TUTORIAL: 2015 Genesis trunklid KDM "Wings" Emblem installation

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't know what the temperature is where you're at, but with my car parked in the sun and the temp in the mid 80's, the GENESIS letters fell off just by pushing on them. I am going to have to polish the area because of ghosting where the letters where.
Wow. Central Ohio, hot summers but not Africa hot like Florida. I thought about the ghosting too after removing the big H. I don't really see that anymore unless I really look. It helps to have a thin film of dirt to hide it:sneaky:

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Wow. Central Ohio, hot summers but not Africa hot like Florida. I thought about the ghosting too after removing the big H. I don't really see that anymore unless I really look. It helps to have a thin film of dirt to hide it:sneaky:
I have a black Genesis and it shows all the dirt! Just a small bit of polish made the ghosting letters go away. At first I used way too much! I tried to alternate up and down & side to side to avoid swirl marks and it worked very well. I removed the H ghost and the GENESIS ghost and put G80 on the trunk. I'm waiting on the wing and I'll post a pic.

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have a black Genesis and it shows all the dirt! Just a small bit of polish made the ghosting letters go away. At first I used way too much! I tried to alternate up and down & side to side to avoid swirl marks and it worked very well. I removed the H ghost and the GENESIS ghost and put G80 on the trunk. I'm waiting on the wing and I'll post a pic.
Nice. You’ll love the wing over the H. I’m not ashamed to tell anyone it’s a Hyundai, I just don’t like it.
Get one with tabs removed.

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
The first rain we've had in 46 days knocked some of the dirt of the car so I could show the final results. I was going to wash it but this rain was in the forecast. I'm happy with the results, thanks for the guide! My state has a black license plate that I'll buy as soon as the paperwork gets transferred, I also bought a chrome Genesis plate frame so I'm not advertising for a Chrysler dealership. 0820181705.jpg

REMIX

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
I did mine - took off all the badges, including the "5.0" badge and just have the wings on the back. Was easy and I lined it up visually. $9 shipped via Amazon Prime.

Genesis Model Type
I dint read all ways of remove and replace emblems (as I am a repair, restore, refinish faux finisher) of people damage on hard substrates ...

So I had emblem off in a bout a minute, gunk off in a couple more, leveled with tape measure (taped on) wah la done deal... Tools "artist painter spatula flex ridged, wind resistant plumber torch... looks like bar-b-que lighter in plumbing department and lacquer thinner...

Carefully heat spatula with torch and slowly under slice from bottom side and outer edges of emblem (spatula knife moves like cutting through butter with a hot knife (reheat knife when movement slows)… Then lift/pry from bottom and outer edges with fingers or soft plastic knife, even wood wedge will work allow "SLOW RELEASE ACTION now check to see what mastic will show when applying new emblem remove with soft cloth soaked with lacquer thinner (apply an hold on adhesive as it will soften and then you can almost peal it off and rub remaining old adhesive gum away... (ya really don't need get it all off!, trust me on that) last thing apply new emblem with even pressure and hold about thirty seconds.... (break those useless things off when doing deck lid)...

Last edited:

Gebop

Genesis Model Type
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6799633/2015-2016 Genesis Emblem Mounting Location.pdf

I know the hardest part of mounting this badge is getting it properly located. So here are some actual design based data to help you in precisely locating the badge relative to the original intended location in Korea Domestic version. This will allow the curvature of the badge to properly match the curvature of the trunk surface and therefore prevent dust and moisture to get trapped around the edges due to large gaps created by the mismatch. Please click on the PDF file link above to download the detailed info. I hope this is helpful

FNG here... First mod is going to be wing badge swap. I'm ready to do installation and wanted to reference your PDF but am getting 404 error code. Is the link bad? Can you fix/repost or maybe send me good link? TIA.

Does anyone have location measurements they can share? It does appear the trick is to find the place where the curve of the trunk allows the badge to fit flush on all edges, but a measurement could be handy to reference.

Gebop

Genesis Model Type
Decided to push on with wing badge swap today. The glue was super hard and wasn’t as easily removed as videos I had watched of the process. It did finally yield with Goo Gone and some elbow grease. Used string taped corner-to-corner to act as guidelines for final placement.

Ended up debaging the Genesis, 3.8 and HTRAC emblems while I was at. Genesis/Genesis duplication doesn't work for me and I have zero interest in adding G80 badging to a car that isn’t a G80. Really like the clean minimalist look - though a small bit of ghosting from the HTRAC emblem remains to be tackled later.

Weighted the ‘15/‘16 style wings vs. Genesis G80 chrome revision and simply perfer the matte to the chrome as to my eye the chrome wings look too plastachrome for my taste and I’m happy matching the hood wing style, which are also found on steering wheel, center wheel covers, infotainment splash screen and key fob. 83949733-325B-42DF-8FFF-75A223B250DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Genesis Model Type
Nice. You’ll love the wing over the H. I’m not ashamed to tell anyone it’s a Hyundai, I just don’t like it.
Get one with tabs removed.
Where do you get one with the tabs removed. I got one but it came with the tabs, didn't know there was an option to get without?

Genesis Model Type

okcguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Removing the tabs is super easy with a pair of pointed snips or cutters. Simply cut it flush with the adhesive and then cut the "wall" (since they're hollow) in an almost spiral manner to get it below the adhesive tape. This will make sure there's no high spots that would prevent the adhesive from sticking to the paint.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.