G70 LED vs Stock Turn & Reverse Lights

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, my drivers side turn signal failed last night. Would have been nice if it happened when I was off for two weeks over Christmas and weather was relatively mild. Just going to pull the LEDs and go back to the original bulbs, which I saved.
Whelp, my drivers side buld died today, just like yours. It lasted about 10 months. I'll see if I can get a warranty replacement. For those who are wondering, it's these ones:

KCHAPY

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys, looking for the links to the best options for both sets of the bulbs, thats from or ships to Canada :)

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, that didn't take long. Installed on Friday night, the Lasfit turn-signals threw an error code for me today while at an intersection. Outside temperature was 97 and the stoplight was probably about a minute. I also ordered these at the same time but they haven't arrived yet; going to try them whenever they actually get here.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, that didn't take long. Installed on Friday night, the Lasfit turn-signals threw an error code for me today while at an intersection. Outside temperature was 97 and the stoplight was probably about a minute. I also ordered these at the same time but they haven't arrived yet; going to try them whenever they actually get here.
FYI those lights I linked to in eBay are not an exact fit. The "notches" are just a couple of degrees off. Use at your own risk.

brianong18

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
TO ALL PERFECTIONISTS: This light bulb thing has been KILLING ☠ me for the last few days. I tried several different bulbs (Sirius, Teguangmei, Everbright) and remained totally unsatisfied. The deep rich yellow of the front turn signals was completely washed out by utter blinding and Easter 🐇 yellow light. I ended up doing a bit of research on SMD lights, lighting strips, adapters, everything. I came up with a solution and some information. (SKIP TO SOLUTION to avoid my ramblings)

INFORMATION

1. Most bulbs use 3030 or 2835 SMDs. These are the BRIGHTEST :geek: and highest wattage bulbs typically used. They're popular in hyperflash applications because if enough are put together, they can result in a significant wattage to trick the relay system. Unfortunately they are CRAZY 🤪bright. The SMDs inherent properties DO NOT VARY from bulb to bulb maker when using the same SMD #. AKA Lasfit SMD 3030 is the same as SiriusLed 3030. The difference is bulb design (safety features, etc).

2. Attempting to place a relay on your lights is TOUGH due to the wiring scheme, with the ground wire running to multiple lights. Mounting a resistor within the housing is possible but SKETCHY as its a plastic mount. Mounting it between the light and car is impossible. Only mounting it inside, on a screw post is likely possible. It's alot of effort and opening the light housing wouldn't be fun; it appears to be plastic welded. No thanks 🙄.

SOLUTION (until somebody makes some aftermarket LED bling). Please perform at your own risk ⚠.

After playing with multiple bulbs, different colored sharpies, learning how glass paint works, having several glasses of wine🍷, and staring at my car for hours 😳, I discovered a way to reproduce the perfect yellow 💡to match the front lights and at a brightness that is also perfect.

For Reference these are the bulbs that I used. LASFIT would also work great. Teguangmei Turn Signal Bulbs. These use SMD3030s (same as LASFIT).

Using a Black Sharpie (industrial strength for good measure), I blacked out 5/9 of the SMD chips (On Lastfit, I recommend only 2, as only 6 SMDs exist per side). This SIGNIFICANTLY improved the brightness issue. However the color washout remained.

Using a Yellow Sharpie I filled in the remaining SMDs and then reinstalled (same for LASTFIT). This resulted in a LITERAL PERFECT COLOR MATCH to the front bulbs with brightness matching the front turn signals.
See this example picture of how this works.

View attachment 26531
IF YOU MESS UP, don't freto_O. Use a dab of 90% isopropyl etoh on a cloth and wipe the sharpie clean and wait to dry.
I didn't take a video of the lights on because cameras seem to have significant trouble capturing the differences in color. Just trust me on this color thing. Just... do it. Trust my 👀.

Hopefully this solution will remain permanent. Sharpie is fairly heat resistant (industrial to 500F).

Which yellow Sharpie did you use? There are a couple yellow ones I saw online so I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.

kolme

"Diablo Rojo"
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Which yellow Sharpie did you use? There are a couple yellow ones I saw online so I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.
Just the regular ol yellow sharpie, standard tip. 10338082_1.jpg

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had lasfit bulbs for ~3months and hyperflashed w/ error this morning after about 10mins of remote start.
I tried the AliExpress bulbs (all 4 bulbs costed me ~15$ if I remember correctly) that I ordered along with the lasfit but never tested out.
After about 15mins of running emergency lights, seems to be working fine. Hopefully doesn't blow up car.
Appearance and brightness looks identical to my eyes.

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have been on the hunt for LED turns, but with far fewer LEDS, because the lasfits are too bright, and I think the heat they generate causes the failures. But I can't find any reasonably bright 1156 replacements that are not crammed with a million freaking cheap diodes. All of these are doomed to failure from overheating, I think. But there are no reasonable replacements that I can find. I mean, the Lasfit could easily do with about half the number of LEDs. If anyone has a link to a a more reasonable bulb, I'd love to hear about it. Alos, a hyper-flash resistor really needs to be wired in, imo, I do not trust those tiny all-in-ones, again, too much electronics in a tiny space experiencing high levels of heat.

Plus, in the deep south where I live the average temp is 90-100 in the summer, and the ambient is actually much higher, so any bulb has to be able to handle say, 20 minutes of hazards without freaking out, dying, or melting my housing.

kolme

"Diablo Rojo"
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Plus, in the deep south where I live the average temp is 90-100 in the summer, and the ambient is actually much higher, so any bulb has to be able to handle say, 20 minutes of hazards without freaking out, dying, or melting my housing.
You can look back at some of my posts for the ones i use, which are basically lasfit lookalikes. However they too are prone to eventual failure. The reality is that no led bulb with a built in resistor will last 20 minutes straight. Heck 10minutes is even is lucky. If you want a true solution that you know will last a long time, then its time to try out an external resistor. Otherwise buy the cheap ones and replace often.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are several LED turn signal discussions here not all under one thread. I used Everlast 2800 lumen 1156 bulbs. Several folks here have used them. Like $15 a set back when I got them from Amazon. Been over 8 months and still going fine with no hyper flash. Have not purposely pushed them to find out what their limit is? I start my car in the afternoons remotely, walk through a large aircraft factory and a large sized parking lot and they are blinking normally when I get there. DFW has been plenty hot the last two months. They are still under their one year warranty too if they crap out down the road I’ll get another set.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are several LED turn signal discussions here not all under one thread. I used Everlast 2800 lumen 1156 bulbs. Several folks here have used them. Like $15 a set back when I got them from Amazon. Been over 8 months and still going fine with no hyper flash. Have not purposely pushed them to find out what their limit is? I start my car in the afternoons remotely, walk through a large aircraft factory and a large sized parking lot and they are blinking normally when I get there. DFW has been plenty hot the last two months. They are still under their one year warranty too if they crap out down the road I’ll get another set.
Mine continue to work all the time that’s not the problem the problem is if they’re on too long in the car freaks out and thinks the turn signal stoped working and gives you an error on the dash. I’m just wondering if a load resistor would stop that problem

viciousCircle

that's good to know

viciousCircle

Just installed the Everbright ambers, same as the members who purchased them in red for red tail lights. Work well. Do not seem too bright, very bright but not outrageous. They do have a glass housing over the diodes/emitters, so I could just paint with a smoky glass paint, or a put a darker yellow glaze on them if I find I need to calm then down (and if they last). They also don't fit incredibly tightly into the bulb housing, a tad bit loose.

Thanks for the video, OP< that was invaluable. I was so incredibly nervous taking those tail lights out, I was terrified of whacking that inner screw to pop them out, just to have them crash onto my concrete garage floor. The G70 manual was so sparse, they don't even tell you how to pop the wiring coupler off (eg, press hard on the bottom lip to undo the coupling). I had lots of screws that were pretty loose, lol. At this point, I feel my car was a Friday car, built by a crew of folks whose partners just left them, and the factory was built on a sacred burial ground. At this point, I was surprised a poltergeist didn't pop out of the tail light assembly.

Azmatik

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys so I saw the 2022 G70 the other day and noticed the rear light housing looks almost the same size as the current G70 as you can see in the pic the entire light housing looks to come off similar to the 2019 G70 does anyone know if the new 2022 G70 LED rear lights will fit into the 2019 G70?

Attachments

• 2021-Genesis-G70-Sedan-1_(1).jpg
    2021-Genesis-G70-Sedan-1_(1).jpg
    6 KB · Views: 3

kolme

"Diablo Rojo"
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys so I saw the 2022 G70 the other day and noticed the rear light housing looks almost the same size as the current G70 as you can see in the pic the entire light housing looks to come off similar to the 2019 G70 does anyone know if the new 2022 G70 LED rear lights will fit into the 2019 G70?
I thought about this as well. No way we'll know till a 2022 ships though. Parts may be tough to come by initially as well. My main concerns are that the turn signal and reverse lighting are currently halogen and these are LED. It could be as simple as installing a resistor, however these light assemblies are fairly complex. Upon opening a G80 taillight assembly I discovered 2 separate PCBs and an elaborate wiring scheme, prompting me to postpone a previous project. Either way, when parts are available or if a new 2022 owner wants to meet up for a swap, ill try the new assemblies out.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not the same shape. The new one is straight at the trunk ours is curved

7FB2DAF5-A19D-4650-A7B6-A09DA92ED0F7.jpeg 577DBD41-C476-4077-984D-B11A157F51C8.png

TheG70Life

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey everyone - I live in Arizona where temperatures easily reach 110+ during the summer. Which LED turn signal and reverse lights would you recommend that last long for my 2020 G70?

kolme

"Diablo Rojo"
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey everyone - I live in Arizona where temperatures easily reach 110+ during the summer. Which LED turn signal and reverse lights would you recommend that last long for my 2020 G70?
Reverse lights id say any are fine (no resistor needed)

For the turn signals with built in resistors, they'll all likely fail eventually. Bigger the heat sink, likely the longer they'll last. Hence the ones I posted before or the lastfits (look back a few pages for names and links).

The true solution is a stand alone and metal mounted resistor with a generous heat sink. In combination with a regular led bulb, you'll be able to survive the AZ heat much better than a built in resistor (same goes for Texas yall!)

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I know a few people have mentioned the sequential turning light and lights for reflectors, but has anyone actually done this?

I feel like every kia stinger i see with relfector lights, one of them is always busted XD

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners