2015/2016 Generation Genesis "Dislikes"

fonque

Hasn't posted much yet...
MD
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
What was the issue? I took mine in, AGAIN, this morning. A tech from Montana had to be sourced since there isn’t a Hyundai dealership within 340 miles. Result? They are replacing the camera, AGAIN.

I have a loaner. I’m keeping miles off of mine. I’m not too worried if it gets fixed. If it isn’t fixed this go ‘round, Magnuson-Moss Act it will be.
Faulty head unit, and faulty camera. Also after the radio was intalled they had to set an option code or something like that in the head unit software to stop the double lines on the reverse camera.

fonque

MD
Genesis Model Type
not troublesome, but a long wait. My car was in the dealership for 5 weeks waiting on parts.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
I've noticed a faint ticking sound coming from what appears to be the right side of the dashboard. Not constant, but when radio is off I have noticed it. Sounds almost like something is touching a spinning fan blade.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
not troublesome, but a long wait. My car was in the dealership for 5 weeks waiting on parts.
Tell them to extend your warranty a month unless you are already over on miles. That is a valid argument with HMA and I'll be doing the same. They have easily had my car for two months in the 11 months I've owned it.

Great White

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hello all. Been a while.

I think I mentioned my head unit would not hold Sirius. So, I called, and while there asked about an odd feeling in the steering wheel - like it was loose or wanted to come off. New head, new column, under warranty. They had the car a week, but, I now have a camera with two lines - one that moves with steering and one staitionary.

The more I drive this car the more I like it. In fact I am telling all my friends. Already converted a MB guy, son may be next!

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
In the rear seat , when 3 persons are sitting , the center guy is really uncomfortable. The floor is not flat on the rear , the center part of the rear seat is uncomfortable to sit , and headroom is minimum. Car is a problem when there are 5 adults .

Additionally , i cannot see very well around the car . The A pillars are a bit too thick and rear is also not very visible. I am 5'10" (not very tall) and i cannot get a very good idea of the car length and width .

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
In the rear seat , when 3 persons are sitting , the center guy is really uncomfortable. The floor is not flat on the rear , the center part of the rear seat is uncomfortable to sit , and headroom is minimum. Car is a problem when there are 5 adults .

Additionally , i cannot see very well around the car . The A pillars are a bit too thick and rear is also not very visible. I am 5'10" (not very tall) and i cannot get a very good idea of the car length and width .
Not a lot of sedans will fit five passengers "comfortably". It's advertised as a five passenger car but in the real world, it's meant for two rear passengers and the center will be down for armrests. Parking sensors will be your best friend, if equipped.

okcguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I loooove the car overall. It's extremely quiet, rides smooth, and has tons of features for the price point. However, I came from a 2011 Sonata Limited which had a Dimension sound system, which I had never heard of before. The bass on that sounded so deep (for a factory system) and made all my music sound great. When I saw the Genesis had more speakers by Lexicon with the tech package, I kinda leaned toward that when deciding on a model. Needless to say, the bass is very lacking with no extra EQ modes or adjustments besides T/M/B and surround.

Also the rear (outer) seat belt latches are fixed with zero side to side movement to accommodate passenger width. So, if you have a wide booster seat, you may need to scoot it toward the door for the buckle to go in straight. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, for a younger kid to buckle themselves if their weight centers the booster in the seat. My kid could buckle herself in about 10 seconds in the Sonata. Plan on buying a narrow booster if you have kids.

chris41

Registered Member
Cleveland
I've noticed a faint ticking sound coming from what appears to be the right side of the dashboard. Not constant, but when radio is off I have noticed it. Sounds almost like something is touching a spinning fan blade.
I think I have the same issue. Lasts for about a minute on start-up and then goes away. Almost seems like the HVAC blower fan, but I'm not quite sure.

Scottish Guy

Crieff, Scotland, UK
Genesis Model Type
The auto boot ( trunk ) open function can lead to a "NNOOooooo" moment in winter weather.

The boot will auto open [ when car is locked ] when you stand near it, this is great when you have a load of shopping bags in both hands, not good when there is a covering of snow on the boot and the
back window, yeah, you guessed it , a bucketload of snow slides into the trunk when it opens :unsure:

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
The auto boot ( trunk ) open function can lead to a "NNOOooooo" moment in winter weather.

The boot will auto open [ when car is locked ] when you stand near it, this is great when you have a load of shopping bags in both hands, not good when there is a covering of snow on the boot and the
back window, yeah, you guessed it , a bucketload of snow slides into the trunk when it opens :unsure:
You can disable this feature.

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
New member here, recently purchased a 2015 Hyundai Genesis RWD 3.8 Ultimate. Empire State Gray / Black.
Overall we Love the car except for a high pitch whine noise.

I am resurrecting an old thread from 2015 about a whining noise at light acceleration.

Noise on acceleration between 110 Kmph to 120 kmph - Hyundai Genesis 2015

I'm hearing the same whine noise as that original poster during light to moderate acceleration in the 50-80 mph range.
The whine is consistent and I can reproduce it. It only occurs at speed and light acceleration, and the pitch changes with RPM, higher RPM higher pitch.
No whine without load, at lower speeds, or at hard acceleration.

Has there been any further diagnosis and root cause identified? If so what is the diagnosis? Differential? Tranny? Intake?
Any status of the repairs?

Thanks

Ultimate 3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Is there a way to close the front vent and keep it closed? It's a hassle having to close it repeatedly every day.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I really do not like the fact that my 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 is optioned out to the max on the check list and do not have a heated steering wheel while the cheaper AWD V6 model does. Hell, even my old 2014 KIA Optima SXL had a heated steering wheel.:(

You do not know what you had until it is not available. My last car(2014 Buick Lacrosse Premium) had the heated steering wheel and OEM keyfob remote start, which reminds me that Hyundai also piss me off that it requires that I subscribe to an app to use remote start in my Genesis. Not cool at all.:(

I probably griped about these before, but the last couple weeks of winter really reminded me that I miss having remote start and a heated steering wheel especially since I usually leave work in the cold morning after my over night shift where my car have became a refrigerator.

Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
I think I have the same issue. Lasts for about a minute on start-up and then goes away. Almost seems like the HVAC blower fan, but I'm not quite sure.
I have the very same issue on the 5.0 confirmed by switching from HVAC from auto to off.

Also the 5.0 seems to suffer from weak trunk springs as the trunk does not open by itself, even though it unlatches when I stand there for three seconds.
The 3.8 has a problem with the sunroof, where most of the time it will close half way then re opens.
Both are scheduled to get repaired.
Minor inconveniences, but not the end of the world issues...
Still the pluses are too many to list and we both still love these cars.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
The coolant reservoir location in the 5.0. You have to use the coolant reservior dipstick just to check the fluid levels since you can not just eyeball the coolant level due to where the tank sits.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.