• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

The Beef's G70

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Same boat in regards to the Stinger. I reeeeaaallllyyy wanted to like it! The price, configuration and practicality just made sense. But the test drive didn't wow me...there was no chemistry there. *shrug*
I even tried to like it "again" when the price kept dropping on it--but it just didn't work.
I guess there is just quite a bit about a car that is personal preference.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't really understand why everyone is acting like the G70 is some kind of miracle worker and the Germans are no competition. You're running a chip, obviously you're going to beat those stock cars. If they were running a chip, they'd be faster too. Not sure why that's news to anybody. Yes, the G70 is fast, but it's not as fast as the new BMW 3 series. As the video jailer posted demonstrates, the 340 x-drive is as fast (stock) as the G70 with the JB4.

Anyways, I'm not trying to shit on the G70, it's an amazing car, that's why we got it as well, but lets not act like the competition is trash, because it most certainly isn't. Unfortunately, the new 340 x-drive is about $25k more (similarly equipped) than the G70 3.3 Htrac Sport here in Canada. I do think the 340 is the better car, and if price wasn't a consideration, I'd get that over the G70 without a doubt, but it's not $25k better. The price is where the G70 shines, and at that, it's an amazing car, and for a first generation product is actually my preferred pick over the C43 AMG, about on par with the S5 Sportback, and just shy of being as good of a car as the 340. I think Genesis did an incredible job. I just wish people would stop with this over the top nonsense acting as if the competition is garbage in comparison 😒. Fanboyism is not good for anybody. As someone who loves cars, I like to appreciate the ones I own and the ones I don't.
Fanboyism is the reason German cars are priced so far over something like the G70 lmao. To each their own. Obviously most people would love to drive German vehicles at a price that isn't ridiculous, but that isn't the case so it has to be a factor when judging vehicles in the same category. Realistically, the best car is the car you own/can afford to drive. There's no clear cut winner because each person has different taste, needs, budget, and uses for their car.

It should be noted that the website you're on is the "Genesis Owners" forum. You're obviously going to find a lot of Genesis owners who take pride in the Genesis model they own. It's inevitable that it will be talked up. I'm sure every BMW, MB, and Audi forum has similar situations. Each person will have their own opinion

GenericUsername

Registered Member
Toronto, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have nothing against taking pride in your vehicle, because I certainly do that myself. However, when I see post after post about "beating" stock German cars in a modified G70, I have to roll my eyes. Not to mention, I personally don't think this is something that should be encouraged at all on a leased car. Maybe some of you have different moral compasses, and to each their own, but Beefer modified his car in a way that would not be detectable by the dealership and the next potential owner and goes around drag racing it, which will undoubtedly affect its longevity. Meanwhile, you just know this thing will be marketed as a "unbelievably clean LOW MILEAGE G70 for sale!!" in a few years. Sorry, but I think that's deceitful.

mikewithag70

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have nothing against taking pride in your vehicle, because I certainly do that myself. However, when I see post after post about "beating" stock German cars in a modified G70, I have to roll my eyes. Not to mention, I personally don't think this is something that should be encouraged at all on a leased car. Maybe some of you have different moral compasses, and to each their own, but Beefer modified his car in a way that would not be detectable by the dealership and the next potential owner and goes around drag racing it, which will undoubtedly affect its longevity. Meanwhile, you just know this thing will be marketed as a "unbelievably clean LOW MILEAGE G70 for sale!!" in a few years. Sorry, but I think that's deceitful.
I am leasing my car...and it is none of your (or anyone's) business what I do with it. I am paying to use it...and I plan on fully tuning it. Might even put your username on my plate. So please preach elsewhere as it seems like there are a lot of people tuning their cars on here (that are leased). From what I can tell anyway...still catching up.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think what the focus is on is that it is possible to achieve numbers similar to (insert whatever car here) through the G70 platform, but I see your point. I definitely wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his lease return, but I'm not going to go talking about moral compasses as its none of my business what people do with their cars. Theoretically the dealer should be doing a proper inspection before selling the vehicle and I think CPO cars usually come with a warranty

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Fanboyism is the reason German cars are priced so far over something like the G70 lmao. To each their own. Obviously most people would love to drive German vehicles at a price that isn't ridiculous, but that isn't the case so it has to be a factor when judging vehicles in the same category. Realistically, the best car is the car you own/can afford to drive. There's no clear cut winner because each person has different taste, needs, budget, and uses for their car.
Exactly correct. If you sold the G90 for half the price there are some that would not buy it because it does not have the right logo. I don't fault the other brands because people are willing to pay the price and are happy. I've had experience with them and think they are a poor value. Like many other items, we all have different perceptions. Life would be boring if we all drove the same car for the same reason

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
When you buy a performance car of any sort you can figure is was driven hard, it was built for it. Sure, there are some Mustangs that never went over 3500 RPM and 70 mph, but most have seen more.

I'm fortunate to be able to buy new and one reason is I don't trust any used cars to be as advertised. Not that a used car dealer would be deceitful.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
He's not beating up his car. He barely drives it. The TCU and ECU on the G70 is so restrictive that it shuts you down even with the JB4 when it detects something is off!

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

GenericUsername

Registered Member
Toronto, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why does it matter that he is leasing his car? What if he bought it outright, modded it, drove it for a few years, removed the mods, and traded it in to a dealer? Would that be any less deceitful? If your answer is yes, why? If your answer is no, then I think an enthusiast not being able to enjoy their car because they are worried about what the next owner will think is a really sad way to live. Also, there is really no evidence that a modified car will be any less reliable in the long term.
Obviously if it was not leased, he would be selling it himself, and presumably telling any potential buyers about things like mods. Go back in this thread and you'll see that to him, and others who got the JB4, it was a priority that it could be removed easily and is undetectable specifically to keep it hidden from the dealer (because it is likely against the car's warranty) and by extension, future owners of the car. If you want to mod your car, nobody's stopping you, but you should accept the consequences of a void warranty, and telling future buyers (if you're selling it yourself). Anyways, this is just my opinion. I think it's deceitful. We clearly disagree, so let's just leave it at that.

mikewithag70

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Obviously if it was not leased, he would be selling it himself, and presumably telling any potential buyers about things like mods. Go back in this thread and you'll see that to him, and others who got the JB4, it was a priority that it could be removed easily and is undetectable specifically to keep it hidden from the dealer (because it is likely against the car's warranty) and by extension, future owners of the car. If you want to mod your car, nobody's stopping you, but you should accept the consequences of a void warranty, and telling future buyers (if you're selling it yourself). Anyways, this is just my opinion. I think it's deceitful. We clearly disagree, so let's just leave it at that.
If the car was leased or purchased...the way the car was driven would be a wash...nobody admits to mods or rough driving. So your theory fails there. Not revealing mods is purely for the sake of dealer’s not voiding the warranty...makes sense.

As stated...current technology in piggyback mods and ECU mods prevents the car to self destruct.

Mod or not...enthusiasts will drive it hard...good times.

It’s a car...a fast car...enjoy it...enough said.

NOBODY ever admits how hard a car is driven.

Do you have a bad experience or something?!?

Give it a rest and let folks enjoy their hard earned rides...leased or otherwise.

I just want to add that folks that mod their cars...actually take care of them more. It’s a “baby” sort of mentality. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

mikewithag70

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You avoided my question. If he owns the car and then trades it into the dealer on a new purchase, is that deceitful?

I can make a very convincing argument that the way a person drives and how well they maintain a car has a WAY bigger effect on the longevity of the car than the simple fact of it being modded or not. A bone stock car leased for a teenager who rides the clutch, bangs every gear, redlines every shift, and hits every pothole is going to experience a major failure far sooner than an adult driven slightly modded car. So should the teenager's parents disclose how the car was treated to the dealer at the end of the lease? If they don't are they being deceitful? I think this is a very slippery slope.

Lastly, I would bet you any amount of money you care to wager that even if a person told a dealership at the end of their lease that the car had been modded, the dealer would not give two shits as long as the car was clean and undamaged, and would have no problem selling it as CPO without providing any further info to a future buyer. So now who is being deceitful? Anyway, hello and welcome to the game of used cars.
Yeah mon

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The reason people don't want the dealer (or insurance companies) seeing a JB4 is because they will do everything in their power to wiggle out of paying for things. Like others said, the JB4 likely has less impact than driving style does - especially since he isn't running the most extreme maps. Nonetheless, these companies will use the JB4 (or other piggyback tune) as an excuse to void your warranty or claim.

PS: The reason I said I wouldn't want his car is largely based in the fact that I want to own new cars considering the length of time I (plan to) keep my vehicles. Wouldn't want anyone's car.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, this thread went awry lol. Anyway, from the original post; I live in Northern MD and drove 2.5 hours south to find my SI RWD 3.3T Sport in Alexandria. I could not find a RWD Sport that wasnt a demo anywhere near me. Alexandra was the only one I could find. I dont like all wheel drive and dont need it since it is my fair weather car.

They were great and even offered to pick me up at home and take me to pick up the car because I didnt want them to drive it to me after I made the trip to buy it.

They were the first certified Genesis dealership in the US, store serial #1. No pressure, easy haggle, and ended up accepting my offer after a price match to another dealership who marked down a demo they were selling. $50,900 MSRP but picked it up for $45,045 with 15 miles plus my 15 mile test drive. Lol

I nearly ordered a 2019 330i M Sport because it was nearly impossible to find a RWD version within 100 miles. Luckily I didnt because I discovered the G70. In my opinion, the G70 looks better and has a nicer interior. The Bimmer seemed basic and plasticky in comparison.

Additionally, I picked up a 3.3T for 10k less than a 2.0T 330i. The BMW badge isnt worth tens of thousands more. Add in the warranty, maintenance costs, and reliability, and the G70 is a far better value. Lastly, BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes are as common as Hondas around here and I have yet to see another G70 on the road. Folks break their necks looking at it, trying to figure out what it is. ;-)

It's just a great car for a great value and has the accolades to back it. In a few years, the Genesis brand will be as respected/known as Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura and probably as expensive. So, glad I got in early in their fledgling stage. I just wish the stand alone dealer network was more established. Some of the local dealerships i visited still treat these cars like they're Sonatas.

Cheers