2015 Genesis Tech Package - Front turn signal bulb blown - LED Replacement?

TxGenesis01

Getting familiar with the group...
I bought these today but had no luck. They hyperflashed.
Perhaps defective? They do have can bus buit in. When I installed mine, they hyperflashed for the first couple of seconds and then flashed normally.

Han22735

Hasn't posted much yet...
Perhaps defective? They do have can bus buit in. When I installed mine, they hyperflashed for the first couple of seconds and then flashed normally.
Ok I'll try again tonight when I get home. I only briefly turned on the turn signal and noticed the hyperflash. I'll let it go a bit longer tonight. At least the drivers side is easy to access.

Han22735

Ok tried again just now and yes it hyper flashed for like 5 seconds then worked fine. So I'm guessing it will be fine after that initial turn on...Thanks again.

TxGenesis01

Ok tried again just now and yes it hyper flashed for like 5 seconds then worked fine. So I'm guessing it will be fine after that initial turn on...Thanks again.
Glad to hear they are working. One of the first mods I did was to install vleds v3 triton switchback (amber/white). Those were bright! However, they never worked correctly since they randomly switched to amber. They now have a new version (v6) but it's not worth the money (almost $200 after you include all the things you need). The Pilot leds ($20) from Pepboys, does the trick.

sidewinder1

Tampa, FL
i got tired of replacing the bulbs and bought the amber led ones from op on sale for $15. the packaging specifically says NOT to use for DRL purposes. i'm wondering why they would exclude DRL use. maybe they are not designed to be constantly on? I've heard of LED bulbs burning out under continuous use. If i can get a year out of them it would be fine but if they burn out in a couple months it not worth it.

McSam

Since there are a number of possibilities for why these bulbs are failing, does someone have hunch about my particular case: 2015 3.8 ultimate RH front turn signal burned out last week for the first time in close to 3 years. Put in 2 new Sylvania 2357a bulbs. LH bulb OK, but RH bulb stopped working again after 2 days!
Thank you for your help.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Since there are a number of possibilities for why these bulbs are failing, does someone have hunch about my particular case: 2015 3.8 ultimate RH front turn signal burned out last week for the first time in close to 3 years. Put in 2 new Sylvania 2357a bulbs. LH bulb OK, but RH bulb stopped working again after 2 days!
Thank you for your help.
Could have been a bad bulb but given how these burn out, can't really say. I'd check the socket to be sure you are getting a proper contact.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thank you for your help.
If you touched the new bulb with your bare hands, then you could have put oil from you body on the new bulb glass which could have caused it to burn out prematurely. You may also make a lot more right hand turns which stressed the right bulb more than the left hence why it fails first.

McSam

If you touched the new bulb with your bare hands, then you could have put oil from you body on the new bulb glass which could have caused it to burn out prematurely.
I thought this issue only applies to halogen bulbs. Besides, we're talking about 2 days, not 2 months.

You may also make a lot more right hand turns which stressed the right bulb more than the left hence why it fails first.
That could very well explain the original burnout, but not the second one after 2 days.
Thanks.

TxGenesis01

A quick search of 1157 vs 2357 got me the below...

"The 2357 is the same as the 1157 when using the parking lights or run lights but much brighter when using the brake or stop light filament of thebulb. On a 1157 bulb the brake light filament last about 1500 hours and the much brighter 2357 brake light filament will last only about 120 hours"

McSam

Thank you for your help.
When I went to replace this two-day burnt out bulb the answer was clear -- or rather milky and unclear ;) It turned out to be a new defective bulb. Pictured below are a new good Sylvania 2357a, the original 3-year old Hyundai burnt-out bulb, and the new bad Sylvania bulb.
the good the bad & the ugly bulbs.jpg

JoshStark

Genesis Model Type
Same problem. Third time to replace DRL/turn signal bulbs. Just had to replace a front headlight too. My 2015 Genesis is only 30 months old. Definitely not the quality electrical system/components as my previous two Genesis or my Equus. Disappointing for sure. Back to the auto supply for more 2357 bulbs!

Han22735

I switched to the LED ones mentioned above and have had 0 problems. When I first replaced them with regular 2357 bulbs it burnt out on day 2. Of course it was always the passenger side one that's more work to get to.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
Well have had my 2015 3.8 for about a week. Just noticed today that the right side amber drl is much dimmer than the driver's side - drl running and blinking. So just found this thread. I guess I'll be trying the pepboys LEDs first if I have to take time to switch them out. What a PIA!
I too would like to switch out the DRL to the white led strips in the headlights. Any pics or detailed thread about this?
edit: ok - found the drl thread

Last edited:

djohnk

Oklahoma
From my observation on my 2015 Genesis Sedan w/HID headlights, the 2357A DRL/Turn Signal bulbs are being pulsed on-off by the Turn Signal circuit, not a voltage increase-decrease as described earlier. This is why an LED lamp has worked for some. There is still a problem with most LEDs not pulling enough current to keep the car's lamp out circuitry from causing the lamp to hyperflash when the Turn Signal is applied, but some LED replacements out there might draw enough current for this to work normally. Also, we know that some cars came from the factory with the polarity reversed in one or both DRL/Turn Signal sockets. The LEDs are wired such that the "Sleeve" is the bulb is ground, and the base contacts at the bottom of the bulb are the Positive contacts. LEDs won't work if the polarity is reversed.

I am going to experiment with the Sylvania ZEVO 2057A/2357A LED bulb to see if it hyperflashes. The listed electrical wattage for each LED in the dual filament replacement is 1.5W / 0.4 W @ 12.8Volts. I will see if this is enough to let the car's circuitry know that the bulb is not out. I may even bridge the positive contacts on the bulb so both LED segments illuminate at once, which would raise the wattage to 1.9W. That is still less than 150mA of current, but it is worth a try.
Great Idea bridging the contacts, I think I will try that!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.