Genesis Owners: What vehicle did your Genesis replace?

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis G70
Traded in a 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro for my Genesis G70 Sport.
The 4Runner was a great vehicle, but God awful to drive at speeds over 60MPH.
Luckily they hold an incredible value, so coupled with the Genesis discount, I came out pretty well in the end!

PFWiz

Registered Member
Lorain, Ohio
Genesis G80 Sport
My story is kind of funny. At least I think so....
My entire family has driven nothing but GMs for the past 20 years. Unfortunately GM has pretty much decided to get out of the car business. This left me open to trying tho find the best car for my needs.
My work cars have always been nothing but basic transportation. The last 3 being Chevy Cobalts. Base models with auto, air and nothing elese (I mean crank windows) I bought them lightly used and ran them to 150K miles. Anyways about 1 month ago when it was time to replace the last one I decided that being loyal to GM was no longer required and I ended up with a 2019 Elantra SE. It was built in Aug 2019 and had 1600 miles on it, so I got almost the whole warranty. (This car makes gas!)
Then 2 weeks later I made the mistake of telling my wife how much our 2016 Chevrolet SS was worth. She decided that it would never be worth more to us and it was time to say goodbye. She asked me to find what was available that met our desires and that I could get a good deal on. Just to let you know, if GM had been smart enough to make a 2020 SS I would own one now, no matter the price. Since they didn't the best car I could find that I could "steal" was our G80 Sport.
So in the space of one month I went from only having owned 1 Asian car in my entire life to having 2 of them in my garage.....

frunobulax

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis G70
2010 Infiniti G37 Sport for 2020 G70 3.3 Sport. The G70 is an improved reincarnation of the G37. Inflation adjusted, it cost about the same.

The G70 is better in all ways except for trunk space, but, folding rear seats are a plus.

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis G80

Stocks2k

Registered Member
I traded in a 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG for the G70 3.3 Sport AWD.

videopho

Huey Gunner
DFW TX
Genesis G70
Replaced my '13 Genesis r-spec with the G70.
The r-spec was the best and most comfortable car ever owned.
Why traded then?
Well I wanted something more sporty and smaller.
The G70 seems to fit the bill.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
These cars are, IMHO, not comparable at all.... the G37 was sporty, quick as hell, and smaller. The G80 is much better equipped, larger, and a bit slower. All of that also applies to me personally......... ;)
I couldn't describe my G37 to G80 experience any better.

Comp625

Registered Member
No Genesis Yet!
Traded in my wife’s 2010 Nissan Maxima SV. Just shy of 100k on the ODO.

Could have driven it into the ground but became obsessed with the G70. And I was worried the CVT could have developed an issue and I’d lose any trade-in value the car had. Well, at least that’s how I sold it to the wife:p

The Maxima was a great car. Tons of room, compliant ride, and was “quick” around town. No maintenance issues with it.
For those who replaced a 7th-gen Maxima (2009-2015) with either a G70 or G80, can you guys share your thoughts and comparisons? Ride quality/noise, handling, interior quality, comfort, etc.

I'm debating between a 19 G70 2.0T Prestige AWD vs. 18+ G80 3.3T AWD vs. 20 Sonata Limited 1.6T FWD (all used) as a daily driver in New England. Tech is a high priority. Without having test driven any due to COVID, here are my thoughts based on reading lots of reviews, watching YouTube reviewers drive, scanning over spec sheets, etc.

'18+ G80 3.3T
* Tech looks "older" - things like LKA don't work correctly. Screen is 720p and less crisp/modern.
* Dark chrome peels after car washes (see thread).
* Sound system has sibilance issues noticeable in talk radio (see thread).
* Too many sunroof-related noise complaints with lots of threads around this forum.
* Ultra-comfortable and quiet, but handling is sorta dull.
* Hate the two-tone black and brown leather in the 3.3T sport. Conversely, the 3.8 has all black leather but I hate the brown wood look.
* The Comma.AI / OpenPilot self-driving stuff is very intriguing through (see thread).
* 3.3T is oddly missing fog lights in favor of brake dust panel......
Final word: This was my original choice but as I research further into it, as a mid-30 something, the G80 has an "old man" feel. Great bang for the buck though.

'19 G70 2.0T Prestige
* Prestige trim has the modern tech and safety features (including Surround View camera) but steepens price to ~$40k.
* Quite a few Advanced trims out there but can't even find a used one with Prestige package nationwide if I wanted to buy today.
* Intentionally stiffer ride due to sport suspension but that should be OK coming from the Maxima.
* The 3.3T would be nice but I don't need the power for daily driving and would rather save on the cost.
* Backseat is uncomfortable for any taller passengers.
* I think I like the G70's smaller profile vs. the G80's boat-like look.
Final word: Probably the car I'll end up with given it blends luxury and sport with modern tech, but requires increasing budget by $10k (unless I wait another 1-2 years for further depreciation).

'20+ Sonata 1.6T Limited
* Really nice price tag.
* Tech is VERY nice and modern. I have real-life experience with it as relatives have a Hyundai Palisade.
* Leather seats are "hard" and "flat" (poor bolstering) which makes longer trips uncomfortable.
* Not powerful at all, and a downgrade from my Maxima. I could live with this as a daily driver if everything else was good...
* I dislike how the rear looks a lot.
* Not AWD.
* Road and wind noise is an issue though it may be due to one or more defective driver-side door parts (see thread).
* Certain amenities like rear-heated seats aren't available, but are in competitors' non-luxury sedans.
* N-line cost new starts to enter lightly used G70 territory.
Final word: I want to like the Sonata, but even compared to Toyota, Subaru, Honda, etc., they cut too many corners around comfort and noise.

Current '10 Maxima SV Sport
* Very comfortable and still looks good IMO in 2020.
* Definitely fun for a daily driver without being overly sporty.
* Still running at 160k miles but little things have begun to break down. My door lock actuators stopped working requiring manual lock/unlock.
* CVT reliability sketches me out.
Final word: Fantastic car with no regrets owning it over the last 8 years. I looked at the Infiniti Q50 but tech remains ancient and they didn't support Android Auto/Apple Carplay until the recent 2020 MY. I do really like the Q50's aesthetic look but overall it doesn't seem to be as good of an option.

dingyibvs

Registered Member
No Genesis Yet!
For those who replaced a 7th-gen Maxima (2009-2015) with either a G70 or G80, can you guys share your thoughts and comparisons? Ride quality/noise, handling, interior quality, comfort, etc.

I'm debating between a 19 G70 2.0T Prestige AWD vs. 18+ G80 3.3T AWD vs. 20 Sonata Limited 1.6T FWD (all used) as a daily driver in New England. Tech is a high priority. Without having test driven any due to COVID, here are my thoughts based on reading lots of reviews, watching YouTube reviewers drive, scanning over spec sheets, etc.

'18+ G80 3.3T
* Tech looks "older" - things like LKA don't work correctly. Screen is 720p and less crisp/modern.
* Dark chrome peels after car washes (see thread).
* Sound system has sibilance issues noticeable in talk radio (see thread).
* Too many sunroof-related noise complaints with lots of threads around this forum.
* Ultra-comfortable and quiet, but handling is sorta dull.
* Hate the two-tone black and brown leather in the 3.3T sport. Conversely, the 3.8 has all black leather but I hate the brown wood look.
* The Comma.AI / OpenPilot self-driving stuff is very intriguing through (see thread).
* 3.3T is oddly missing fog lights in favor of brake dust panel......
Final word: This was my original choice but as I research further into it, as a mid-30 something, the G80 has an "old man" feel. Great bang for the buck though.

'19 G70 2.0T Prestige
* Prestige trim has the modern tech and safety features (including Surround View camera) but steepens price to ~$40k.
* Quite a few Advanced trims out there but can't even find a used one with Prestige package nationwide if I wanted to buy today.
* Intentionally stiffer ride due to sport suspension but that should be OK coming from the Maxima.
* The 3.3T would be nice but I don't need the power for daily driving and would rather save on the cost.
* Backseat is uncomfortable for any taller passengers.
* I think I like the G70's smaller profile vs. the G80's boat-like look.
Final word: Probably the car I'll end up with given it blends luxury and sport with modern tech, but requires increasing budget by $10k (unless I wait another 1-2 years for further depreciation).

'20+ Sonata 1.6T Limited
* Really nice price tag.
* Tech is VERY nice and modern. I have real-life experience with it as relatives have a Hyundai Palisade.
* Leather seats are "hard" and "flat" (poor bolstering) which makes longer trips uncomfortable.
* Not powerful at all, and a downgrade from my Maxima. I could live with this as a daily driver if everything else was good...
* I dislike how the rear looks a lot.
* Not AWD.
* Road and wind noise is an issue though it may be due to one or more defective driver-side door parts (see thread).
* Certain amenities like rear-heated seats aren't available, but are in competitors' non-luxury sedans.
* N-line cost new starts to enter lightly used G70 territory.
Final word: I want to like the Sonata, but even compared to Toyota, Subaru, Honda, etc., they cut too many corners around comfort and noise.

Current '10 Maxima SV Sport
* Very comfortable and still looks good IMO in 2020.
* Definitely fun for a daily driver without being overly sporty.
* Still running at 160k miles but little things have begun to break down. My door lock actuators stopped working requiring manual lock/unlock.
* CVT reliability sketches me out.
Final word: Fantastic car with no regrets owning it over the last 8 years. I looked at the Infiniti Q50 but tech remains ancient and they didn't support Android Auto/Apple Carplay until the recent 2020 MY. I do really like the Q50's aesthetic look but overall it doesn't seem to be as good of an option.
Idk much about the Sonata, but I've driven the G80 and the G70. IMO they're vastly different cars. I'm also in my mid 30's, and I really, really wanted to like the G70 and the Stinger, but after test driving the G70 and sitting in a Stinger, they just feel like a class below the G80. It's hard to tell just by reading reviews and looking at pictures/videos, you really have to experience it.

Everything about the G80 just felt premium. In pictures the G70/Stinger looked to have better and more updated interior design, but in person they just don't look and feel as premium as the generic-looking G80's interior. The ride is also a LOT firmer in the G70. The G80 just felt really well tuned, it somehow manages to be both soft and not floaty at the same time, while also being really quiet. It was a clear class above even my Lexus RX in both ride and road noise.

Also, the G70 was a lot smaller than I expected. It seems like a typical compact sedan, but it really feels a lot smaller. Not only is the cabin space fairly short, it's also rather narrow. The trunk is really small, but at least the seats fold unlike the G80.

I also thought the G80 handled surprisingly well. It's a bit like the Lexus LS in that regard. You kind of expect it to drive like a boat, which is how my RX feels like, but it really doesn't. The G70 handled amazingly well of course, but I keep asking myself this question: am I really ever going to push a car beyond what the G80 can handle? I mean, the days of me driving 120mph without a seat belt are looong past. I just don't see myself really pushing a car that hard anymore, but I'd have to suffer with the noise and firm ride every time I drive.

normanite

Norman, OK
Genesis G70
Previous car was a 2016 C63s AMG. Sold it and replaced with a '20 G70 3.3t RWD Sport. Loved the AMG, but the warranty was almost up, and the last scheduled maintenance cost almost $800. So I wanted to try something new. Plus the wife didn't really want to drive the c63 since it was kinda my baby, and she was scared she'd scratch it or something. So the G70 is more "our" car I guess. So far we're loving it... Performance-wise, it's obviously not an AMG... But 3.3t is no slouch either (although I do miss the V8 exhaust!). Also, the Merc interior might have been a bit more visually appealing, but I'm shocked how luxurious the G70 feels compared to it. The materials used are fantastic, and I don't really feel it's a step down at all. Right on par with Mercedes in my opinion.

ChiTownGenny

Genesis G90
My new 2010 G90 3.3AWD is replacing my fourteen year-old Honda Accord (2006). The Accord was a great car and ran terrifically. No real problems ever, but it had come to the end of its useful life, especially since I hit one of those big truck tire treads on the highway a few months ago and had a big gash in my front bumper which looked awful. I could have gotten it fixed, but I decided not to drop $800 to fix a car with a KBB value of about $1600 at that point.

I wasn't planning on moving up to something as nice as a full size luxury sedan. I was actually thinking about another Accord or a Hyundai Sonata, but when I was at the Hyundai dealership, I checked out the Genesis vehicles, and I was pretty well hooked.

I'm younger than the typical G90 owner by about 20 years, so maybe the company's Super Bowl ad about "young luxury" is working!

OpIv37

Baltimore, MD
Genesis G80
Replaced my '13 Infiniti G37 with the '17 G80.

These cars are, IMHO, not comparable at all.... the G37 was sporty, quick as hell, and smaller. The G80 is much better equipped, larger, and a bit slower. All of that also applies to me personally......... ;)
my trade-in for the ‘18 G80 was a 2014 Infiniti Q50 so almost the same car you had. That 3.7L V6 hauled ass. The G80 is slightly slower but by no means slow. Overall, the tech in the G80 is much better and it’s a much bigger car. My Q50 was the AWD and It had run flats but the original owner had the spare tire kit added so the trunk space sucked.

Bmi949

Hasn't posted much yet...
First off I’ve been a Audi guy for the last 10 years. Love the A6 3.0. I sold my Cadillac Escalade Ext. Then bought my first 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0. Its a remarkable car so far. It feels very Luxurious and great styling. But I have also kept my 2 Audi’s, which are a more sportier and faster car.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums