• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TUTORIAL: 2015 Genesis trunklid KDM "Wings" Emblem installation

geoffc

Hasn't posted much yet...
Does the G80 Wing tabs line up with the H holes?
Thanks
Doesn't look like it, KDM G80 badges still have wide pins.

Anyone try the rear emblem from G90?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Trunk-Lid-Emblem-TailGate-Wing-Rear-Emblem-1pcs-for-2017-GENESIS-G90/272563704476?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41451&meid=6b80cd3192f3493e8279276634862838&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=282304955779&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

looks like pins might line up, it's lot narrower than G80/2015 3.8 KDM badges.

Scottish Guy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Crieff, Scotland, UK
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If you can't get your hands on a heat source you can use soapy water as a glue softener then get to work on the Hyundai badge with
the dental floss.

I bought 3 badges [ just in case ] one on the trunk lid, one on the engine cover.

I've got a spare trunk lid one.

Interior or exterior ?

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
I replaced both front and rear Genesis wing badges off my 2015 Genesis 5.0 with the 'newer' nicer winged emblems. The newer versions were slightly wider than the existing badges. I opted to not use a heat gun nor hair dryer but found I could ease off both badges using fishing line and patience. A GooGone-soaked sponge did most of the work in removing the residue adhesive off the car's finish. The entire process took considerably longer than expected but I'm pleased with the results. :)
old_wings.jpg
Front_wings.jpg
Rear_wings.jpg

tuckerdog1

Been here awhile...
TEXAS
If you can't get your hands on a heat source you can use soapy water as a glue softener then get to work on the Hyundai badge with
the dental floss.

I bought 3 badges [ just in case ] one on the trunk lid, one on the engine cover.

I've got a spare trunk lid one.

Interior or exterior ?
Can you post a pic of the engine cover replacement?

Thanks

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Dayton, OH
Genesis Model Type
Didn't use the tutorial but used almost the same steps as I have done this before with previous cars/friend's cars. Very good write-up, BTW. I use a two inch level that I placed on both sides of the "wing" to get both sides level. The 3M adhesive was more than sufficient. Turned out great!

G1.jpg

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
i believe the old badges are held on not just by adhesive but also a peg and clip which will need to be disconnected or cut
The pegs are for alignment, the H emblem had different position for the pegs so you need to remove the pegs of wing emblem other wise it wont fit. Easiest way to remove the pegs is using a set of pillars and grab the peg and rock it back and forward it breaks off clean, don't need a cutting wheel.

Milano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks so much for the DIY. Great write up.

Has anyone bought these badges in black chrome? Seen a couple on eBay claiming to be such, but not sure about fitment and who to trust?

My car is white.. And I thought it'd be nice to continue the black and white theme.. although a black chrome front emblem is no place to be seen. Maybe I'll just use the G80 stuff...

II Kings 9:20

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
@Motegi Great write up. I did mine the first week i got my 2015 about a month ago. The wings are available on ebay now with the tabs already removed (OEM Hyundai $11.25 free shipping).

I used a hair dryer only, heat guns around paint scare me.

Tried dental floss which kept breaking, fishing line worked great.

FWIW, I always block my license plate for pics that will be viewed around the world. Easy to do with any iphone or android edit feature.

Milano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I used a very grippy good pair of needlenose. I used a hot towel and held it on the flying H. With the needle-nose I was able to pull the flying H off in pieces. No scratches, no damage. The Hyundai logo is hollow, so if you get a very good grip on the tip of a needle-nose it will compress.. and then you can just pull. Don't try it without good eyes and a steady hand, however.

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
I took my emblem off by sliding old credit cards under the "H". The car was in the sun and I used a hair dryer to add a bit more heat. The glue residue was hard and I didn't want to scratch the paint, so I soaked a folded paper towel and placed it over the area with the trunk open which made it just about horizontal. that softened it up and I was able to wipe it clean.

The lower left "GENESIS" name would be redundant with the wing saying the same thing so I removed that. The letters fell off because the car was sitting in direct sunlight and it was 90 degrees out. I bought the letters "G80" and will replace it but I need to do a bit of polishing because there is ghosting where the letters were. 0812181719.jpg

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
It’s a Gen2 sedan, right? Still a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 or 5.0. Rebadging the car as a G80 doesn’t really make it so.
True, but who's to know? There's only minor changes from the 16 to the 17. Changing the GENESIS name to G80 isn't that much different than changing the Hyundai H with the wing emblem.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
True, but who's to know? There's only minor changes from the 16 to the 17. Changing the GENESIS name to G80 isn't that much different than changing the Hyundai H with the wing emblem.
True, but it would look sleeker with nothing. My generation took everything off, filled holes and painted. Painting was easier back then too.

II Kings 9:20

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I took my emblem off by sliding old credit cards under the "H". The car was in the sun and I used a hair dryer to add a bit more heat. The glue residue was hard and I didn't want to scratch the paint, so I soaked a folded paper towel and placed it over the area with the trunk open which made it just about horizontal. that softened it up and I was able to wipe it clean.

The lower left "GENESIS" name would be redundant with the wing saying the same thing so I removed that. The letters fell off because the car was sitting in direct sunlight and it was 90 degrees out. I bought the letters "G80" and will replace it but I need to do a bit of polishing because there is ghosting where the letters were. View attachment 14976
I thought about adding G80 also but decided not to because I didn't want to put the elbow grease into it and who's to know that it's not a Gen Gen.

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
True, but it would look sleeker with nothing. My generation took everything off, filled holes and painted. Painting was easier back then too.
We might be from the same generation. I have a Mustang convertible and all of the badges are gone and holes filled except 5.0 on the sides. It had a ford oval on the front and I had a plastic shop make a red oval that matched the paint and put the mustang horse running in the center.

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
I thought about adding G80 also but decided not to because I didn't want to put the elbow grease into it and who's to know that it's not a Gen Gen.
I don't know what the temperature is where you're at, but with my car parked in the sun and the temp in the mid 80's, the GENESIS letters fell off just by pushing on them. I am going to have to polish the area because of ghosting where the letters where.