2015 Genesis Tech Package - Front turn signal bulb blown - LED Replacement?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Teaser till I get good video

View attachment 18299
Looks good. Very bright. Seems to be at the least twice as bright as the amber 2357 bulbs I am using. I personally will not spend $100 for DRL light bulbs, but those bulbs you have do seem like they are worth the money for anyone that will spend that kind of money for DRL bulbs.

Since they are actually headlight/fog-light replacement LED bulbs they should last a long time being used as DRL. I would use LED bulbs light like those you have for replacing non-HID headlights bulbs. Not the amber ones, but bright white bulbs. The amber bulbs you have would make great fog-lights.:)

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

ruikenshin

Genesis Model Type
NO.

There is not a single resistor on the market designed to be run as a DRL. They ALL will pose a serious fire hazard no matter how much metal you mount them on.
Bro... no disrespect but I know for a fact that as long as the load resistors are away from anything flammable they'll be ok... I had some on my sonata and and they stayed on.... guess what no fire as all...

New video by Lamont Mines switchback video

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Late to the discussion so I have not read every post, but with regard to fire risk mitigation there are a variety of ways to mitigate reliability and risk with simple changes to design/utilization. Example, you need 40 watts of dissipation at 1 ohm. You buy a 1 ohm resistor rated at 40 watts, it will be very hot and not live a terribly long time. Solution: source 2 @ 40 watt 0.5 ohm resistors, connect them in series, or 2@ 2 Ohm 40 watt and wire them in parallel. Circuit will still experience the same current to the source (car battery) and load (light), but the wattage capacity has doubled, and this will greatly increase lifespan and pretty much eliminates excess heat.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
can you post a video of the turn signals working without the headlights on?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Mine are not switchback, however they have a switchback variant. Somebody here said switchback style needed a capacitor to keep from nuisance flashing.
So why do the signal/DRL LED looks bright white with the headlights on in one video and only amber as DRL/signal in another video? Do the color change depending on day or night?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
The whiteness you see is reflection from the parking lights/headlights. The turn signal/DRL is not on. There's just nothing yellow in the reflector to color the light, since the LED is black/clear when off.

View attachment 18348
So only a reflection.:(
I thought that it would be very cool for the lights to change color depending on the headlight mode.
Very cool looking light setup regardless.

Mikeyd

Genesis Model Type
I replaced the DRL 1157 bulbs with simple LED's - great change....easy....needed to add resistors to eliminate rapid signal flashing. One important note, LED's are sensitive to polarity. One of my turn signal/DRL lights was wired in reverse polarity and I had to correct it. My wife also has a 2015 Genesis and both her lights are wired backwards. Easy fix and not significant if you're using an incandescent bulb, but it's still wrong and must be fixed if you want to use LEDs. I didn't notice this issue when I bought switchback LEDs and assumed that they just didn't work. I ended up returning them and only later saw a thread from another owner who noted the polarity error from Hyundai. Once fixed, everything worked well.
Hi. Did you use Grandview 1157 Bay15D 5730 20 SMD Amber/White Switchback Turn Signal LED Light Bulbs 3.8W 12V LED Super Bright 600 Lumens?

sidewinder1

Getting familiar with the group...
Tampa, FL
Genesis Model Type
There have been numerous updates to this project listed in other threads. Do NOT install load resistors as they are not intended for always-on daytime running lights. they will get dangerously hot.

the solution is to find LED bulbs that draw enough wattage to be sensed by the car's blinker relay, yet are durable enough to be used as running lights. These have worked for me so far:

CK Series LED Exterior Light-1157 Amber

any pics of this bulb in action? while the $130 bulbs look nice $20 sounds much more reasonable.

reviews

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusLED-Extremely-Chipset-Projector-Brightness/dp/B0105LW4CK?th=1

Last edited:

kibber

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Installed Huizen 1157 non-switchback LEDs yesterday that have the CANBus chip so they don't hyperflash even without load resistors. They're a bit brighter than the stock bulbs (see attached photo, LED on the passenger side), but only use 5W so should not overheat, or so I hope at least. Before that I tried some 1157 LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs, also with CANBus, those didn't hyperflash either, but were a bit dimmer than stock, so I decided to swap them.

Interestingly, Amazon does not list the 1157 Huizen any more, only 1156 (which would not work). Not sure if it's discontinued or they're going to restock.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.