyota realized that with Lexus and Toyota was a well regarded name in the United States
But Toyota thought luxury buyers wanted the another experience...and I think they were right

Warren
This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but many Hyundai dealers, mine included, have been selling the G80 & G90 since they were introduced. Then they were suddenly prohibited from selling the newest models, much to their displeasure. That certainly didn’t grow the brand.

Guaranteed too that if these same Hyundai/Genesis dealers had any G70 vehicles to sell, they would sell, given the Motor Trend Car of the year award and other accolades.

Many current Genesis owners (most?) bought a Genesis (or an Equus) after seeing it on the sales floor of their Hyundai dealership. They were attracted too by the bargain price of luxury. In return, most had no problem foregoing drinking latte in the waiting room.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

turnne

Registered Member
Wow, I wear shorts and a T-shirt to the dealer and they give me plenty of respect, they even take my money. Never dug a ditch though. I'd probably wear something other than sneakers if I do.
I dont think its any big deal to see someone in shorts and a T shirt at a Hyundai dealership

Upscale car dealerships are different...from my Mercedes owning days its common to see a business suit or "country club" attire there in my experience

Warren

turnne

Registered Member
I got a 2015, was looking at a 2020 G80 and the only difference that I could see is the shift knob, which I don't like as well as mine.
Good for you
You got basically the same thing and saved a LOT of money on the depreciation hit you would have taken.

Warren

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

turnne

Registered Member
When going to my BMW dealer for service I see everything from shorts and sandals to suits with the majority wearing jeans/khakis and a decent shirt. When there for a social function the level of dress rises a bit.
I have never seen anyone dressed up...even during business hours M-F...at the Hyundai dealer I have taken my car to for a few years now

Warren

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

turnne

Registered Member
Sure, many Mercedes owners are professionals and stopping on there way to or from. But every time I went in to my MB dealer wearing shorts and T-shirt they happily took my money. Wearing a tie does not make you a better person or more wealthy.
LOL...who said it made them a better person?!
As for wealth..I am sure any study would tell you that the average Mercedes dealership customer is far more affluent than a Hyundai/Genesis dealership customer

...But I wasn't speaking to wealth or "how good of a person" anyone was...I was just pointing out the differences in the way the clientele are dressed in the Mercedes and Hyundai dealerships
There is a big difference

Warren

ephone1

Registered Member
I'm literally sitting at Genesis dealer getting my first oil change. It's about 40 miles from my house, so I drove down myself instead of having someone drive my car so far. The waiting room is the worst I've ever seen at any dealer. There are only 5 regular chairs, 4 of which are sandwiched together in pairs about as tight as an airplane. I actually find this funny - I knew it wouldn't be as nice as I'm used to, but I never dreamed it would be East German bad.

turnne

Registered Member
I'm literally sitting at Genesis dealer getting my first oil change. It's about 40 miles from my house, so I drove down myself instead of having someone drive my car so far. The waiting room is the worst I've ever seen at any dealer. There are only 5 regular chairs, 4 of which are sandwiched together in pairs about as tight as an airplane. I actually find this funny - I knew it wouldn't be as nice as I'm used to, but I never dreamed it would be East German bad.

Keep in mind that its things like this ..and many others......that keep the price of the car down

I personally don't think the brand will ever really take off without a dedicated luxury dealership and experience ...in the United States anyway

Warren

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would not even wear such stuff to dig a ditch. If you show respect by dressing better, you will receive respect.
Sure, many Mercedes owners are professionals and stopping on there way to or from. But every time I went in to my MB dealer wearing shorts and T-shirt they happily took my money. Wearing a tie does not make you a better person or more wealthy.
The way you dress is key to a lot of things, but NOT buying a car. If they want to earn business they'll show everyone respect. Lamborghini has actually trained their sales teams to do so, regardless of what their perception of the person is.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I didn't even think about it at the time, but last week I had our BMW 5 Series in the dealership for a software update and waited for the car. Thinking back, the people in the waiting room were all casually dressed. The only shirt and ties were worn by the whole sales staff. I had jeans and a sweatshirt on, not worn but in good condition. One young guy came in wearing skin tight clothes as if he'd been bicycling.

This was at a large, busy and very nice dealership. Probably a typical day in the waiting room.

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
I absolutely agree that the touchscreen only interface would be totally useless to me mainly because of my advanced age (73) .
Whereas Using the jog dial on the center console of my 16’ Ultimate is easy and completely stress free.
And as to the dealership experience,I can’t really give a opinion on the service area my Hyundai dealers waiting room is clean , efficient and has the emimetys to ease the wait for my Genesis which is always returned washed and dried even the wheels.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums