Steering wheel power tilt & telescope limit switch replacement

daddio

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Just thought I would pass along my "solution" to the auto tilt steering wheel problem so many of us have had.
Once I was able to get the steering wheel in a good position for driving, I looked in the owners manual to see
which fuse controlled the tilt/telescopic feature (page 7-49 for my 2009 Genesis) & found that if I removed the
fuse labeled: 'P/Handle' (drivers side fuse panel), the steering wheel stays in the position I set it at. I don't mind
giving up the auto tilt/easy exit feature to make sure the steering wheel is usable for driving. Also, I keep the fuse
in a safe little plastic container in the car in case I ever need to put it back in to try & adjust the steering wheel.
Hope this helps.

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
Did anyone get this TSB repair done? Am curious as to how this is holding up? My local Hyundai Dealer Service person wants $195 for diagnosis (in case something else is wrong with the steering wheel); and then about $650 for the repair (assuming it is this TSB that they have to follow). I asked why do i need to pay for diagnosis if we know that it is the TSB; they do not have any answer for that.

I just got a 2009 car, and the Steering tilt/telescope switch is dead...I knew that when i bought it, but assumed that it may be an easy fix (guess not).

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
Just thought I would pass along my "solution" to the auto tilt steering wheel problem so many of us have had.
Once I was able to get the steering wheel in a good position for driving, I looked in the owners manual to see
which fuse controlled the tilt/telescopic feature (page 7-49 for my 2009 Genesis) & found that if I removed the
fuse labeled: 'P/Handle' (drivers side fuse panel), the steering wheel stays in the position I set it at. I don't mind
giving up the auto tilt/easy exit feature to make sure the steering wheel is usable for driving. Also, I keep the fuse
in a safe little plastic container in the car in case I ever need to put it back in to try & adjust the steering wheel.
Hope this helps.
I am assuming that your switch was working when you made the adjustment before removing the fuse to prevent position change.
Is there a way to mechanical make the change once or twice, vs having to spend hundreds of $s on the electronic switch replacement
Thanks

Special_Ed

Genesis Model Type
Did anyone get this TSB repair done? Am curious as to how this is holding up? My local Hyundai Dealer Service person wants $195 for diagnosis (in case something else is wrong with the steering wheel); and then about $650 for the repair (assuming it is this TSB that they have to follow). I asked why do i need to pay for diagnosis if we know that it is the TSB; they do not have any answer for that.

I just got a 2009 car, and the Steering tilt/telescope switch is dead...I knew that when i bought it, but assumed that it may be an easy fix (guess not).
The dealership told me that they want $1,200 to fix. They said it’s not covered under my current extended warranty and that this TSB doesn’t apply. They are claiming the motor in the steering wheel needs to be replaced.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The dealership told me that they want $1,200 to fix. They said it’s not covered under my current extended warranty and that this TSB doesn’t apply. They are claiming the motor in the steering wheel needs to be replaced.
I though things like that are a reason to have an extended warranty. Is it powertrain only?

Special_Ed

Genesis Model Type
Wow.

Wow.
They diagnosed for free, or charged for the diagnosis?
I bought the vehicle from them. At the time I was looking at it, the tilt steering was the only issue. One guy said it’s a $250 fix. I said I would take it if they fixed that issue. They didn’t when I went back to purchase but I wanted the car, so I bought it. I’m not sure if they ever looked at it or not. Glad I got the extended warranty though. I’ve had several issues and the warranty has covered them. Sucks that I have to pay $145 each time they have to diagnose something.

Special_Ed

Genesis Model Type
I though things like that are a reason to have an extended warranty. Is it powertrain only?
It’s not a bumper to bumper warranty but they have fixed electrical stuff like fog lights, dome lights, switch to gas cap release. It seems like they are avoiding the steering wheel issue though, unless I pay up $1,200.

Special_Ed

Genesis Model Type
It’s not a bumper to bumper warranty but they have fixed electrical stuff like fog lights, dome lights, switch to gas cap release. It seems like they are avoiding the steering wheel issue though, unless I pay up $1,200.
They even replaced the control system that has the dial and buttons for navigation/stereo/etc. Shit they even had to replace the motor. The motor and new parts for the motor cost $12,000. Now I have a 2009 with 80,000 miles and an almost completely new motor.

daddio

Genesis Model Type
I am assuming that your switch was working when you made the adjustment before removing the fuse to prevent position change.
Is there a way to mechanical make the change once or twice, vs having to spend hundreds of $s on the electronic switch replacement
Thanks
In my case, the tilt was very intermittent. I waited until it was working for a few minutes (which only happened once in a great while), put the steering wheel in the position I liked & then pulled the fuse. Good luck!

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
OK. Update on how the 2009 Steering Tilt/Telescoping issue was resolved.

Based on the advice from this forum (thank you!), I took a risk and bought this module on EBay (it was 15% off sale at the time; so got it for less than $60 buck.
OEM 08-14 Hyundai Genesis 954503M151 Tilt and Telescoping Module Assembly for sale online | eBay

Found a local mechanic shop in San Jose, CA, who has done Genesis repairs before; and he charged me $235 to install it using the TSB writeup (I know, it is steep in hindsight; he charged me 1.5 Hrs of labor at $149/hr, plus tax). That fixed the problem, and the steering wheel works just as well as it does on my 2015. When i had called the dealer service center, they wanted $200 for labor, but would install only the part that they get from their parts dept for $245 or so.

If anyone else has this issue, hope this helps. Thanks

Valo_Soul

Registered Member
As expected, I now have this issue. The dealer here in Canada is quoting me almost $900 ($865 to be exact), parts and labour. No way in Hell I can afford that just to adjust my wheel again. Ugh :(. And apparently the TSB's are only valid for in-warranty vehicles?

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
Sorry to hear that.
Suggest buying one from eBay, they are still about USD 60, print out the TSB instructions, and give an independent mechanic to do the replacement for time spent (assume 2 hrs max, more like 1 if not a 2009 as that has a 2nd step for disabling something additional after replacement is done) .
Let us know how it goes.
Best of luck.

Btw, where are you in Canada? If near Surrey, I may have a lead for you.

Valo_Soul

Registered Member
Sorry to hear that.
Suggest buying one from eBay, they are still about USD 60, print out the TSB instructions, and give an independent mechanic to do the replacement for time spent (assume 2 hrs max, more like 1 if not a 2009 as that has a 2nd step for disabling something additional after replacement is done) .
Let us know how it goes.
Best of luck.

Btw, where are you in Canada? If near Surrey, I may have a lead for you.
Thank you so much. In fact mine is a 2009 Tech Package. I’m towards Halifax actually, so far on the East Coast. I really appreciate that though!

I’ll look into this fix!