The Beef's G70

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So...fun update for you folks.

I am just over 1k miles. My buddy has a 2018 S4 (manufacturer says 4.4 sec) also just broke 1k miles.

Went to lunch...and then drove out to some remote areas.

We ran head to head on several runs. Temps are about 45F...so perfect for turbos. Richmond, VA area is not high elevation.

Both used launch control...and also simply "pedal to the metal".

After 6 runs...3 launch control and 3 without...my car edged the S4 by about a 1/4 of a car EACH time.

No idea what that translates to time in seconds. Point is...every single time the G70 outdid the S4 by a 1/4 car to 60.

You can knock it all you want. We did everything correctly...and there is no science to it. Mash the f'ing peddle.

I had a grin from ear to ear. He was f'ing pissed. But we love each other :)

So...the G70 either does 4.5 (if the Audi is underrated)...or it did 4.4 (if the G70 is underrated)...or the G70 did 4.3 which simply outdid the Audi (which was my expectation from the beginning).

This car is f'ing fast.

So all said and done...I am convinced that the G70 is a 4.3 second car (based on Audi being conservative). With the JB4...I bet it is a ~3.8 second car.

Anyhoo...take that as it is. Don't give me BS about better drivers...or tires...or hair do's, etc. Is what it is.

The f'ing G70 is a blazing fast car !!!

Cheers.
This is one of the best posts about this car and one I needed to read. I have a 17 A4 JB4 tuned(with other mods) and my lease is up in Sept. I have been going around and around what to get and the G70 has been at the top of my list since it was announced. The fact that there is a JB4 for it really sealed the deal. I have been with Audi for over a decade(worked for them as well) and have been through many cars. I would not feel like I downgraded by going with the G70 for the same price as my A4 but the performance of the S4.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is one of the best posts about this car and one I needed to read. I have a 17 A4 JB4 tuned(with other mods) and my lease is up in Sept. I have been going around and around what to get and the G70 has been at the top of my list since it was announced. The fact that there is a JB4 for it really sealed the deal. I have been with Audi for over a decade(worked for them as well) and have been through many cars. I would not feel like I downgraded by going with the G70 for the same price as my A4 but the performance of the S4.
I am also a hardcore Audi guy. I've owned about 8 of them over the years. I was really torn about leaving Audi...and literally almost bought an S4 instead.

All that said...I have ZERO regrets. It has been 3 months now. I don't even look back. I see S4's all the time and I never think "what if". I just think about spanking the car...LOL.

Best car purchase of my life.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So...fun update for you folks.

I am just over 1k miles. My buddy has a 2018 S4 (manufacturer says 4.4 sec) also just broke 1k miles.

Went to lunch...and then drove out to some remote areas.

We ran head to head on several runs. Temps are about 45F...so perfect for turbos. Richmond, VA area is not high elevation.

Both used launch control...and also simply "pedal to the metal".

After 6 runs...3 launch control and 3 without...my car edged the S4 by about a 1/4 of a car EACH time.

No idea what that translates to time in seconds. Point is...every single time the G70 outdid the S4 by a 1/4 car to 60.

You can knock it all you want. We did everything correctly...and there is no science to it. Mash the f'ing peddle.

I had a grin from ear to ear. He was f'ing pissed. But we love each other :)

So...the G70 either does 4.5 (if the Audi is underrated)...or it did 4.4 (if the G70 is underrated)...or the G70 did 4.3 which simply outdid the Audi (which was my expectation from the beginning).

This car is f'ing fast.

So all said and done...I am convinced that the G70 is a 4.3 second car (based on Audi being conservative). With the JB4...I bet it is a ~3.8 second car.

Anyhoo...take that as it is. Don't give me BS about better drivers...or tires...or hair do's, etc. Is what it is.

The f'ing G70 is a blazing fast car !!!

Cheers.
Outstanding!!

I can't wait to...
1) Buy a G70
2) Tune it

Haha

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am also a hardcore Audi guy. I've owned about 8 of them over the years. I was really torn about leaving Audi...and literally almost bought an S4 instead.

All that said...I have ZERO regrets. It has been 3 months now. I don't even look back. I see S4's all the time and I never think "what if". I just think about spanking the car...LOL.

^ what i like about your head-to-head comparison is the practicality of it. this is what a real owner driving a real production unit can reasonably achieve in the real world. major car rags can achieve better/different results due to numerous factors: they tweak air pressures, use extreme launch techniques (i.e. the Honda S2000 clutch drops from 7+k rpms), or even get a juiced car from the manufacturer. while i like the multi-car comparos of a reputable car mag, where testing is done under the same conditions with similar techniques for a reasonable baseline, i prefer feedback from shade-tree real world tests like this (while not promoting street racing).

i did a similar rural road side-by-side comparo with the 2.0T 6MT and my old G37S before making the switch. i knew how quick/fast the G37S was, and there was no data available on the G70 6MT so i had to create my own amateur empirical testing! i did as much to remove the 6MT driver launch variable from the equation so all pulls were from a rolling start. each time the G70 pulled on the G37S up to 4th gear when the G37, predictably, started to walk away. good enough for me in stock form.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ what i like about your head-to-head comparison is the practicality of it. this is what a real owner driving a real production unit can reasonably achieve in the real world. major car rags can achieve better/different results due to numerous factors: they tweak air pressures, use extreme launch techniques (i.e. the Honda S2000 clutch drops from 7+k rpms), or even get a juiced car from the manufacturer. while i like the multi-car comparos of a reputable car mag, where testing is done under the same conditions with similar techniques for a reasonable baseline, i prefer feedback from shade-tree real world tests like this (while not promoting street racing).

i did a similar rural road side-by-side comparo with the 2.0T 6MT and my old G37S before making the switch. i knew how quick/fast the G37S was, and there was no data available on the G70 6MT so i had to create my own amateur empirical testing! i did as much to remove the 6MT driver launch variable from the equation so all pulls were from a rolling start. each time the G70 pulled on the G37S up to 4th gear when the G37, predictably, started to walk away. good enough for me in stock form.
Not too mention...it’s FUN !!!

So wait. I used to have a G37S Coupe. That was a 5 second car (60 mph). That means the same (at a minimum) for the 2.0T MT !!!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

So wait. I used to have a G37S Coupe. That was a 5 second car (60 mph). That means the same (at a minimum) for the 2.0T MT !!!
You missed the rolling start part!

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

^ ha ha, not quite. the G37S sedan was 5.1s 0-60 but needed to be revved to get the most out of the engine. the G70 2.0T has much more area under the curve down low in the band, which relates to real world driving around town. 260 lb-ft @ 1400rpm on the G70 versus 269 lb-ft @ ~4500rpm on the G37s is a big factor for usable power for street driving. on the track, the G37 would outrun the 2.0T no question, but for <90mph the 2.0T is plenty quick for most situations.

C&D does a 5-60mph rolling start test which i like more than the 0-60. if you see a huge gap between the two tests that tells me that the launch is too much of a factor (for 6MTs) or the engine lacks torque down low (again, like the Honda S2000 tests showed).

Last edited:

Slides

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

LOL. As a current B9 S5 'owner', strange as it may sound, I'm looking forward to my lease being over so I can get a G70. 2 more years!

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My first 2 kills...same day...with the JB4.

This thing is a rocket...words cannot describe it.

#1...brand new S4...no problem. Off the line...well over a car length. Had to shut it down. Would have been even more.

#2...this was on the interstate. 911 Carrera S. Not the newest...but the 2018. Had him by a bit no matter what he did. He sure tried...but I pulled on him every time. He obviously didn't have the Sport Chrono Package. This is a 4.1 second car folks (2019 is 3.5 seconds w/o Chrono). With my latest readings...I am pretty much a 4.0 second car now. Dear Lord.

My numbers roughly are as follows...one day I will dyno it (I think)...
- 430 HP
- 516 Torque

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.