TUTORIAL: 2015 Genesis trunklid KDM "Wings" Emblem installation

FlySwatter

Been here awhile...
Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hey, I look just like that guy above me! Oh yeah, because I'm a moron, and created two accounts when I got my second Genesis recently. Gee, no wonder I couldn't create an account with my preferred screen name :unsure:

Anyway, and a related thread note, My "new" 2016 Genesis came with the wings pre-installed. I didn't even notice it until after I paid for it. I wonder is the prior (lease) owner did it, or if it's part of the CPO inspection/clean-up process to reinforce the Genesis brand. In any case, I'm pleased to say the lease. I'm even more happy that the dealer didn't even put a dealer badge or decal on the rear.

rshack

Genesis Model Type
Decided to push on with wing badge swap today. The glue was super hard and wasn’t as easily removed as videos I had watched of the process. It did finally yield with Goo Gone and some elbow grease. Used string taped corner-to-corner to act as guidelines for final placement.

Ended up debaging the Genesis, 3.8 and HTRAC emblems while I was at. Genesis/Genesis duplication doesn't work for me and I have zero interest in adding G80 badging to a car that isn’t a G80. Really like the clean minimalist look - though a small bit of ghosting from the HTRAC emblem remains to be tackled later.

Weighted the ‘15/‘16 style wings vs. Genesis G80 chrome revision and simply perfer the matte to the chrome as to my eye the chrome wings look too plastachrome for my taste and I’m happy matching the hood wing style, which are also found on steering wheel, center wheel covers, infotainment splash screen and key fob.View attachment 16644
Just to clarify... re: the other 2 badges you removed without replacing them... were they held on just by adhesive (with no holes in the metal for tabs)?

wetbread

Genesis Model Type
Re-badged my trunk over the weekend following the tutorial here, went smoothly and took 40 minutes start to finish. Flossing through the original adhesive with fishing line took longer than I anticipated. I spaced mine 3.25" above the lid line at the outer wing tip for the badge to sit flush

Attachments

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
Mine came in today so I'll do this tonight.

Funny story. My wife had a 2015 that came with the wings already on it. Someone wrecked it for her. So while we were shopping around online she was quick to point out she didn't want certain cars. She said they had an "H" on the back of them. I laughed. Then explained to her how things work. Ironically her next one had the wings already installed, too.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
Got my wings on tonight. Boy, it sucks doing things like this when you're an OCD perfectionist about certain things (like decals and badges). Took me way longer than 30 minutes to get it just right. But it's all done now. Much better. Now I can actually pass the big boy cars and not be embarrassed. ;)