Any high mileage Genesis owners out there??

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Purchased my 2011 4.6 w/tech in Sept. 2010. After 212,000 wonderful miles it has been replaced with a Toyota Highlander limited Platinum. The Genesis was the best car we have owned and it is missed. It was traded for the Toyota due to the rear diff. in the Genesis developing to much play and needed to be replaced and spending 1000 to 2000 dollars on a car with 212,000 miles was something I did not want to do. Otherwise the Genesis gave over 7 years of great service.

MeyerKy32

Getting familiar with the group...
My 2010 genesis i picked it up with 89k miles and I have put roughly 30k on it now in about 6 months I drive a lot.. only had one misfire and replaced the coil and plug asap.. I get an oil change roughly 4-5 miles and I just got new brakes on it. I put a new battery in it about month ago.. it runs fine. I love it.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
My 2010 genesis i picked it up with 89k miles and I have put roughly 30k on it now in about 6 months I drive a lot.. only had one misfire and replaced the coil and plug asap.. I get an oil change roughly 4-5 miles and I just got new brakes on it. I put a new battery in it about month ago.. it runs fine. I love it.
Every 4 to 5 miles? Damn, I've heard about being fanatical about oil change intervals, but that takes the cake! ;-)

charliet1948

Hasn't posted much yet...
loveland, co.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have 80K on a 2012. It has developed a poor idle only when the engine is cold, once it warms up it's fine. I've been looking for a vacuum leak, thinking once the car warms up the seal is much better. The only thing that makes any sense is the intake manifold gasket upper. Once those seals get hard and brittle the seal isn't great especially when cold.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I have 80K on a 2012. It has developed a poor idle only when the engine is cold, once it warms up it's fine. I've been looking for a vacuum leak, thinking once the car warms up the seal is much better. The only thing that makes any sense is the intake manifold gasket upper. Once those seals get hard and brittle the seal isn't great especially when cold.
Have you replace the spark plugs?

charliet1948

loveland, co.
Genesis Model Type
no, if the bad idle was all the time I would replace the plugs. Since it's only on a cold start up it makes sense to be the intake manifold gasket. Yet, when I change the gaskets I will replace the plugs since the intake needs to come off to access the passenger side bank. Thanks, Charlie

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
Seafoam through the vacuum line right before the throttle body.
Make sure the engine is fully hot. Go somewhere where you can be ok to blast out a huge cloud of gray smoke...
Suck up 1/2 a can through that line and let it sit for 5 minutes then fire up the car and go for a very quick acceleration.
Then poor the other half of the seafoam in the oil. Change the oil in 200 miles or so.

I did this every 10k or so in my previous vehicle- Acura TL sold with 285k miles and the engine was butter smooth.

I do this every oil change in the Genesis and it too is butter smooth. Change the oil at the dealership every 4-5 k as they only charge $35.

Last edited:

Sirbustergoodpup

North Central PA
Genesis Model Type
Just turned 91,000 on a 2010 Genesis 3.8. Absolutely no problems at all mechanically. Runs great, rides same. All highway miles. Just goes to visit grandkids, and trips. Very little short hopping around town.

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
138488k just today. SIGH mileage going up and now i have SMALL vibration at idle. UGHUG it is annoying to see the passenger seat jirate for nothing. The ride is still smooth though.

Skacatz

Registered Member
Virginia
Should roll over 100k in the next week or so on my 2013. I have warranty to 125,000 miles. After that I guess I'll be taking my chances. Problem is with the kind of miles I drive for business the car depreciates so fast. Plan to retire in 4 years and it would be nice if the car would last until then but you never know. Unfortunately there's no way to tell when that super expensive repair is around the next corner. You know the one that could cost half what the car is worth. Love the car though and think I might just be willing to take the risk.

margincalldue1

Connecticut
Hello all....
I am brand new on this forum. I have a 2009 Genesis 4.6 Black/Tan with 228,000 miles. The ONLY major issue was the power steering pump (electric motor type) needed to be replaced. $280 part (EBay) and my mechanic charged $520 in labor. Other than that no other issues except the tilt power steering knob does not function, although it does work as programmed in memory mode.
Luv, luv, luv my car and will drive her until she dies :))))

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
138488k just today. SIGH mileage going up and now i have SMALL vibration at idle. UGHUG it is annoying to see the passenger seat jirate for nothing. The ride is still smooth though.
Ever have the valve clearance checked and adjusted on your 3.8 v6? It has solid lifters and if not adjusted after that many miles then that can cause a vibration.

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
Purchased my 2011 4.6 w/tech in Sept. 2010. After 212,000 wonderful miles it has been replaced with a Toyota Highlander limited Platinum. The Genesis was the best car we have owned and it is missed. It was traded for the Toyota due to the rear diff. in the Genesis developing to much play and needed to be replaced and spending 1000 to 2000 dollars on a car with 212,000 miles was something I did not want to do. Otherwise the Genesis gave over 7 years of great service.
What were the signs of the "play" in the rear dif? I have really enjoyed your knowledge and information shared throughout the years regarding your vehicle ownership experience, especially since we basically have the same vehicle.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
What were the signs of the "play" in the rear dif? I have really enjoyed your knowledge and information shared throughout the years regarding your vehicle ownership experience, especially since we basically have the same vehicle.
The rear diff developed a fairly loud click when put in gear going from drive to reverse and back. It was not drive shaft or short shafts to wheels. the play was found to be in the diff. No noise while driving but we needed a car that would be for sure reliable on frequent long trips and decided not to spend the money on the rear diff.. If the Genny was only going to be used for trips of less than 100 miles I would have kept it.