Any high mileage Genesis owners out there??

Edrosado

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Curious as to you mileage and how the car is holding up....
I average at the bare minimum 3000 miles a month...will a Gensis hold up to this abuse for several years?
I have a 2010 genesis 4.6 it has 187,240 miles. The changes i have made
1. Battery
2. Alternator
3. Purge control valve
4. Cleaned mass air flow parts

Besides the tires, brakes, plugs, cables,rotors and serpentine belt it really has been an awesome vehicle and rides as smooth as when i purchased it with 20k miles. Except for the rear seat dome lights its been a great vehicle.

Last edited:

Edrosado

Genesis Model Type
2011 4.6
138k 2nd owner.
trans slipping around 60k, flushed, and changed filter. better, but every once in a while slips into 2nd. no real big deal as long as it keeps going. Starter went at 80k, dealer ripped me off for $800. I'll let you know if I like it if/when it hits 200k like my 2 Lincoln Mark VIIIs did or 88 Tbird, without coughing up a trans or engine dying. Highway ride OK, but too bumpy on secondary roads. Am thinking of used G90 when this one croaks, as long as I can buy it for 1/2 price at 3 yrs old like I did the 4.6 Genesis.
I purchased my 2010 used with about 30k on it, i changes all fluids, transfer case and made a relationship with out of dealer mechanic. I did change the altenator at 130k and a battery also. Only cost me 150 for the labor and about 220 fornthe altenator. This car does meed babying, however mine drives and looks new. Best to you and remember baby it on its consumables:)

Edrosado

Genesis Model Type
Here's my problem. The sensor malfunction was very intermittent (except when I'm stuck in traffic trying to get out of downtown, of course!). By the time I got over to Westside, it was working perfectly, a wasted trip. And Westside wouldn't order a new one just on my say-so. I stopped in Key when it was still acting up one day, and got the service manager to come out and see it with his own eyes. That's when I got the warranty work scheduled. There are some advantages to being 5 minutes away from the dealer! :) I'll let you know how it goes.
Ive experienced the output of your battery is critical to these computer operated vehicles, check alternator and battery often, clean posts well and lubricate terminals. It is amazing what issues occur if there is even a minimal issue with battery and or alternator.

Edrosado

Genesis Model Type
Ive experienced the output of your battery is critical to these computer operated vehicles, check alternator and battery often, clean posts well and lubricate terminals. It is amazing what issues occur if there is even a minimal issue with battery and or alternator.

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2009 4.6 V8. 125 miles owned 1.6 years. Multiple issues with engine running died twice. OBD meter says vacuum leak Po456? 5 days at the2nd Hyundai dealership. They can't find what's wrong. May need new Engine Control Module ECM. major cash $1100 for the module. Radio quit, cd payer doesn't work.

snork

Registered Member
North NJ
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Final check in on my 09 4.6 w/ Tech: drove it to 205,500 miles, traded her in for a CPO 2015 3.8 AWD w/ Tech package.

The few issues I had as follows:
1. After I got the car, the driver's seatbelt warning light and key not in car warning light would randomly come on while driving. I reseated all the pins in the seatbelt wiring harness and it resolved both issues. I chalk it up to bad grounding.
2. thermostat stuck open at 29k, replaced under warranty
3. wiper motor failed at 95k, replaced by dealer at cost of about $600, but ultimately got my money back as Hyundai issued a recall on the wiper motors and extended the warranty on them to 100k.
4. PCV failed at 150k, replaced myself for about $25
5. LF brake line failed, RF brake line failing at 185,000 (luckily when starting the car and not driving). Replaced for $900
6. Finally got engine codes for fuel purge valve and fuel pressure sensor on gas tank at 204,000. Didn't want to spend any more on her, so traded it in. The parts were cheap, about $100 total but DIY was a bitch (drop the tank) and I didn't want to pay the dealer another $500 to fix it.

Other than that just basic maintenance: oil changes every 7500, brakes at 85k and 160k, tires every 50-60k (Continental PureContact EcoPlus), 1 4-wheel alignment, coolant at 65k & 125k, plugs/serpentine belt/rear differential fluid at 125k, air filters 2x a year. Tranny is sealed, no service done.

salcirabisi

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Edrosado

Genesis Model Type
I average at the bare minimum 3000 miles a month...will a Gensis hold up to this abuse for several years?
I have a 2010 genesis 4.6. I have i 184000 miles and i changed thhe Altenator, battery, sepentine belt, spark plugs and wster pump. Except for brake pads and cleaned the mass air flow, all has been great.

Nolfol

5.0 rspec 111k and it’s been doing ok
Bought with 35k on it
trans was replaced at 55k
It still hiccups every once and awhile
fixed leaky valve cover at 65k leaking again on my alternator ughh
Did the brakes at 95k and plugs
Head unit quit and mysteriously came back lol
Back up camera stopped working for a 2weeks
But now is fine ???
Regular oil changes at 5k and injection cleanings
Suck it through the brake booster hose
Amazing how much oil is in the intake manifold
Need to get a walnut blast done eventually
Most likely In the spring
Putting on my studded snows she about to get noisy lol

Tim Y

SoCal
Genesis Model Type
All my life I have been seeking good value, but super high quality must come FIRST.

So I have a pair of Martin Logan high end speakers, bought used. A Harmon Kardon 2-channel amplifier, bought refurbished. My phone is a new iPhone 7 (why should I spend $800+ for iphone 8?). I am a very HAPPY older person, and this Genesis v8 4.6 is a MAJOR reason why.

I bought this Genesis 2010 v8 4.6 with Tech Package with 135K on the ODO 2-yr ago. I did a lot of research for a long time and then took a chance jumping in. Of course I paid below market price for this oldie. I drove it for 2 years, just LOVE it from A to Z, ODO is now at 150K.

Now I have a budget to Upgrade my Genesis. I have spent 3 months looking around and looking very hard. This has been very exhausting checking daily and diligently. My final conclusion:
I AM GOING TO KEEP MY 2010 GENESIS V8 4.6, because there is no car out there that can satisfy or pass the quality of this 8-years old car, within the budget set.

And I can tell you exactly, ranking the features that are important to me that no other new Deluxe Car(s) can provide:

1. The ZF engine – in spite of the 150K miles on this Genesis, the RIDE is so superbly SMOOTH like silk, or a hot knife cutting thru butter. Every single time I get into the car, it just gives me Huge Joy. I totally believe when other owners said they would find any excuse to drive this beast. I don’t believe the ride of the v6 model of the same car would equal to the v8.
  2. The Audio – Lexicon with 17 speakers. Again, the v8 Tech Package version has the highest grade Lexicon installed at the time. It may not be as good as the Lexicon 2019 version of the G80/G90, but otherwise it is second to NONE. I am an audio nut, so the audio quality is Super Important to me on a daily basis. It has 6-disc DVD player (no video while driving, only audio), but I don’t have too many DVD/CD so my primary tool is the iPhone. Unfortunately, the cable interface is a iPhone4 connector so I am using my Old iphone4, but with no compromise on sound quality. I am on Tidal “Premium” subscription $9.99 per month with my favorite music. It is so amazingly “Concert Hall” quality sound like heaven. There is a Tidal “Hi-Fi” subscription for $19.99 per month and I would not want to spend that kind of money for an even better quality performance. The Subwoofer bass is clear, and so are ALL the 17 speakers around the car. I can’t play it loud when wife is in the car. BTW, only Rolls Royce and Genesis use Lexicon. Other premium brands are quite good in audio like B&O for Volvo, Burmister for Mercedes (but some issues reported online), but I believe Lexicon is one or two steps ahead of competition.
  3. The Look – I have to park the car right in front of the glass windows in our gym, so that I can watch it while I am doing my daily treadmill job. I spend a lot of time, every day just watching the car. Because it gives me joy just watching this beauty. Wife said I love the Genesis more than I love her. This is totally NOT TRUE. I do love her more than anything else. Genie is my second love.
  4. The Color white – the Pearl WHITE. Honestly, you can park all the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, you name it, just NO ONE has a better White than the Genesis Pearl WHITE. Not all the whites are the same. It looks like a Million Bucks.
  5. The color of the Windows – their windows has a tint that is slightly “smoky” that is much better looking than the standard windows. It does not look cheap.
  6. The interior lights and instrument illuminations – so much better at night. So pleasant.
  7. Maintenance – what maintenance? There is none whatsoever, except oil change. Not even transmission oil change, not necessary as sealed. However, brakes, you can’t replace it with any cheap no name brand. I bought it from a 3rd party dealer and they put it a New Cheap brakes. It would have squeaky metal noise within a few days. I have to take it to a Hyundai dealer to put in a factory approved brakes. It’s about 300 bucks installed so it is not outrageous, but you can’t do short cut on this car. Otherwise, I would assume this car would run another 150K miles with no major issue. I will not be surprised that this car will run to 1 million miles if you keep the basic maintenance on a timely manner. It’s so reliable. Most German brands are super expensive to maintain, and not reliable. Check online from owners who have reported issues after issues. I thank the Genesis engineers for a different attitude in work/business ethics, and not believing in overcharging customers.
  8. However, you should ONLY consider a similar used car with high mileage if it has ONE owner prior. I did.

I did make a honest effort to find a better car to trade this in.
But at the end of the day, I just can’t.
So I am KEEPING this car forever, until someone else can produce a better car at a budget that I can afford.

Tim Y

SoCal
Genesis Model Type
I
All my life I have been seeking good value, but super high quality must come FIRST.

So I have a pair of Martin Logan high end speakers, bought used. A Harmon Kardon 2-channel amplifier, bought refurbished. My phone is a new iPhone 7 (why should I spend $800+ for iphone 8?). I am a very HAPPY older person, and this Genesis v8 4.6 is a MAJOR reason why.

I bought this Genesis 2010 v8 4.6 with Tech Package with 135K on the ODO 2-yr ago. I did a lot of research for a long time and then took a chance jumping in. Of course I paid below market price for this oldie. I drove it for 2 years, just LOVE it from A to Z, ODO is now at 150K.

Now I have a budget to Upgrade my Genesis. I have spent 3 months looking around and looking very hard. This has been very exhausting checking daily and diligently. My final conclusion:
I AM GOING TO KEEP MY 2010 GENESIS V8 4.6, because there is no car out there that can satisfy or pass the quality of this 8-years old car, within the budget set.

And I can tell you exactly, ranking the features that are important to me that no other new Deluxe Car(s) can provide:

1. The ZF engine – in spite of the 150K miles on this Genesis, the RIDE is so superbly SMOOTH like silk, or a hot knife cutting thru butter. Every single time I get into the car, it just gives me Huge Joy. I totally believe when other owners said they would find any excuse to drive this beast. I don’t believe the ride of the v6 model of the same car would equal to the v8.
  2. The Audio – Lexicon with 17 speakers. Again, the v8 Tech Package version has the highest grade Lexicon installed at the time. It may not be as good as the Lexicon 2019 version of the G80/G90, but otherwise it is second to NONE. I am an audio nut, so the audio quality is Super Important to me on a daily basis. It has 6-disc DVD player (no video while driving, only audio), but I don’t have too many DVD/CD so my primary tool is the iPhone. Unfortunately, the cable interface is a iPhone4 connector so I am using my Old iphone4, but with no compromise on sound quality. I am on Tidal “Premium” subscription $9.99 per month with my favorite music. It is so amazingly “Concert Hall” quality sound like heaven. There is a Tidal “Hi-Fi” subscription for $19.99 per month and I would not want to spend that kind of money for an even better quality performance. The Subwoofer bass is clear, and so are ALL the 17 speakers around the car. I can’t play it loud when wife is in the car. BTW, only Rolls Royce and Genesis use Lexicon. Other premium brands are quite good in audio like B&O for Volvo, Burmister for Mercedes (but some issues reported online), but I believe Lexicon is one or two steps ahead of competition.
  3. The Look – I have to park the car right in front of the glass windows in our gym, so that I can watch it while I am doing my daily treadmill job. I spend a lot of time, every day just watching the car. Because it gives me joy just watching this beauty. Wife said I love the Genesis more than I love her. This is totally NOT TRUE. I do love her more than anything else. Genie is my second love.
  4. The Color white – the Pearl WHITE. Honestly, you can park all the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, you name it, just NO ONE has a better White than the Genesis Pearl WHITE. Not all the whites are the same. It looks like a Million Bucks.
  5. The color of the Windows – their windows has a tint that is slightly “smoky” that is much better looking than the standard windows. It does not look cheap.
  6. The interior lights and instrument illuminations – so much better at night. So pleasant.
  7. Maintenance – what maintenance? There is none whatsoever, except oil change. Not even transmission oil change, not necessary as sealed. However, brakes, you can’t replace it with any cheap no name brand. I bought it from a 3rd party dealer and they put it a New Cheap brakes. It would have squeaky metal noise within a few days. I have to take it to a Hyundai dealer to put in a factory approved brakes. It’s about 300 bucks installed so it is not outrageous, but you can’t do short cut on this car. Otherwise, I would assume this car would run another 150K miles with no major issue. I will not be surprised that this car will run to 1 million miles if you keep the basic maintenance on a timely manner. It’s so reliable. Most German brands are super expensive to maintain, and not reliable. Check online from owners who have reported issues after issues. I thank the Genesis engineers for a different attitude in work/business ethics, and not believing in overcharging customers.
  8. However, you should ONLY consider a similar used car with high mileage if it has ONE owner prior. I did.

I did make a honest effort to find a better car to trade this in.
But at the end of the day, I just can’t.
So I am KEEPING this car forever, until someone else can produce a better car at a budget that I can afford.

I must add one more comment. This babe is super Quiet at any speed. That’s so super nice.

Plus it’s so super FAST. I enjoy at the traffic light and when it turns green, I just sail on with a light touch on the pedal and it zooms far ahead of all the muscle cars. No kidding. Love it.

DaNooch

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Not to mention what the dealer and oil change places tells you. Had my first service and had synthetic done for the change. Got in the car and the little reminder sticker they put on the windshield was for 3000 miles. If 7500 is considered normal for regular oil, I'm certainly not changing synthetic any sooner. The mindset of some has not changed since 1960,
Let me preface this with the facts that I am a Automotive Mechanical engineer, who worked in the automotive industry (Siemens VDO, Continental AG, Schrader, GKN, you name it) I was a quality engineer so all I did was perform root cause analysis and find out how warranty parts failed, conduct all the validation testing of new products trying to be released etc. I lived pre-mature failure my whole career. When you get a part replaced under warranty I'm the guy that figures out how and why it broke and who's fault is it. And do we have to recall millions of cars. Super stressful, and you only get problems every day. so I went into racing and became an engineer for the SHR nascar team and finally the US Haas Formula 1 team. I'm also a member of the SAE and happen to have partaken in reviews of oil companies products to see if they qualify for SAE approval. Not trying to brag at all, I hate it, just trying to let you know I didn't learn this on the internet.. lol

Now!! first off. The guys at oil change places are not ones you want to take advice from regarding oil technology, and engine technology.

The "Dealer" is not the Hyundai design and validation engineers. They push whatever they are told and will also ignore a lot if they think the customer won't like it. You cannot trust every word a service manger says..

In fact Hyundai themselves does not tell you to wait till 7500 miles.. They state in the manual and on the website that it can vary from anywhere between 3300 miles for heavy use, up to 7500 MAXIMUM.

Here's the skinny on oil. You can never ever change the oil "To much" the more you change it the less wear your engine will see. That's a fact. Once the car has been run and driven one time acids form and start to eat away (micro level here) at the bearings and seals, etc..You are not wasting any money.. is it necessary? Only Hyundai engineers know what the engine is capable of withstanding. But it can only be beneficial to the motor to have the cleanest newest oil in it At all times.

Synthetic and Dino oil work exactly the same and both work great. Synthetic oil does not lubricate better than Dino oil "per say" (but the additives and cleaners etc in the full synthetic premium oil make it better period) the main difference between Syn and Dino is that the Dino will break down and soon. I'm talking 5k max.. after that the motor will be seeing excessive wear on its components. You won't know the motor is until the engine spins a bearing years later.

But Syn oil does not loose its viscosity and lube properties really at all for a long time.. so running full Syn is a practice of preventative maintenance and risk prevention. You can run full Syn for 10k. But here's the question.. if someone came to you and said "hey man we gta change out your blood every so many days but it's all good cause we got some old out of date yet safe enough blood you can get every 3 months for $20 which could make your organs wear out faster, or for $25 more we'll give you this new latest tech super blood that will guarantee never prematurely wear your organs out and you'll live longer." Would you take the old blood?? I wouldn't.

Oil is the engines life blood, the newer and better it is the longer your engine will live. Period. If you don't keep a car past 100k than who cares? The guy after you will deal with the motor and pay for it.. lol but if you keep it to 200 or more, then you better take care of it.

Plus most of the dealers in the US don't even use the correct oil? Hyundai calls for a Shell Helix oil that we cannot get in the states.. if not that they call for a Quaker State Syn Blend.. Dealers are using regular Dino oil.. Not Hyundai's idea. Plus even full syn (albeit better than Dino due to the cleaners and additives I mentioned earlier) still gets dirty, picks up contaminates and is not as effective as clean new oil..Not to mention GDI engines now are much harder on oil because they run race car compression ratios and the high pressure injectors will get fuel blow by and contaminate your oil. No one with a GDI motor should use anything but full Syn and change it before 7500.

So long story short do you need to change your oil every 3k miles like grandpa taught everyone? No...unless you are in extreme conditions like high heat, lots of idling, stop and go traffic, and most of all turning the engine on and off multiple times. Almost all of the wear your engine recieves in its life occurs at start up.

Even then modern engines are much cleaner and you could push it to 4. But man even Hyundai says 3300 for heavy use? And that's with Shell oil you can't get or a syn blend cause Quaker state pays hyundai to recommend their oil and market it. Just like Benz has Mobil 1.

The dealer? He's just giving you the cheapest shit they can and semding you on your way. You think they care if their hurting your long term engine life?? No they want business?!! They want your stuff to break to either collect the warranty payout from Hyundai or rape you to pay for it all yourself?? It more profitable to treat illnesses then it is to cure them, remember that.

So bottom line is, you are not correct in stating it's a waste of money? Cause it certainly is not. You are risking your engine life to save maybe $100 bucks or so a year? You can get 5quarts of full syn for under $25 at Walmart..just a reccomendation.

Omegadus

Genesis Model Type
Is this high enuff. 1872720190321_205026.jpgstill running strong as ever

Joeegi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Got an 2011 3.8 last June with 88k miles, currently at 100,500 with only oil changes done. Smoothest car ever w the Aisin engine

G-50181

bought 2011 4.6 with 23k mi in 2014 for 1/2 msrp. Paint a little rough but ok. Trans slipped a bit at 60k, so changed out fluid and filter. That just about fixed it. 150k now. Trans slip on occasion. Starter ($800 rip off) at 80k. normal brakes etc 3 sets conti tires. always use full synthetic oil and change 4-8k. Master window mirror switch shorted out. Drove me crazy for a while as rear window would got down with car off unoccupied. found a new switch for $35 on ebay that solved the problem. One especially madding issue is that seats are CRAP!!! drivers has ripped and no support. worst seats I've ever had! Acceleration still great, but ride not so great. If I was going to drive the car more than another yr, I'd think about new suspension parts. Secondary road ride was never great. Holding out to get a 2017 G90 in 2020 for 1/2 MSRP. Just have to start looking for one. not all that common even in northeast coast.

Tim Y

SoCal
Genesis Model Type
I bought the 4.6L 3yrs ago, paying pennies because of the high mileage 135K. This was top of the line, just a little lower than the R-spec.

Though it was risky with such a high mileage but the bargain price was worth the risk. I brought a mechanic to check it out but basically we didn't have the time to check every bolt and nut. Anyways, there was a near perfect car after 3 yrs and 10K miles later.

The things I like the most:
1) the super smooth drive - never have such experience in my life, talking about a 70yrs old driving all kinds of cars in my life. This is the best driving experience ever.
2) the white color look is so charming every single day.
3) noise - what noise? So quiet driving any speeds. The highway speed of 70+ is so pleasantly comforting, quiet, super stable.
4) the audio quality is so HEAVENLY, 6 disc CD player. 14 or 17 speakers, why they need that many, don't know, but I love it.
5) Only need oil change, that's all.

However, it sucks gas on City driving. Because this darn thing is 5200 Lbs heavy, and it's a v8 4.6

Just don't buy it with 2-3 prior owners. Mine is just 1 owner prior.

I will keep this car forever, maybe. Why I want to pay a new G80 for $50-65K?

BTW, the v8 4.6L is a German made ZF engine, not Aisin. Better, but both are great. Mine is 2010 v8 4.6

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.