Any high mileage Genesis owners out there??

2bornot2b

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2009 v6 w/tech pkg that I purchased in Aug. of 2016 w/116k on the clock. As of today, I have 141k on the clock and have had no major problems with it. Changed the brakes/rotors, spark plugs and serpentine belt. Aside from the well documented issue of the engine noise upon start up (which drives me crazy lol), I have had no problems with it. The only problem so far has been the back up camera. It went from working to working intermittently to not working at all. I plan on looking into it when the weather gets a bit warmer. My only dilemma as of late has been if I should change the trans fluid or not. Two mechanics that I trust have told me not too, especially if I did not know if it had been done in the past. Luckily, the trans shifts perfectly so I’m not worried about it, for now. 😊

Skacatz

Registered Member
Virginia
My 2013 3.8 just turned 103,000 miles. On my third set of tires and have had two windshields replaced. I'm a sales rep that sees a lot of windshield time. Been very happy with the car and am hoping to push it to 150,000 miles. I take it in for regular oil changes and nobody works on it but the dealer. Problem with the kind of miles i drive is that the depreciation outruns the length of time i have to drive the car to make it pay for itself. Will probably have to give it away when i through with it but it's been a hell of a lot of fun to own and drive.
Anyone out there with feedback or an opinion please feel free to chime in.

Btw...at my last oil change i had them check the brakes. Dealer says the front brake rotors show minor wear and the pads are very good. Never had a car i could say that about before.

adf

My 2011 4.6 is already at 118K. I change oil every 5K. New brakes. Need to replace upper arms on both sides. Dealer $235 each; eBay $120 for 4, including shipping. There's some noise of something either released or broken (god forbid). It comes from beneath the driver seat, UNDER the car. It has covers which need to be taken off to find the reason for the noise. Did alignment at Sears ($64 on Groupon). It held for just 7K miles. Need to take it again... Am on the market for a 3rd set of tires. Trying to find a good deal...
I LOVE this car. My next one would be a later model 5.0, or Equus ultimate....

StealthyKDM

Carson Ca
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hello. I am fairly new to this forum, I own a 2012 genesis sedan 3.8 with tech pkg. I've owned the vehicle for about 3 weeks now and I love it. When I purchased the car, it had 86,696 miles on it and now it has around 87,130. I don't know if this is considered high mileage, but it is for me. I am 22 and this is my first car.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
Hello. I am fairly new to this forum, I own a 2012 genesis sedan 3.8 with tech pkg. I've owned the vehicle for about 3 weeks now and I love it. When I purchased the car, it had 86,696 miles on it and now it has around 87,130. I don't know if this is considered high mileage, but it is for me. I am 22 and this is my first car.
My first car had 206k miles. Drove her until 234k miles. I'd say you're on the low side. "She" was my first love but not my last. Should have never gotten rid of her either :(

Impala.jpg

adf

Just entered 120K.
Replaced alternator.
Strong noise from the front. Going to replace 4 top arms on front wheels.
SCC sensor works when it feels like it (light comes on when trying to pres the "set"). Can't find the reason...
when the car is hot (driving 40 miles or more) there's a strong cracking noise, from underneath the middle of the car, as if the car is broken and the two parts are touching other, Looked underneath, but it's covered with plates...
All and all, LOVE that monstrous V8. Changing synthetic oil every 4K-5K miles.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Just entered 120K.
Replaced alternator.
Strong noise from the front. Going to replace 4 top arms on front wheels.
SCC sensor works when it feels like it (light comes on when trying to pres the "set"). Can't find the reason...
when the car is hot (driving 40 miles or more) there's a strong cracking noise, from underneath the middle of the car, as if the car is broken and the two parts are touching other, Looked underneath, but it's covered with plates...
All and all, LOVE that monstrous V8. Changing synthetic oil every 4K-5K miles.
Your car may need a center carrier bearing for the driveshaft, this could be your noise in middle of car.

Audio

Registered Member
Omaha, NE
Genesis Model Type
Unless you are using it on a race track, why would you need to change synthetic oil that often?
Ya know.. I bit my tongue on this one specifically because a lot of people get on the "I don't care what science and proven tests say, I know what's best and better to waste money than take a chance" mindset.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ya know.. I bit my tongue on this one specifically because a lot of people get on the "I don't care what science and proven tests say, I know what's best and better to waste money than take a chance" mindset.
Not to mention what the dealer and oil change places tells you. Had my first service and had synthetic done for the change. Got in the car and the little reminder sticker they put on the windshield was for 3000 miles. If 7500 is considered normal for regular oil, I'm certainly not changing synthetic any sooner. The mindset of some has not changed since 1960,

Audio

Registered Member
Omaha, NE
Genesis Model Type
Not to mention what the dealer and oil change places tells you. Had my first service and had synthetic done for the change. Got in the car and the little reminder sticker they put on the windshield was for 3000 miles. If 7500 is considered normal for regular oil, I'm certainly not changing synthetic any sooner. The mindset of some has not changed since 1960,
And that 3000 mile recommendation started out innocent enough when oil really did break down not long after that. The problem is, as oil technology has advanced, oil companies and shops have perpetuated that recommendation in the name of business. Can't blame them really, but it's still pretty shady.

BrandonP

Genesis Model Type
I have owned my 2012 Hyundai Genesis premium for over 3 years. Has 120k on it. Bought with only 27k miles. Bought a extended warranty for $1800 3 years ago.

Set of tires each year.
Replaced brakes and rotors twice.
Oil change every 4000-5000 miles.
Spark plugs, fluid, and filters are up to date on maintenance.

Have had a lot of issues...

30k- Front sensor replaced. ($)?

50k - Transmission replaced & fog light Assembly.($?)

90k- Blower motor, electronic parking brake, rear caliper. ($2500-$3000)

80k- rear sway bar $360 not the dealer.

116k- (2) CVVT inside the engine, timing chain, front control arms and tension arm Assembly front. ($5100-$7600)

(* Warranty company used some oem parts. So the actual payout and what the dealer paid I guess are different. Dealer quoted high price.)

Extended warranty saved me.

Also have replaced the fuse for the outlet 3 times and now is not working and the dealer says it’s not the fuse. Also front parking sensor is malfunctioning again. Will get this issued addressed.

Only have 5000 miles left on the warranty and will be trading it in before it expires.
Love the G80 sport but will be looking elsewhere after this amount of issues. Paint looks flawless but the interior shows wear.

Also agree with the soft windshield and weaker cooled seat. Have had 3 chips repaired. Asked how much the windshield replacement is around $600-$700.

Love the car! Options, horsepower, and the look you can’t go wrong. But to many issues through out. Even though not a lot out of pocket for me besides 2 $100 deductibles and a few extra rental days. Not to bad. But with no warranty I would of been screwed.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
I am pretty sure you simply got a "lemon" and simply bad luck. Get whatever car you want next time, dont worry about what may happen - use the warranty and enjoy.

How did you have to replace the rear sway bar??? That thing should never have to be replaced. I mean never unless you get hit on the back rear tire...

I have owned my 2012 Hyundai Genesis premium for over 3 years. Has 120k on it. Bought with only 27k miles. Bought a extended warranty for $1800 3 years ago.

Set of tires each year.
Replaced brakes and rotors twice.
Oil change every 4000-5000 miles.
Spark plugs, fluid, and filters are up to date on maintenance.

Have had a lot of issues...

30k- Front sensor replaced. ($)?

50k - Transmission replaced & fog light Assembly.($?)

90k- Blower motor, electronic parking brake, rear caliper. ($2500-$3000)

80k- rear sway bar $360 not the dealer.

116k- (2) CVVT inside the engine, timing chain, front control arms and tension arm Assembly front. ($5100-$7600)

(* Warranty company used some oem parts. So the actual payout and what the dealer paid I guess are different. Dealer quoted high price.)

Extended warranty saved me.

Also have replaced the fuse for the outlet 3 times and now is not working and the dealer says it’s not the fuse. Also front parking sensor is malfunctioning again. Will get this issued addressed.

Only have 5000 miles left on the warranty and will be trading it in before it expires.
Love the G80 sport but will be looking elsewhere after this amount of issues. Paint looks flawless but the interior shows wear.

Also agree with the soft windshield and weaker cooled seat. Have had 3 chips repaired. Asked how much the windshield replacement is around $600-$700.

Love the car! Options, horsepower, and the look you can’t go wrong. But to many issues through out. Even though not a lot out of pocket for me besides 2 $100 deductibles and a few extra rental days. Not to bad. But with no warranty I would of been screwed.

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2009 sedan with 175300 miles. Third owner.
Nice, I have a 2009 4.6. My mechanic is replacing coils and a H2o sensor not sure which one? have you done this? I bought mine at a dealer with 115,000 on it.Now it has 125,000. The rear bumper had yellow bubbling on it? im trying to fix the paint myself? Sherwin Williams will sell you paint for your car? Wow the world has changed.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The rear bumper had yellow bubbling on it? im trying to fix the paint myself? Sherwin Williams will sell you paint for your car? Wow the world has changed.
I bought paint on line. Perfect match to my Sonata, from www.automotivetouchup. They sell from tiny brush jars to gallons. There are other sources too.

AVMIII

Registered Member
2011 4.6
138k 2nd owner.
trans slipping around 60k, flushed, and changed filter. better, but every once in a while slips into 2nd. no real big deal as long as it keeps going. Starter went at 80k, dealer ripped me off for $800. I'll let you know if I like it if/when it hits 200k like my 2 Lincoln Mark VIIIs did or 88 Tbird, without coughing up a trans or engine dying. Highway ride OK, but too bumpy on secondary roads. Am thinking of used G90 when this one croaks, as long as I can buy it for 1/2 price at 3 yrs old like I did the 4.6 Genesis.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.