2015/2016 Generation Genesis "Dislikes"

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
eh, I like my options lol.
Hey, I like options too so I get your point.:) It just funny because of how easy accessible the trunk button is located when the trunk is open. It would take more work to use the key fob in my opinion which is why I think it is funny. However, like you said it would nice to have a choice on how we close the power trunk as well.:)

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Hey, I like options too so I get your point.:) It just funny because of how easy accessible the trunk button is located when the trunk is open. It would take more work to use the key fob in my opinion which is why I think it is funny. However, like you said it would nice to have a choice on how we close the power trunk as well.:)
Can't remember what prompted me to use the fob to close the trunk but was like wow that didn't actually work.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Can't remember what prompted me to use the fob to close the trunk but was like wow that didn't actually work.
Same here. A couple of times I was loading the trunk and came back in the house and decided nothing else was going in it. Not a big deal, but I was maybe 20 feet away and could not close it. Maybe twice in 2 1/2 years. If at the car, easier to just push the button. Took longer to type this than to walk out and push the button so now my time lost is getting worse.

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
Actually appreciate the choice of closing the trunk aaand locking the doors at the same time.

Great White

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Apologies ahead of time is this not the thread for this, however, being new and searching for over a half-hour, this one seemed correct.

Things I dislike on my “new” 2015 Ultimate:

*No USB plugs for the back seat

*the armrest that folds down does not open for storage

*lack of actual temperature control and vent selection

*the whole LED driving-light thing I missed; and an amber driving light is like my Mother’s 2006 DTS

*the rear shade is motorized but the door shades are not????

*i am unsure WTH kind of leather or fake leather or whatever it is, but I’ve been trying to clean and preserve this car fir days to no avail

*if you walk near the car and it senses you, the auto open in the trunk no longer works

*no HVAC controls on steering wheel

*the back of the front seats look like they are out of an Elantra

*the radio seems to only display what your listening to in 6-point type

I’m sure there is more I have forgotten, however, and it may not sound that way, I am very happy with my purchase. I already purchased the cool black chrome valve stem caps and door jam things from here!

Best,

SJ

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Apologies ahead of time is this not the thread for this, however, being new and searching for over a half-hour, this one seemed correct.

*the whole LED driving-light thing I missed; and an amber driving light is like my Mother’s 2006 DTS

*i am unsure WTH kind of leather or fake leather or whatever it is, but I’ve been trying to clean and preserve this car fir days to no avail

*if you walk near the car and it senses you, the auto open in the trunk no longer works

I’m sure there is more I have forgotten, however, and it may not sound that way, I am very happy with my purchase. I already purchased the cool black chrome valve stem caps and door jam things from here!

Best,

SJ
I'm not sure what you mean by actual temperature control. Are you talking about the back seat? The back is just turning the wheel. You can choose the vents in the front.

I never had a car with HVAC controls on the steering wheel. I set the climate control to 72 and I have not touched it since. My wife has turned her side up a couple of times though.

Sure, the rear shade is electric. It would be awkward to reach around to pull it up, but not a big deal for the back passenger to lift the shade. Would you be willing to add $200 to $300 for that feature?

The Smart Trunk is an option that has to be selected in the setup. Check to be sure it is selected. Doors have to be locked for it to work also.

Evidently you have back seat passengers more frequently than I do so the other factors like USB are not missed in my case. .

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City

Best,

SJ
Why'd you buy the car? If I had that many gripes about it, I wouldn't have spent anywhere near the ballpark you did. Contradicts the whole reason you have the car...

Last edited:

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
Agreed. And only a single in the front (rectified in newer models). Rear passengers have to share outputs extending from the front (12v usb converters).
My passengers never have had need for storage so I can’t say I miss this feature.
There is an adjustable dial to increase/decrease temps. G90 I believe has the adjustments you seek
G90 has them.
Not sure what issues you are having but most quality leather conditioner/cleaner products seem to work well in the leather.
there has been a number of reports where the tension weakens in the trunk struts over time and the trunk unlocks but fails to open fully.
not something I’d miss
i never studied the back of the front seats nor ever been in an Elantra so I can’t comment
Viewed from the back seat? Quite legible from the front.
it may not sound that way, I am very happy with my purchase.
Curious to read about a car you DIDNT like! :LOL:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type

Best,

SJ
I also hate that my car does not have a rear 12v/USB port and that my rear armrest does have a storage compartment. I could use a rear armrest storage bin for my DVD headrest headphones and remote. However, if I did not have headrest DVD players then I guess rear storage would not be an important issue to me.

Genesis Model Type
First off, I love the car and plan on buying one once it becomes more of a buyer's market. I could write more than most would want to read on what I liked. Having said that, there were a few small things that I thought could have been better.

1. Rear view visibility. The sight lines out the back were very limited.

2. Hood rigidity near the windshield. I drove a black 3.8 Tech AWD on a sunny day and the reflection off the flapping trailing edge of the hood got really annoying. I'm a tall guy (6'5") so maybe it is below the view of most drivers, but it was annoying to me. Afterward, I popped the hood to take a look. The reinforcing ribs on the inside of most hoods (that provide rigidity) were only present in the front corners. As a result, the rest of it is considerably floppy. I plan to test drive another color as I expect Black on a sunny day was the worst case scenario.

3. Throttle response*. The asterisk is because my drive was limited and I only squashed the gas a few times, but when I did, it seemed like there was a deliberate delay before the acceleration came on. The acceleration seemed fine, though. Maybe this is something that improves or goes away as the computer learns my driving style? Hope so...

4. Not so much a dislike as a concern. The under body panels are not made of typical plastic. Instead, they look like some sort of pressed non-woven material. I'm guessing it is for sound dampening and I'm sure it was tested, but the materials engineer in me isn't buying the long-term durability.
The genesis is tuned toward comfort more than anything. for me the acceleration is adequate especially in sport mode. I do agree there is a lag but its built upon a different philosophy. My wife currently drives a 540i and it definitely has better acceleration and throttle response. However I do not think any german car rivals the g80 in terms of comfort.

kocyk123

Hasn't posted much yet...
Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
I agree. I rented 3 different 5 series within the last year (all were 520D (European) and brand new models) and they were great cars but Genesis feels much more comfortable and isolated from the outside. However, suspension wise, I like BMW better but again, we are talking German vs. Korean.

idlemind

Texas
Genesis Model Type
The DRL burning out so quickly. Big gripe.
I wish the trunk release was in the glove box. Right now if you lock something away in the trunk and someone breaks in the car, they have easy access to the trunk. If the button was in the glove box instead, at least you would have the option to lock the glove box.
Wish the sub on the rear deck had just a little more oomph. Sometimes I want the music to massage the back just a lil bit. :)
Last but not least, free map updates on all models, or at least an option to buy lifetime updates. For what they charge I can purchase a GPS with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts.

Great White

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The DRL burning out so quickly. Big gripe.
I wish the trunk release was in the glove box. Right now if you lock something away in the trunk and someone breaks in the car, they have easy access to the trunk. If the button was in the glove box instead, at least you would have the option to lock the glove box.
Wish the sub on the rear deck had just a little more oomph. Sometimes I want the music to massage the back just a lil bit. :)
Last but not least, free map updates on all models, or at least an option to buy lifetime updates. For what they charge I can purchase a GPS with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts.
Super had no idea.

Me too on the sub. Being a musician and comparing to the 10” I have in my 3000GT VR-4, or even my sons 2016 Legacy, I’m disappointed.

I’m loving the rest. I am sick with unknown auto-immune and getting the seat low and long - winner.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You may have to bend over to see it, but there is a lock/unlock button for the trunk in the glove box. It is on the top.

Great White

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
What’s supposed to be in that plastic thing that opens in the middle of the trunk?

Pretty sure I have wrong net too - how hook it???

idlemind

Texas
Genesis Model Type
You may have to bend over to see it, but there is a lock/unlock button for the trunk in the glove box. It is on the top.
Thanks Ed, I haven't looked there for it. But my gripe is not that it's missing. My gripe is that the trunk release is not in the glove box, but is instead out in the open below the gas cap release.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.