• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Alternatives to G70?

FLnak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
In Florida so ventilated seats would be extremely nice to have and a first for me.

It’s something different but did anyone also consider the Tesla Model 3? Despite your opinions of Tesla/Elon the performance model 3 looks really interesting though a good bit more $$. A good bit of my commute is on interstate and stop/go traffic at times so the “autopilot” features are intriguing. Haven’t driven one yet.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In Florida so ventilated seats would be extremely nice to have and a first for me.

It’s something different but did anyone also consider the Tesla Model 3? Despite your opinions of Tesla/Elon the performance model 3 looks really interesting though a good bit more $$. A good bit of my commute is on interstate and stop/go traffic at times so the “autopilot” features are intriguing. Haven’t driven one yet.
I took a peek when it first came out, but realized the price would be too steep for a Model 3 that I wanted (aka the performance one) among other visual gripes. Didn't warrant a test drive for me

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I took a peek when it first came out, but realized the price would be too steep for a Model 3 that I wanted (aka the performance one) among other visual gripes. Didn't warrant a test drive for me
The level of luxury isn’t there for the price for sure. I hate that the doors on the Tesla aren’t solid at all!

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
i'm struggling w/ purchasing an automatic transmission, an electric is sure as hell not on my list. i've been driving subarus for 15 years because i love the clutch and everyone else has given up on it. but im starting to feel old in a wrx.

i hear what you guys are saying about the s4 but i've already decided for myself that the s3 is the better car for me. mostly downtown city miles, light car that's fun at low revs, fun exhaust, small enough to park anywhere. and for the solo early morning summer drive up a front range canyon to the mountains, much more fun imho.

it's a shame they watered down the manual version of the g70 in the usa, but frankly you can get a better equipped wrx if you want a 6 speed manual with leather seats.

it may come down to the responsiveness / fun of the paddle shifters between the g70 and the s3 for me.

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have been looking at those too, not many out there and none of my local audi dealers have one (new or used) on lot to check out. but it would be fun getting the crosseyed look from people when you tell them you drive a 5 cylinder car. whaaaaat?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ I am a fan of the S3. What I do not like are the round HVAC outlets. Something about it I hate. Same with the Merc.

If you are going the S3 route...pick up a CPO RS3 !!!
The RS3 is definitely the way to go if it fits the budget (or you don't mind CPO) based on what was stated. 5 cylinders + 400hp + crackles a burbles - weight = one hell of a good time.

Unfortunately manuals are just becoming a thing of the past given the efficiency and ease provided by automatics. It's less to worry about/safer in a day where people have a 10 second attention span. I used to want my "next car" (which is now to be the G70) to be a manual, but traffic and an experience with a broken clutch (200k mile Nissan Frontier) have beaten the desire out of me.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i'm struggling w/ purchasing an automatic transmission, an electric is sure as hell not on my list. i've been driving subarus for 15 years because i love the clutch and everyone else has given up on it. but im starting to feel old in a wrx.

i hear what you guys are saying about the s4 but i've already decided for myself that the s3 is the better car for me. mostly downtown city miles, light car that's fun at low revs, fun exhaust, small enough to park anywhere. and for the solo early morning summer drive up a front range canyon to the mountains, much more fun imho.

it's a shame they watered down the manual version of the g70 in the usa, but frankly you can get a better equipped wrx if you want a 6 speed manual with leather seats.

it may come down to the responsiveness / fun of the paddle shifters between the g70 and the s3 for me.
I hear you on missing out on the 6spd manual tranny. My wife has a WRX and my last 2 cars were Subarus. While I miss having a stick shift, I don't miss the tuner-bro attention those cars associate with. There are too many of those cars here, it's so damn annoying now.

The paddle shifters are decent, but the biggest thing for me is that the 8spd auto tranny is simply faster than any 6spd manual can ever be, you simply can't shift as fast as this thing.

Either way, I'd be interested to read your comparison between the S3 and the G70.

^ I am a fan of the S3. What I do not like are the round HVAC outlets. Something about it I hate. Same with the Merc.

If you are going the S3 route...pick up a CPO RS3 !!!
Yeah! The RS3 is a mean little bugger. It's fast, very fast, and super nimble. Too euro posh for me, though.

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
i dont care about speedy shifting as much as i care about just being in control all the time

even w/ paddle shifters in "manual" mode most cars will still shift for you if it doesnt like how you're driving lol

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

One of my store's clients did. The client was strictly looking at cost of ownership and decided that after the cost of his electric charger install at home, fuel costs, and maintenance costs, he ended up going with a Tesla Model 3 demo. Not too long after, he called the store and said that it was a mistake and that he should have gone G70 3.3T Sport. :unsure:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i dont care about speedy shifting as much as i care about just being in control all the time

even w/ paddle shifters in "manual" mode most cars will still shift for you if it doesnt like how you're driving lol

Ah yeah, I can understand that. If you completely turn off traction control it will allow you to hit the rev limiter in manual mode, but evidently you can't remove the kickdown when you floor it all the way.

That said, I don't blame you. It's tough to let go and go with an auto when coming from a good manual tranny.

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
One of my store's clients did. The client was strictly looking at cost of ownership and decided that after the cost of his electric charger install at home, fuel costs, and maintenance costs, he ended up going with a Tesla Model 3 demo. Not too long after, he called the store and said that it was a mistake and that he should have gone G70 3.3T Sport. :unsure:
I, too, was weighing the immediate and long term costs between the G70, Model 3, and Model S. My corworker has a '14 Model S, but the amount of time he has to take out of the day for charging is much more than he intended. Also, repairs have been a nightmare in terms of time for completion due to the lack of available parts. ATM his Tesla has been in a shop for almost 3 months now, and the costs he's having to eat in fuel and rental I think is chewing well into his initial savings. This isn't including the several times he's had wheel repairs and running out of juice.

I, obviously, went with the G70 due to my history as an owner and former salesman of Hyundai/Genesis cars (the only model I haven't owned is the Accent/Elantra).

Tdefrees

Registered Member
Utica, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I contemplated a COP 2017 RS3. It was a little rocket and had fabulous looks. But when stacking up the comparable options to the G70, $58k for a CPO RS3 did not win out. Outside of the looks and straight line engine performance, the G70 blows the RS3 out of the water. The RS3 has pretty seats, but hard and non-powered. I love having the best blend of luxury, options, and power. While not the single best in one (except maybe the Lexicon system - amazing!), the solid package won me over. Now, a CPO M2 Competition package was my my 50/50 option. The G70 was still less expensive and was the more sensible choice with 4 doors.

JapethMarvel

Registered Member
Yeah, for some reason the CPO RS3s are almost MSRP....lol
And like tdefrees mentioned, no power seats, more expensive than the G70 for all the same options, same cramped back seat, and insanely high maintenance costs once it's out of warranty. You may as well lease it. It's still an awesome little car though.
Doug DeMuro had a hilarious review of it.

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm curious, has anyone sat in or driven the new 3 series? I haven't seen one yet or watched any reviews on it. What's the word on it so far?

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I
I'm curious, has anyone sat in or driven the new 3 series? I haven't seen one yet or watched any reviews on it. What's the word on it so far?
I would like to be able to sit in a G70 in the first place, I haven't seen it at all yet and I am about to go shopping (I am in Nashville), I plan to give the new 3-series a look but I doubt we will have the M340i soon enough since it is supposed to arrive after the 330i. I had a really bad experience with BMW of Nashville so I doubt I will even consider it just because of the Dealer...

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I saw / sat in the new 330i w. the M Sport package at the Denver Auto Show a while back, obviously couldnt drive it. It's a sweet car especially if the steering feel has improved, but you'd have to get the newest m340i xsport to really compare to the G70 and by the time you option it out comparatively.... $$$.

Unfortunately it is still more than I've seen of a G70 in Colorado....

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I completed the online build for a 2020 340i Xdrive just to compare costs. I didn't realize the 340i was being released as a 2020. So it's not going to be available until later this year or early next year I'm assuming? Anyways, I tried to do a build as close feature wise to the 3.3t sport. The total before tax came to $73,651 (CAD). That doesn't include the laser headlights or gesture control which required a different package which was an additional $3800. It did include ambient lighting and automatic trunk though to be fair. That's a big difference though and no free maintenance either.

I doubt you will even be able to get to $57,500 in a 330i xDrive once you option it up and add 19" wheels. I do think the new 3 series looks good though, but there's no way I'm paying that much more considering how great the G70 is to drive.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The guys at TheStraightPipes really liked it. Here is a review they did a few months ago. They review 330 and the M340i.

While I like these guys, I've lost a bit of respect for them after hearing about their thoughts on the G70. To me, it seems like they took SavageGeese's criticism to heart and forgot that he ALWAYS talks shit on any car, unless it's a dedicated track Corvette or Viper. He just likes to play devil's advocate when it comes to popular up and coming cars, you can see it with almost every single car he reviews. Anyway, to me it seems like straight pipes aren't strong willed enough to think for themselves when it comes to peer's subjective opinions.

All of this said, I know they are in love with the M340i, but I have a suspicion that the G70 will have better suspension, steering, and overall handling than the BMW, along with a better interior with more features, especially for the price.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums